You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

No big explosions but a whole lot of stupid.

Relatively new game, only landed on Mun and Minimus once each.

Contract to put a station in Mun orbit.

To save on launch costs I did a single launch with the station (Lab, Hitchhiker, orange tank, nuke, docking ports), lander, and a Mk1-2 pod based return capsule.

Sent the first crew down in the lander...realised I'd forgotten to fit RCS thrusters, made several unsuccessful attempts to dock with the station before parking it, EVAing the crew over tho the station, and sending the useless lander to crash in to the Mun

Launched a replacement lander, with a second return capsule and extra fuel. Got to the station and realised I've not fitted RCS tanks to the station to store spare propellant.

Sent a crew down in the lander, returned to station, loaded them in the original return capsule...spotted it's got no parachutes

:mad:

So now I'm going to have to dock the new lander to the old return capsule to drag it out of orbit, and the next supply run is going to need an RCS tank with a docking port on each end so I don't lose a port. I did wonder about bringing up a docking port with several parachutes attached but I'm not sure I'd trust it on re-entry and it'd be difficult to fit. Alternatively I guess I could see if I can attach parachutes using KAS but I've not really played with that yet.

A contract to recover a Kerbal and a piece of debris from the surface of Minmus.

The lab (yeah, that's the debris) keeps spawning clipped into the ground... boom.

Also the glitch ate all the contracts and even affected the quicksave I tried reverting to. Reverting to previous save - fortunately, there was a single launch inbetween.

CatastrophicFailure, have you got Kerbin City?

That's from Kerbinside. Kerbin City looks to be, unfortunately, permanently defunct.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I have discovered the secret to unlimited free energy. I have no idea what it is, but it went on exploding for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time till I got bored.

ERs1Kse.gif

What do you use to record with, Hotaru?

FRAPS. That gif has been converted from .avi to .mp4, then trimmed to length (original included 2+ minutes of the capsule rolling around), then converted to .gif online, then scaled down in GIMP, then uploaded to Imgur which did something to it, hence the cheesy quality. Could probably have made it less purple but didn't feel like messing about in GIMP all night. It actually looked pretty good to start with, but on the other hand it's down from 1.13 GB to 14.4 MB.

Mucked up a lunar insertion. Burnt too much dv going for a low-altitude crew report in a highly polar orbit whilst coming in for a landing. Luckily I realised this early enough and managed a successful abort to orbit with enough fuel to return to Kerbin.

Attempt 1: Forgot to set up the lower fuel lines correctly, ran out of fuel in 2 critical thrusters early and didn't make it to space.

Attempt 2: Rearranged fuel lines, looked good at first, but then noticed one tank drained slightly faster than the others... the spacecraft became increasingly unbalanced and did not make it to space. (Forgot to turn off symmetry mode on one of the fuel lines.)

I made a rover to use in Minmus. I tested it in Kerbin. It was amazing, but I didn´t realize that environment changes (gravity for example) may, just may... nah... WILL affect my rover behaviour.

Grip, for example... :´(

I'm glad I have some RCS on my rover, otherwise it'll be still upside-down every time I try to brake or turn..

Wellll what usually happens to me is: I do LOTS of mun exploration, and one of the hardest things to get right is the return. What I usually do is time warp too fast and then my ship blows up on contact with the atmo.

you know you can right-click (or left? I'm not sure) on your trajectory and choose "warp here"? this should solve your problems :]

One time I built a nice nuclear powered lander, flew I don't remember where, and as soon a I stage the nuclear engine the craft starts spinning like crazy. I saved, time accelerated, restored, all no help. I final figured out that the fairing had gotten caught on one of the struts, and was constantly pushing the craft sideways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.