You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Launched a Duna Cruise ship last night, less fuel and more ore tanks than the first Duna mission because I noticed how much more weight efficient it was to add a large ore tank(3k ore= 6k fuel @ 2tons empty) vs MK3 small fuel tank(2500 fuel for ~1.8tons empty), and as I already had ISRU, swapping out fuel tanks for ore tanks made sense.

Unfortunately I did not do a good job getting into orbit(the ore drill on the landing legs let me drop all the 'drop to horizontal for mining' gear but seems to add a fair bit of drag, and my first stage engines wanted to explode before I got high enough to deploy radiators to cool them, even with a dozen large fixed radiators on it), so I was a bit low on fuel when I got to the Mun.

approximately 30-60m/s low to be exact.

The only saving grace was that approx 30 in-game minutes after the Munar capture burn, I had a station returning from Minmus that was stopping by to pick up a capsule in Munar orbit with full fuel tanks(at twice the capacity) and ore to spare. With luck I can find a place on the skin of my Duna Cruise ship with is not festooned with Gigantors or radiator panels and will be able to claw them together to transfer enough fuel to land and deploy the drills/ISRU. Not quite sure what I will be telling the 5 tourists(especially since I only noticed after launch that one of them wants sub-orbital on Kerbol)

I was exploring that large canyon on Dres:

2nbu62g.png

Then, I wanted to go to the top, for the views. But, since I didn't want to waste the lander's fuel, I used the EVA suit's RCS.

I time warped, so I could walk around the canyon. That didn't turn out well for poor Hansy Kerman...

2rpznh3.png

157g4uc.png

Went to space. Never got back.

1. "All right. Munar polar orbit. Check."
  2. "Let's fire up the thrusters and land this thing"
  3. "OK. Coming in for a landing. Looks quite hilly and steep. Better be careful."
  4. "Hey, I need an EVA report from low orbit above the Mun's poles. Thanks, ScienceAlert!"
  5. *Clicks EVA Report button presented by Science Alert.*
  6. *Watches in horror as Bob's feeble fingers can't maintain their graps of the handholds on the cockpit*
  7. *Cries out when Bob is flung behind the rocket and accelerated by the rocket exhaust*
  8. *Bangs head on desk*
  9. *Manages to land Bob in some forsaken polar crater using the EVA RCS pack and some creative bouncing*
  10. "How am I ever going to get him back?"

Well... not going to space today.

While i was intending to "balance" the engines, the result is äh err not what i wanted... But hey, i have PERFECTLY BALANCED engines... all the time!

What the kell is going on here :D ???

iarXOw9.png

mMulz4G.png

Well, it wasn't today, but was a while back. What I didn't capture was a video showing the rocket wiggling around like a tentacle.

I love the way Nedory Kerman has an expression that says "You don't know what you're doing boss, do you?"

Partial success, partial fail, no lives lost. The basic idea works though.

I like the idea of a catamaran or hydrofoil. Keep it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing like making a long trip to Moho with SCANsat instruments and an M700 Survey Scanner, only to find you've forgotten an antenna to transmit the results. :huh:

Ouch. I've done Jool missions where I had forgotten to "pack" something. Word of advice: if you are falling asleep while playing the game, its time to stop and get some sleep.

I started a test flight with my shiny new spare parts storage box to be prepared for any possible accident.

Then in orbit I sent Judith on a short EVA to inspect the orbiter and latched her to my "Kerbal EVA Security Connector System" (winch from KAS mod).

After the finished inspection, she returned to the pod.

The connector was still floating around, because Judith meant to retract it when back in the orbiter.

So she did....but the cord wrapped around my solar panels and ripped them to pieces.

kb3jby7.png

She thought: Perfect! Now I can open my shiny spare parts box and swing the wrench to fix it in no time!

But when opening the container she realized she had literally EVERYTHING in there, but for a spare solar cell...

But I gues that's what test flights are for. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of a catamaran or hydrofoil. Keep it up.

Since your interested in KSP watercraft, what'ya think of my seaplane?

YfAFhY6.png

Sundiving probe, built as an experiment in thermal management under the fires of Kerbol.

ebt4w61.png

Does it count as failure if the mission profile includes blowing up the craft?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.