You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

ASTRONAUT PRESUMED DEAD

From KSC: Earlier today an unnamed, high-ranking administrator from the Kerbal Space Program (KSP) confirmed that Jebediah B. Kerman is indeed missing in action and presumed to be dead. Jebediah had been piloting the Explorer 1 spacecraft on its maiden voyage when it broke up during reentry. The administrator said that mission control lost contact with Jebediah just after re-entering the atmosphere. Witness reported a fireball in the sky followed by strange black debris landing around the supposed crash site. According to the administrator, "the most likely cause of breakup was high temperatures, due to the lack of a heat shield on the craft". When questioned why there was no heat shield on the spacecraft, the administrator shrugged and said that "the engineers probably forgot". No internal investigations are currently planned by the KSP. Jebediah is suspected to have landed in the Eastern Sea, if anyone knows where Jebediah is, they are urged to contact Kerbal Daily.-Leeroy C. Kerman

I was testing a launcher for my first manned missions to Minimus and the Mun. The launcher worked as well as can be expected in KSP, and I managed to collect some high-orbit above Kerbin science. Jeb went on EVA and transferred the science from the experiments to the capsule, and I used the rest of my fuel to burn retrograde. Everything was going well during reentry, until a message appeared saying that my only parachute was broken due to aero forces and heat, and I watched as (luckless) Jeb smashed into the ground at 100 m/s.

I've been trying to get a Mk3 spaceplane up and running. So close to making it off the runway without the gear failing....

SoMsPfV.jpg

Turn out even in that state it flew decently well. And by decently well I mean accelerated to 1300 m/s and got to 13k altitude, overheated and blew up all its control surfaces, and crashed into the ocean. So, ya know, good by kerbal standards.

djHZaao.jpg

I've been trying to get a Mk3 spaceplane up and running. So close to making it off the runway without the gear failing....

http://i.imgur.com/SoMsPfV.jpg

Turn out even in that state it flew decently well. And by decently well I mean accelerated to 1300 m/s and got to 13k altitude, overheated and blew up all its control surfaces, and crashed into the ocean. So, ya know, good by kerbal standards.

http://i.imgur.com/djHZaao.jpg

Looking at your second picture. You know your in trouble when even Jeb looks a bit concerned :D

Sadly, no going to space for me today. With the exception of a couple of hours of yardwork, I've spent the last 13 hours hours having my computer find new and innovative ways to crash over and over, attempting to install a decent graphics mod, breaking KSP several times over, and now battling entirely unrelated BSOD problems.

On top of that, got to give my cat a shower this morning due to an egregious hygiene failure on his part involving his long hair and at least one malodorous bodily function.

Not a good day for going to space, it turns out.

Actually went to space today trying to construct a multipurpose spacestation at LKO, atleast that's the idea, but as soon i orbit the station core i deorbit it immediately. Just because i have no idea how i'll go with the other 3 sub-modules. I'm obviously suck at doing a station design.

Instead doing work at VAB i went to SPH to play with planes... another day went by fast.

Edit:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by TokiTech

I had some "brilliant" idea to get a good weight distrbution for my re-entry stage.

So I put the RCS tanks under the hitchhiker module to get that CoM more pointed towards the heat shield.

While ascending after reaching Mach 1, my four RCS tanks began to break off one after another.

And after that, all four main chutes on that sloped cone part also flew away.

"Aerodynamic stress".

"I love my four little RCS tanks at this nice spot there........well, three RCS tanks will also suffice............oh, hm, I guess I can also work with two..............well, well, well....nobody said it would be easy, ha? Just one of them is kind of sporty, but I'm so pro ya know..............ok, guess I won't dock with my space station today. But at least I still have my 4, ...erm, 3, .....2.....precious... I mean 1 shiny parachute on that thi............jeez, I always wanted to try to land with drogue chutes only... *hits the ABORT button*"

I did manage to land with only destroying my heat shield from the 10.4 m/s touch down,

but it was really sad to see my gorgeous, perfectly engineered re-entry stage dissolving in mid-air. ;.;

yEj0M2X.png

I fixed it by packing the whole thing in a draggy fairing (FAR says, it has more drag than without, so I normally don't use them... (I'm still on 1.0.2)).

My first attempt with fairing however also failed. This time because some of my SRBs damaged several of my control fins upon staging.

When hitting BACKSPACE, my emergency abort sequence also failed, because I forgot to add the fairing to the procedure.

My thrusters all shut down and my re-entry stage properly decoupled from the main rocket, but it was stuck in the still closed fairing and I then couldn't detach the fairing manually, because my command module was already separated from the rest of the rocket.

A parachute in a fairing does not really work that good...

So I added sepatrons to the top of each SRB.

And now it's all good. :rolleyes:

*no Kerbals were harmed during the creation of this post*

Edited by Cairol

I had some "brilliant" idea to get a good weight distrbution for my re-entry stage.

I did manage to land with only destroying my heat shield from the 10.4 m/s touch down, but it was really sad to see my gorgeous, perfectly engineered re-entry stage dissolving in mid-air. ;.;

I think you misunderstand what 'perfect' means. Perfectly engineered rockets tend not to dissolve :P

Although I can't talk. I had a rather expensive, rather fancy high-altitude plane that I was toying around with, tinkering with ramjets and turbojets and all those fancy aerodynamic terms. However, I forgot any of the ancillary details. Like drogue chutes. Or airbrakes. Or an ejector seat. Or anything else to help my plane land in one piece rather than my pilot undertaking an overly aggressive lithobraking manoeuvre. So she died, I lost half of my available funds and there's now debris scattered over several hundred metres of the grasslands around my KSC.

Ion engines to Moho? Great, no more worrying about delta-V! Stop off at Gilly on the way back? Sure, that's fun for jetpacking! Let's go to Bop??? Yeah...I didn't think that through...my already low-TWR ship just had its thrust slashed to about 10% of normal. I will go to space, but it isn't going to be finished today.

It seems my ship didn't like flying with the service bay doors open; the Hitchhiker above the service bay kept shaking off everything attached to it, even after quickloading and trying again. Closing the doors before liftoff after a quickload seemed to prevent that from happening.

QFavPla.png

Jeb went to space today. Sometimes after playing for awhile I get bored and do stuff I plan on reverting back to the VAB. After a long play session the other night I suddenly remembered that it used to be pretty easy to launch a rocket, burn straight up, and have an escape trajectory not only from Kerbin but also the Sun. So I gave it a halfhearted attempt with Jeb as the pilot, burned through all my fuel, checked the map (nope Jeb was on his way to a solar orbit), and then promptly misclicked and hit the Space Center instead of Revert Flight. So now Jeb is on his way to Solar orbit and I have to send a rescue mission out after him. So glad I don't use life support mods as this may take awhile.

I've been experimenting with an SSTO ship and making it into a 4 stage rocket w/shuttle as the craft doesn't have the fuel to get into a high orbit.

Needless to say I mostly ended up doing back flips. The drag on the shuttle just forces back flips even with the engines on for the shuttle. It is a bit large though, so maybe a new shuttle design would work better.

I suppose the saving grace is I remembered to set up an abort sequence so at least there were no Kerbal losses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.