You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Yeah, the old orbit-kraken is a bugger. I use the alt-12 menu, or hyperedit, to put them where they should be. Don't see why they should suffer because of game bugs :)

That said, I'll accept deaths that are my own fault due to design errors rather than glitches in the matrix. Had a Duna mission that was very nearly a catastrophe for all concerned. Had to jettison the snacks cannister to get enough delta-v for aerocapture on return to Kerbin! :o

Yeah, the old orbit-kraken is a bugger. I use the alt-12 menu, or hyperedit, to put them where they should be. Don't see why they should suffer because of game bugs :)

That said, I'll accept deaths that are my own fault due to design errors rather than glitches in the matrix. Had a Duna mission that was very nearly a catastrophe for all concerned. Had to jettison the snacks cannister to get enough delta-v for aerocapture on return to Kerbin! :o

This is my philosophy exactly. If I did everything correctly and the game made an error, the debug menu is the easiest way to make things right.

Launched a kerbaled mission to Eve last night. I've always had bad luck with this planet. Got my encounter, set an alarm in KAC, and went about running my space program for the next 150 days or so without thinking about it. Got close to my alarm, jumped to my ship...and wow, I'm going to miss the planet by 376,000 km. I'm guessing floating point rounding errors got me. I'm running TACLS and unfortunately, there's just no way to resupply the ship or get back to Kerbin before they all die. Bonus: ship contains both Bob and Jeb.

Has anyone else completely whiffed like this? Share your stories and make me feel better!

First you should have life support for the wait for the next transfer window and the trip back so you should have fuel for at least one orbit. An 6 km/s dV probe with some hundred kg of life support should be able to intercept and match speed before they run out, giving you more time. Either do an future intercept with Kerbin or launch an second slower mission with more life support and spare fuel.

Only exception might be if this is just an crew transport and you have an base with more life support you go to.

Tell us more about the ship, spare dV and life support duration in days. Can you drop anything?

has not run into this problem yet, however I managed to forget to activate TAC water purifiers and co2 scrubbers while not having any storage for co2 and wast water so I had to launch an resuply mission to Duna and Jool.

My worst experience was the scientist I lost then I found that the spaceplane did not have any sas functionality, i was picking him up in orbit before the pilot left for Mun.

No I did not discover it before after mechjeb landing autopilot had done the deorbit burn :( had I found out in orbit I would sent an pilot or just waited until the pilot was done with his mission.

Plane was hard to control in flight and did not have an escape system so it crashed hard while landing.

Only exception might be if this is just an crew transport and you have an base with more life support you go to.

Tell us more about the ship, spare dV and life support duration in days. Can you drop anything?

This is pretty much exactly what I did. I set a resupply mission ahead of the crew to rendezvous in Eve orbit once I got there. I only have enough on the ship for a one-way trip plus about 20%. Oops.

Drop anything? I'm not sure I understand the question. If I understand correctly, the only thing I can drop is a small rover I brought along, but it only masses about 1.7t, not much of a difference there.

I'll probably just use the magic of hyperedit to fix the problem.

unfortunately, there's just no way to resupply the ship or get back to Kerbin before they all die. Bonus: ship contains both Bob and Jeb.

I have an idea, but you're not going to like it..

Flip a coin, whoever loses goes into deep space in the EVA suit, that should double the lifespan for the other kerbal. Well, the needs of the many, I suppose.

I have had similar accidents. I am sure that there is some error in game or mods, but I can not reproduce these rare events reliably to investigate them. It happens maybe one time per hundred, almost only on trajectories from outer planets to inner planets. Typically I adjust periapsis well in the target's SOI immediately after I leave the SOI of the departure planet. Then I use MJ to get midcourse correction. I put alarm in KAC and go to manage other things. When I return after tens or hundreds of days, I notice that ship is on totally different trajectory. It takes hundreds of meters per second to get another encounter. My missions does not have it in normal case. Sometimes I fix that with Hyperedit, sometimes I roleplay some technical problem and accept failing of the mission. I use TAC LS too, so waiting for another encounter does not work. I suspect that it may be due to erroneous SOI transition shortly after leaving the SOI.

I had once problematic three man Dres mission. I was returning from Dres and when I executed midcourse correction I noticed that I had not enough supplies due to my calculation error. Fortunately I had enough time for unmanned rescue ship. It took more than 10 km/s dv but succeeded.

My best mistake was forgetting to put a life support o2 tank in a space plane... I launched the fighter up and the pilot died before it could came back down to thick enough atmosphere.

This was my biggest mistake. I learned from it, now every craft I make has a life support system and a backup system, a crew escape system, either ejection or cockpit ejection system. If it is an interplanetary craft it has a reserve life support of at least 3 months.

I have yet to really figure out how to do gravity assists. Every time I try I get slung out in ways that are admittedly cool, but unhelpful.

As a general rule, if you're going outwards, gravitational interaction will boost you outward. If you're going inwards, it'll sap energy from your orbit. You approach Eve, and before you get too close, you can adjust your orbit with mid-course corrections. Experiment a bit with it, and you should be able to get an orbit with Eve at apohelion. With a small burn around Eve, taking advantage of the ever-popular oberth whatsit, you can set your perihelion close enough to Moho's orbit. Then you do a few solar orbits and a few corrections until you get an encounter.

Me: But this handy chart I downloaded says 2200!

:)

Transfer Window Planner for the win...I've had similar problems with the dV chart, also it assumes stock aero, so with Stock Drag Fix, my LKO stages normally need ~4.1km/s instead of 4.5. There's also the original Windows app if you want to keep your modcount low.

One thing I learned setting up transfers is that you should aim for an intercept that is as tangent as possible to the destination's orbit. The closer you are to a tangent, the less dV you'll have to spend circularizing. Before TWP, my manual Moho intercepts would leave me with 0 fuel for maneuvers and in a large orbit.

Well... this was well inside space....

avWWMau.jpg

Ly8gHLj.jpg

Two small Eve probes, designed to gently land, get some science, and send it back to Kerban. But apparently, it and its sister probe discovered warp drives upon touchdown and got the hell out of doge. Also note the 15+g's of acceleration still...

Launched a kerbaled mission to Eve last night. I've always had bad luck with this planet. Got my encounter, set an alarm in KAC, and went about running my space program for the next 150 days or so without thinking about it. Got close to my alarm, jumped to my ship...and wow, I'm going to miss the planet by 376,000 km. I'm guessing floating point rounding errors got me. I'm running TACLS and unfortunately, there's just no way to resupply the ship or get back to Kerbin before they all die. Bonus: ship contains both Bob and Jeb.

Has anyone else completely whiffed like this? Share your stories and make me feel better!

Make sure you set your KAC alarm a little before the Soi change. If you change soi while in high time warp, it can really throw off your intercept, because each 'tick' of calculations is bigger, so your first tick in the new soi is very different from where it should have been.

I got a new computer of epicness to replace the coalputer! *Jeb and co. celebrate*

I built a plane that does 600m/s at sea level! :D

I.... er.... attempted to pull up.... :(

...Well, they'll respawn.

FAR? :)

And it still look like it is going fast. Backwards.

So, for the past two days I've been trying to launch my Mun base, and for the past two days it's gone horribly. I've had everything from mechjeb shattering my ship into about a million pieces to the resource pod crashing at over 600 m/s into the Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.