You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I did not goto space today.. but its work tomorrow and I thought id have some fun...

I decided to see if 4003 could jump the launch pad.. she did.. but then the train just fell down like a dying catepillar harmlessly.. well most of it..

A tanker wagon decided to snap off one side of a wheelset.. seen in the cloud of exhaust above the locomotive.. apparently wishing it could goto space today.. it came from the side not facing the camera.. although the train seemed to be happy enough... the explosion is a docking port :)

TkB66RS.jpg

So.. she survived that and I got inspired.. so it was time for another go.. I lit both generators and set them to full power.. gave the steering wheel hard over.. and came back for another try!

JA9n2Ex.jpg

And..... Nothing happened :( 4003 didnt seem to mind at all..

V2yG7bV.jpg

so... I decided to accept defeat and take her back to the yard.. generators still growling at full power.. 20 something speed..

there she met her nemesis.. an odd thing for a train.. but it seems the tracks/railway for the rocket assembly building going onto the launch pad... are a natural enemy for a land train...

the loco tripped up.. up ended a bit.. the train kept going wedging the nose into the dirt.. front coupling exploded.. kerbals screamed and gave that sad face..including jeb... but ... kept going..

I wondered how this was possible so I switched to external view..

THIS is what happened..

T5sCMG9.jpg

2 Kerbals in a coma unable to be moved.. the remaining crew member let me apply the brakes.. but the problem was.. 4003 was essenctially surfing her own front bogeys.. with the only remaining wheels under command of the locomotive actually off the ground... they stopped turning.. but since they didnt touch the ground.. the train kept going.. and with it.. kerbals in a coma unable to be revived...

I will not goto space today... I do not have brakes today either :(

Copied Scott Manley's Project Icarus.

Clue: Both met the same ending.

Mine was smaller. And I tried a different tactic.

Here are my notes (or "diary" if you like) of the later part of the venture:

Project Icarus

Alt (Million Meters)

1274 - Severe overheating. Thermometor reads 813 degrees. Scientific parts brown. All else green.

1000 - Fuselage ditched to reduce heating. Gravmax still out of range. Most is red. Thermometer said 1025 then dropped due to lost tail; stabalised at 815.

Speed 41,750m/s

793 - Breaking point

All is red. Expect explosions. Probe core likely to explode.

Thermometer says 1100. dropped to about 900.

712 - Probodobodyne & solar panels exploded taking out the whole thing.

Conclusion:

It was impossible before due to the Kraken. It is impossible now due to heating.

My probe:

Q6bgGrr.png?1OqpN3sr.png?1OL6UHRU.png?1

I don't know what I did, but when I logged into my Eve flyer that was two days out from a manuever node... I seem to have summoned the Hell Kraken. The KSC scene? Deep space. No Kerbin to be seen anywhere.

I have seen a lot of things in KSP over the last three and a half years, but THIS is a first for me.

Copied Scott Manley's Project Icarus.

Clue: Both met the same ending.

Mine was smaller. And I tried a different tactic.

Here are my notes (or "diary" if you like) of the later part of the venture:

Project Icarus

Alt (Million Meters)

1274 - Severe overheating. Thermometor reads 813 degrees. Scientific parts brown. All else green.

1000 - Fuselage ditched to reduce heating. Gravmax still out of range. Most is red. Thermometer said 1025 then dropped due to lost tail; stabalised at 815.

Speed 41,750m/s

793 - Breaking point

All is red. Expect explosions. Probe core likely to explode.

Thermometer says 1100. dropped to about 900.

712 - Probodobodyne & solar panels exploded taking out the whole thing.

Conclusion:

It was impossible before due to the Kraken. It is impossible now due to heating.

My probe:

a>a>a>

Well, sure. You need a shadow shield, and the radiators need to remain in the shade.

I did not go to space today.

I did not even go up.

All I went was down.

SNhBpJQ.jpg

That open crew spot on the far right is where the pilot used to sit.

Bye bye ~$180k

60k for the above rocket.

60k to repair the launch pad.

60k for the replacement rocket, which I crashed into Mun and destroyed completely.

With three tourists onboard.

Became a victim to my own stupidity yet again last night, but not the launches that were the problem!

Trying to do 2 missions simultaneously:

- Dock 2 vessels in Kerbin orbit

- Rescue a stranded Kerbonought in an eccentric inclined orbit that reaches out to the Mun.

Launched Mk1 capsule rescue vehicle with a probodyne whatever to fly it, and a docking port.

Launched a small satellite with a docking port

Rendezvous and docked in a low kerbin orbit.

Sent the rescue vehicle on to pick up the stranded kerbonought.

This is where it started to go wrong...

Attempt 1 - RV'd with the stranded kerbonaught but didn't have enough fuel to get home again. Considered a second rescue ship but don't have the claw yet so couldn't refuel in orbit...sod it reload from save.

Attempt 2 - Matched his orbital plane, pushed the apoapsis out to intercept, accelerate time until close, set up a node to push the periapsis out...controls not responding...no electricity...I'd put a flat solar panel either side of the capsule hatch but had managed to park it with the engine facing the sun so the panels were getting no light. D'Oh

Attempt 3 - Added a 6x1 panel so I could guarantee getting some sun from any angle. RV with the kerbonought...suddenly realise Jeb was gurning at me from the capsule porthole...the numpty had decided to come along for the ride so there was no space in the capsule for the rescue.

Attempt 4 - Finally got the bugger! Saved it and went to bed!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.