You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I don't have a screenshot of it, but I did royally screw up on an "Apollo style" Mun mission last night. When I was about to rendezvous with the main ship in the lander I discovered that I had overlooked a tiny detail, the orbit of the lander was going the opposite way of the main ship! Lesson learned: make sure the gravity turn is in the correct direction.:blush: 

Just an hour ago, I plotted a really nice return from a low orbit around Minmus that gave me a quick Mun gravity brake into a nice, low, and zero-inclined Kerbin orbit...  and being in Map View the whole time, focused on Mun, I paid no attention to the fact that this course intersected with the surface of the moon I was currently orbiting.

Explosions ensued.

Sorry Jeb!

Edited by boccelounge

Tweaked my SRB thrusts to increase burn times, and to try and stop friction heating on launch - but I think I set my first stage TWR too low (about 1.1)... The rocket slid across the pad and toppled when it hit the edge...

On 3/4/2016 at 8:18 PM, HorusKol said:

Tweaked my SRB thrusts to increase burn times, and to try and stop friction heating on launch - but I think I set my first stage TWR too low (about 1.1)... The rocket slid across the pad and toppled when it hit the edge...

Sounds like someone needs...*takes off sunglasses*...more boosters!

-Jn-

Rescue a Kerbal and their pod mission.

Built a probe with a Klaw, checked the map and realise the target's way out beyond the Mun on an inclined plane, so back to the VAB and beef up the upper stage a bit.

Launch to orbit, then realise I've only got a communitron, but with RemoteTech I'll need a longer range antenna

Revert to VAB and fit a DTS-M1

Launch to orbit, activate the antenna, switch to my ground relay stations and target them to active ship, back to the ship and set up a rendezvous burn, accelerate time to the burn...and lose control of the ship, the ship has managed to align engine to the sun so the OX-Stats are getting no sunlight, and the antenna's drained the battery, no way to recover and as I'd switched away from the ship I can't even revert.

Back to the VAB and fit some 6x1 panels instead of the OS-Stats, launch to orbit, go to switch on the antenna...no DTS-M1, I must have not saved when I launched after fitting it.

Revert to VAB and refit the DTS-M1.  Launch to orbit.  REALISE THERE'S NO #&$*@?$ PARACHUTES ON THE $%&&?# THING!

Rage quit.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

• 1 month later...

Had to relaunch my heavy lifter several times and do some tweaking. Love it when the workhorse decides to stop working correctly after many successful missions. Started with a persistent booster stage separation issue.

50F8108BF4A645AABFDABD49FE52DD0F6853A70B95B1EBD2B4FFEF286EBE639BBEADB961084740A625804FD30B6E3FD85662D4EA90A74C37ED0A043D

So then I decided to switch gears and ended up building my first ever big plane. When I did manage to keep it on the runway it flew pretty good. Landing was a whole nother thing.:0.0:

215E82345E83780E30CD97E8A7BA6B2DE23A5600AB8EA777CA973579F658237BC202EBE6500E91A86E531ACE8B74E86F946E28BE9A9C1471A022770DF0AD42DF74282BEBBDE1FCAA14ACCB3FB997CE17C2588B7777C5DE688E8A047C379499C3E17D636F8ED02999AFA439EFE8B065417BE6B1DF53EEFC98

Back in 0.90 I made a karbonite-powered biome hopper for and it performed a spontaneous disassembly in Minmus orbit. Apparently the landing frame from the karbonite mod didn't really appreciate having stuff clipped into it. And when I deployed the landing gear, well... to make a short story even shorter, one karbonite tank, a science bay, a goo canister and some assorted stuff became an expanding cloud of debris around my ship... all from the same side, which made my craft rather asymmetrical. Thankfully enough of the ship survived to limp back home.

And while the redesigned version avoided being damaged, I did mux up the first landing just a little. I kept SAS on retrograde hold and gave a little too much thrust. And suddenly, my retrograde vector was pointing down... as was my ship.

However, thanks to my excellent reflexes and pro piloting (Read:Dumb luck while mashing the keys in a frenzied panic) I was able to cartwheel it 360 degrees back to the right direction... mere meters from the surface.

And then I realized it had asymmetrical fuel flow...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.