You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

The first time I went to Mun I accidentally pressed "c" for the first time and couldn`t figure out how to get back out of the cockpit again before I crashed. I completely forgot to take a picture at the time. This is from my first relatively non-disastrous trip to Minmus. I had made a polar return orbit to take science from the arctic, but ran out of fuel before I could finish the last burn. And missed the atmosphere so I got stuck in orbit. Literally a bic lighter would have given me enough fuel to finish the last burn. Unbelievable!

Nice polar vortex graphical bug though, so at least it wasn`t for nothing.

screenshot2_zpsmrzioerk.png

Contract: build a Minmus surface station, plant a flag on Minmus. Okay! Designed a single gigantic lander with lab, science bay, rover docks, etc, but since it's never coming home again, no need for a re-entry stage. Did a test launch to see if it would get into orbit, intending to revert and fine-tune the design. Got into orbit on the first try, so hey let's shoot for Minmus. Docked with Kerbal Station One to refuel, then fired for Minmus.

While outbound, took the time to double-check the contract. "Build an outpost on Minmus with power (check), 9 person capacity (check), and a communications antenna.

A ... communications... antenna. Oops.

Revert! Can't revert. Okay, let's go back home. Wait, no re-entry shield. Okay, let's bring it back into low orbit and dock it as a new Kerbal Station One module. With landing legs, sure, but at least I can recover the astronauts later. So I modify the orbit to a free-return trajectory, and then I decide to get clever: I'll aerobrake in Kerbin's atmosphere to save on delta-V.

Did you know that a 9-kerbal habitat is very big and very lightweight? It's got a lot more drag than you'd think.

Literally a bic lighter would have given me enough fuel to finish the last burn. Unbelievable!

Did you get out and push?

(seriously: you can use the kerbal EVA jetpack as an emergency source of delta-V. It's tedious, but it works)

Oh you evil developers! Can't quite reach the materials bay from outside the service bay. Well, looks like a lot of room in there. Maybe Kerberry could slip inside real quick and grab the science!... uh oh... oh dear, you certainly made a mess of things, Kerberry.

5XuOXqy.png

Did you get out and push?

(seriously: you can use the kerbal EVA jetpack as an emergency source of delta-V. It's tedious, but it works)

This would never have occurred to me. i don`t like the jetpack much. The first time I used it was when the hatch decided to shoot my kerbal into space when I pressed EVA. I had to pause and go look on the web to find out how to use the damn thing and then spent 45 minutes trying to get back to the ship. I try to avoid going EVAs as much as possible after that:(

No pictures unfortunately.

I was doing a tourist contract, early on in career mode.

Concept for the vessel was a rocket with a final stage that re-enters and lands like a plane. The plan was it would glide into landing... hopefully at the space centre, but really anywhere.

Due to weight restrictions, and so I could attach the early stages on the bottom (rather than a space shuttle type arrangement where it is strapped to the side), there was no jet engines, instead relying on a LV-909 to de-orbit the plane, maybe give it a little push in the atmosphere to regain control. No parachutes of course, because, well, this plan is foolproof... clearly.

Take off went fine, of course it would with Jeb at the controls, the cargo.... um ... I mean paying customer was enjoying themselves. Performed de-orbit burn. Entered atmosphere within sight of the KSC. So far so good.

Lost control during descent, starting descending backside first.... seems the LV-909 was not powerful enough (who'd have thought it) to help me regain control. I struggle, but never manage to get the nose down. The little LV-909 is burning like a trooper, but all its doing is slowing me down a little, and giving me virtually no forward velocity (I'm assume because of the angle of attack of my fall is killing forward velocity.

So the vessel is falling, taking its two occupants to their inevitable demise at just under terminal velocity... really lamenting my overconfidence at not having cutes as backup... the occupants are completely helpless.. BANG!! The craft hits the ground. Fuselage, wings, engine all explodes... BUT.... the M1 cockpit carrying Jeb and the M1 line cockpit carrying the tourist miraculously survive. They make those cockpits tough.

Lessons learned? YES, YOU FRACKING NEED PARACHUTES!!!

This would never have occurred to me. i don`t like the jetpack much. The first time I used it was when the hatch decided to shoot my kerbal into space when I pressed EVA. I had to pause and go look on the web to find out how to use the damn thing and then spent 45 minutes trying to get back to the ship. I try to avoid going EVAs as much as possible after that:(

You just described every single first experience with EVAs (though half of those didn't eject. That only happened about half the. Now, they've fixed that bug so it only happens about 1/10th of the time).

EVA packs is an essential skill in the game and really rewarding when you get it down. Also, it's the only way to really benefit from all the cool stuff in KAS and KIS. I suggest next time you're in orbit you drop a quicksave, EVA, and fiddle around.

This is really a bug, but I preferred to tell it as a one in a million catastrophe. No pics unfortunetly

I was returning in a space-plane (which I call the Falcon IB) from a visit to the KSS (Kerbal Space Station). The vessel came down, just south west of the KSC. Everything was going by the book. Lined up the runway, descended, touched down.... accidently scraped the R.A.P.I.E.Rs on the tacmac...blowing them off. Pretty much at the same moment the launch pad blew up, for no clear reaon.

I'm sure there is probably an programmy type answer to explain it. However, I prefer to think that there was a chain of events, which, while highly improbable, conspired to destroy the launch pad. The engines hit the tarmac, exploded, which launched a rock that had been on the runway in the direction of the launch pad. This hit a worker who was performing routine maintenance to the launch pad, causing him to drop a lit welder, that ignited some spilled fuel.

Lost control during descent, starting descending backside first.... seems the LV-909 was not powerful enough (who'd have thought it) to help me regain control. I struggle, but never manage to get the nose down. The little LV-909 is burning like a trooper, but all its doing is slowing me down a little, and giving me virtually no forward velocity (I'm assume because of the angle of attack of my fall is killing forward velocity.

They massively nerfed the 909's sea-level Isp, and because lower Isp now means less thrust instead of higher fuel consumption, the 909 has hilariously little thrust near the surface of Kerbin - less than the 48-7S, in fact. (With the 909 nerf, we really need a new small general-purpose engine that fits between the 48-7S and the LV-T30. :-/)

I'm a new one, so first hello to the community here.

I just wanted to make a sub-orbital flight, which orbit went over minmus, but then i left the SOI of Kerbin, so Bill floats in space. I have decided to make a rescue mission later.

screenshot3ucsd6.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.