You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

My stupidity knows no bounds. Launched a Munar resupply mission (2 return capsules and new lander), booster pushed it neatly in to a 100km orbit, and then I hit a wrong key and accidentaly jettisoned the transfer stage. D'Oh

Alt-L (I think) will lock staging so you can't stage until it's unlocked.

First attemp for a rocket to duna to place three satellites in orbit.

I reached about 1200 m before my ascent stage decided to go another direction than my payload.

Bill didn't want to negotiate between the two, so he hit the "bail out" button.

exXHdla.png

Second attemp with moar struts:

No, those are not stars in the sky. If you add all those things together, they'll form my beautifully engineered "Duna Express A1" rocket. :rolleyes:

8SW0iq8.png

Back to the drawing board...

I still screw up with RemoteTech every so often, mostly because of dumb mistakes.

Getting pretty good at laying commands far in the future. For example, giving the lander all of the commands it will need to land correctly even without an active connection. So, I'm no longer totally at a loss when I lose connection.

On the other hand, I still sometime forget to deploy the antenna after the initial launch.

My first Mun landing was in the dark. WITHOUT LIGHTS!

I sometimes actually find this easier, it forces you to concentrate on your instruments. Looking directly at the scene encourages pilot-induced-oscillations or other overcompensations. With the appropriate mods for instrumentation and guidance, I once did almost an entire approach and land without looking away from the navball (it wasn't dark, I was just super in-the-zone) and ended up metres away from the munbase I was aiming for, nearly landed on top of it!

I sometimes actually find this easier, it forces you to concentrate on your instruments. Looking directly at the scene encourages pilot-induced-oscillations or other overcompensations. With the appropriate mods for instrumentation and guidance, I once did almost an entire approach and land without looking away from the navball (it wasn't dark, I was just super in-the-zone) and ended up metres away from the munbase I was aiming for, nearly landed on top of it!

As long as one of your instruments is a radar altimeter, in stock it's basically suicide

Eh, I remember how I landed an MK3 SSTO plane on Kerbin, out in the wild, in total darkness. Descending some 2m/s at 80m/s (near stalling speed) and praying for terrain flat enough. And then a couple kilometers of braking.

So I'm running RemoteTech & built a rocket. Neglected to put a short-range antenna on it. Fire up the engines. The moment I hit space the launch clamps release, the core engines shut down because no signal, but the solids keep burning... not enough thrust to go up without the mains, just enough to hover... and start lazily drifting towards the VAB not gaining altitude. So I think "cool, at least I'll get a nice explosion!" right? Well...

HN09a6R.png

Only a few meters away from the VAB (Bob, bring me my brown pants!), the uncontrolled rocket randomly tips the other way...

QSwX5e4.png

Does a very graceful pirouette around the launch pad...

ydNlvnj.png

Finally breaks in half...

LfZr73p.png

Does a little of this...

ClSb3j4.png

A little of that...

G7lx3Ev.png

Some more of this...

01WxPI1.png

Bit more of that...

YHB8p8P.png

Fire and flames and explosions, oh my! :cool:

FvslJyu.png

The payload is frickin' intact!

eTcg62A.png

Not a single solar panel out of place inside!

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided I'd go to Duna for the first time (in 0.24), built this crazy tug that went up in pieces (frame with control and crew sections, all 6 LV-N engine pods, radially attached drop tanks, a lander truck with a science lab, a big orange kethane driller/tanker that lands horizontally for Ike, and my ssto).

Spent around 21 evenings building and testing and shaving and tweaking all those bits, then orbiting all pieces and docking over and over again. To crown it, this ssto, that could harvest kethane and had this attachment system for these science pods that you can see there in the middle, so I could rip all the science one biome at a time. Must have spent 7 nights just tweaking that ssto alone. Here's the whole glorious thing, Duna glinting in the background.

Crazy%20big%20ship%20with%20lander%20fuel%20tanker%20and%20science%20truck%20approaching%20Duna_zpsxmismfh0.png

Do you see that wonderful ssto? Noticed the engines? That's right, they're whiplashes. Needless to say, that first crew to take it down to Dunas surface stayed there for a while and I learned Duna != Mars.

Tried to fly a basic space plane to bring three micro-sized short range satellites up to the Mun.

Seems like my ascent profile was a bit too aggressive. My Mk2 cockpit with Phlipp and Mellanie was destroyed by rapid overheating.

hfWPNN1.jpg

There is a probe core installed, so I wanted to at least bring the rest of the craft home.

Sadly I forgot to bring an antenna with me and so had no connection to the KSC .... :rolleyes:

Did you ever play AstroEmpires under the same name?

If so we went to war together a couple times.

Sorry wasn't me.

Anyway, here's an old one of mine. So old, it predates retro and prograde SAS. I'm finally getting around to finishing that save game.

Edited by Soda Popinski

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.