You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Just tried to set up a Geo-synchronous orbit around Minmus for remote-tech with four satellites only to find that I was orbiting in the opposite direction of rotation.

Edited by Jman

It's not so much the going to space that was an issue today:

I4SqEIW.jpg

Was a rescue the stranded kerbal mission, misjudged lining up to drop the capsule down and caused a slight issues with my rocket's fuel tank.

Kerbal got out and pushed, we used the service bay as a heatshield and eeeeaaaassssseeeeddddd into the atmosphere.

Turned out well in the end, but was a nervous time.

I once had to abort a mission because I forgot to add lights.

Now that sounds like a minor issue, but try to land your vehicle on the edge of a cliff in the Mun mountain polar region within a margin of error of less than 3m of the not-so-well-chosen landing zone of my lab, while it is pitch-black dark, and just won't get any better, because it is the polar region.

Edited by Two

My first mun landing attempt:

I designed a rocket with a lander and a small return craft. All goes well until halfway to the mun. Then:

Out of electricity.... I have no solar panels or engines generating power, and have had SAS on all the way. Oh well i can still turn the craft while the engines are running.

I manage to separate the lander and after a couple of quick loads actually manages to land on the mun! Success. The return to mun orbit also goes well.

I had at this point never attempted to rendezvous before and it turns out that this is relay hard when you cant turn your craft without the engines on... After 10 quick loads i finally manage to get the crafts within 4km of each other. Jeb bravely jumps out and using most of his jet pack fuel to get to the return craft.

One quickload later he does the same maneuver, this time bringing all the science stuff from the lander...

The return craft does not have alot of fuel so the first attempt at getting back to kerbin ends in a fireball.

The second attempt is more successful, and after a victory lap around kerbin the decent looks like it will succeed.

This is the point in the mission where the kerbal rocket designer suffers from a acute case of lead poisoning to the back of the head.

There are no parachutes on the return craft...

After three hours of play the pod hits the sea at mach 2.

I rage quit the game.

10 min later i turn the game back on and design a new craft, including things like solar panels and parachutes.

Edited by Nefrums

My accidental first Minmus landing, definitely.

I was on a munar trajectory when I overshot, was slingshot out of the Mun's influence and encountered Minmus. I may or may not have forgot to add paracutes (career mode and I collected loads of SCIENCE! and I forgot all landing gears AND a communitron.) To this day, Kolbee Kerman is stuck in orbit around Minmus, while I try to redo my accidental munar slingshot (I'm still incapable of going to Minmus on purpose because I'm no good at altering orbit angles) with a ship with parachutes and an extra crew space to return my SCIENCE!

Somehow, one of the fuel lines on my 10k/s DeltaV interplanetary rover launch vehicle stopped being connected. Because it was asparagus staged, everything burned unevenly, resulting in this:

rfLbHJ4.jpg

zjhLvBT.jpg

On the plus side, I got to test the parachute deployment system, subsequent decouplers that kill the chutes, and perform a 20-minute rover test in Kerbin's highlands. All of that worked perfectly, and illustrated a solar panel issue I needed to address.

My first mun landing attempt:

I designed a rocket with a lander and a small return craft. All goes well until halfway to the mun. Then:

Out of electricity.... I have no solar panels or engines generating power, and have had SAS on all the way. Oh well i can still turn the craft while the engines are running.

I manage to separate the lander and after a couple of quick loads actually manages to land on the mun! Success. The return to mun orbit also goes well.

I had at this point never attempted to rendezvous before and it turns out that this is relay hard when you cant turn your craft without the engines on... After 10 quick loads i finally manage to get the crafts within 4km of each other. Jeb bravely jumps out and using most of his jet pack fuel to get to the return craft.

One quickload later he does the same maneuver, this time bringing all the science stuff from the lander...

The return craft does not have alot of fuel so the first attempt at getting back to kerbin ends in a fireball.

The second attempt is more successful, and after a victory lap around kerbin the decent looks like it will succeed.

This is the point in the mission where the kerbal rocket designer suffers from a acute case of lead poisoning to the back of the head.

There are no parachutes on the return craft...

After three hours of play the pod hits the sea at mach 2.

I rage quit the game.

10 min later i turn the game back on and design a new craft, including things like solar panels and parachutes.

This was my first Mun landing in a nutshell, except for the part where I also hit the mun first with lateral momentum, broke my "landing fins" went somersaulting across the Munar surface and barely landed in a semi-upright position so I could get back to orbit at all.

Good on you for only taking 10 minutes after the rage-quit to get back to the game. I think it took me a week to cool off. :wink:

No screenshots, just a list of fails in space.

I sent a batch of probes followed by a station to the Eve system. The Eve scannersat was able to maneuver into the contracted orbit, but ran out of LFO when maneuvering into scanner orbit. The Ap was only 35km (1535km, needs to be under 1500km) too high for the scanner to work. Fail 1

Never really noticed that the probe carrier entered the system retrograde. Neither the Gilly scanner nor lander have the 1700dV needed to brake into Gilly orbit. Fail 2

When my station arrived, I retracted the the solar panels for aerobraking, and used a burst of engine power to bring my Ap a little lower. With the engine on, I switched to map view, which summoned a Kraken glitch (no orbits visible, Eve the color of rocket flame). Restarting KSP solved that little issue, but when I went back to my station and warped back up to Ap, it took me a few minutes to figure out why nothing was responding. I thought maybe the Kraken was still hanging around, but then I realized I hadn't put the solar panels back out!

So I sent Carselle (whom I had rescued from Mun orbit before burning for Eve (long story in the What I did Today thread)) out to deploy the Gigantors (again). Unfortunately, the throttle had been left on full! So when the Gigantor deployed, the station took off, clipping Carselle with Gigantor and shattering it. Fortunately there was only a whiff of fuel left in that stage, so Carselle was able to hit the RCS pack and catch up. I'll call that Fail 2.5.

The only named quicksave I have to go back to is way back at the midcourse correction. Or maybe I'll use the JumpStart ship still attached to the station to do the 'Explore Gilly' contract. I dunno yet. G'nite

- - - Updated - - -

Having my Gilly probes going retrograde around Eve wasn't as big a deal as I thought. My initial maneuver planning for Gilly orbit insertion was at the worst possible time, with Gilly at Pe. By maneuvering for an encounter near Ap, I was able to complete their missions with much less dV required. However, I did lose my Gilly lander hopping from one biome to another. I was watching the trajectory in map view and must have had a CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) incident.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I made about a dozen new craters in the Mun last night trying to land my unflyable Munar landing SSTO. I thought I was being clever by mounting a turbo and a nuke together in the center rear on a vertical bicoupler, with each canted outwards to offset its off-center position. I only wanted one of each kind of engine on an otherwise symmetrical space plane. That actually worked great early in the flight profile, when the CoM was near where it was in the SPH, way out ahead of those engines. The design performed great on the initial ascent, and I was able to get to a 100 km KO with over 2000 fuel and the nuke. The engine still worked fine through all my orbital maneuvers, easily getting me to LMO with like 1400 fuel left. But by the time I was actually trying to land on the Mun with that crooked nuke, the CoM had moved so far back that the engine pretty much just wanted to make the ship go round and round. By burning the straight-mounted RAPIERs with my remaining bipropellant I was able to barely keep the thing under control, but despite maybe 10 attempts I never managed to touch Jebediah down properly. I.e. on the rear-mounted landing legs. I did manage to land on my wheels undamaged one time, but without enough fuel to get home, and when I tried to take off horizontally I cleared the ground but then crashed into a mountainside before I could get my heading up enough. By this time my wife, who had crawled into bed across the room a while before, was giving me and my rocket sounds all kinds of stink-eye, so I hung it up. I guess I'll try again tonight, but that is no way to fly. back to the drawing board...

Built a LV-N powered probe for Eve - landers for Eve/Gilly and a Gilly orbiter stacked like tuna cans, a cluster of materials modules, goo canisters, and science coming out its ears. Aerocapture to Gilly dropping the Eve lander went great, Gilly lander and sat. also went well, then back to Eve orbit for moar science.

And I realize that I didn't put an antenna on the core probe, and all the science on the core waiting to be transmitted back to Kerbin is stuck...

Ack. Thbbft.

i played with my planes today,and made a shuttle

the plane was fine, i did some stunts near the R&D, then my wing hit the tower, tried to land, exploded.

so, SHUTTLE!

it was a fine day at the KSC when the kerbals realized there was a flaming debris rushing down the clouds and at that moment they realized

it was the shuttle.(all 7 crew sacraficed themselves to make a good firework show.)

May they rest in kerbal peace.

Flew a plane to the north pole as a proofing flight for its cross range capabilities. The thing's gonna be sent off to Laythe so it needs some damn good range considering I don't have the budget (this is sandbox so read budged as patience) to design, send, and land a refueling system for them this transfer window. Went to the north pole, touched down, and then the atmosphere stopped. Yes that bug. So I stranded Val and a rookie at the north pole. By a miracle, the plane started rolling so I turned it south and eventually caught air in the intakes.

stupid bugs. DERRRP!

they where in space. but they dont return... the aerobreak PE on duna was to low. the whole craft slammed down the surface. no chance to avoid. at the moment when i desceided to rescue the lander it was to late. everything smashed on duna...

I can't even get past 10k meters. I follow Mr. Manley's tutorials, every time I start to turn at about 10,000 meters my (very) basic rocket spins out of control.

Sounds like you're following the tutorial for the old KSP atmosphere. You want to start your gravity turn at only a thousand meters now, or once you hit 100m/s. Don't let your nose get too far away from your velocity vector, but just starting earlier (before you have all that momentum) should help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.