You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

So I decided to play around with hyperedit. 

I may have angered the Mun.

UDx78zK.png

RzQlCpU.png

g0Tzamk.png

Naturally, Minmus decided to join in too.

8pQfWGK.png

This continued on for some time.

qYWHGSg.png

CRJTLKO.png

Then I accidentally told Kerbin to orbit the Mun. 

The game didn't like that.  Kerbin will not go to space today. 

On a side note, I ended up making a bunch of things orbit minmus and Mun rather than Kerbin, after seeing that trying to make Jool orbit Kerbin results in me launching from... Jool.  Suffice to say, I did not go to space that day either. 

Edited by Ryu Gemini

On 2/28/2017 at 0:50 AM, Draalo said:

A while ago, pre ver 1.2, in an early career state i flew to the Mun and land with Val.

I was pretty happy, vessel was a pod with tank + terrier and 2 radial attached tanks + 2 Terrier. Only ~50m/s dV left in the radial Tanks. I calculated my dV requirements and flew well.

(Hadnt unlocked fuelpipes)

Gone on EVA, Val tumbled and touched a landingleg - which exploded (nasty bug). Vessel tipped and layed flat - luckily the Hatch was still reachable.

Did a quicksafe (and learned to quicksave whenever a waypoint like landing has been reached).

I was able to rotate the ship but SAS wasnt strong enough to point the vessel up again.

Hmmm, what to do?

Ship was on a hill, so i orientated it to point the peak.

Did all the science, quicksaved again ( :wink: lesson learned) and throttled up... 6m/s ... 8 m/s ... 12 m/s ... Terrier expolde .. oh, too fast.

Spoiler

Quickload. Throttled up but less. Radial Tanks went empt, so i decoupled. Bad idea. Mainvessel touched the ground and expolded.

Took me 30 or more attempts to reach the peak without running out of fuel in the radial tanks.

After all i was starting in the wrong direction, so i needed more dV than expected to get into orbit and was only able to reach a Kerbin PE of 60km ... took many (MANY!) aerobreaks till Val finally landed.

Not a total fail, Val survived and i got my science but:

It took a whole sunday for a single mission. I cursed all squad members that day. Now i can laugh about it :D

I had a similar occurence on Ike, with a simpler ship. Much easier to badS it into space...

http://coub.com/view/4o2p1

5 hours ago, Mikki said:

I just had such a good laugh about your comments....:D "...Goodbye reentry junk..." "...Cloudy with a chance of steel..." OMG...
:D:)

Well, hopefully I continue to entertain with...

Goofening 2: The Sequel

http://imgur.com/a/iOlVR

This was a tug intended to move the rover from its spot in orbit to a transport ship and join them in holy matrimony with lots of bolts.

My spidey sense tells me this is going to be a trilogy My spidey sense was wrong. Here's Trajectories making modern art though. :D 

Edited by FungusForge

You will not not go to space today! Sigma Dimensions is quite happy to let me make the planet rotate faster than orbital speed. At sensible speeds, simply release the launch clamps and float up! At silly speeds, well you explode, but if you turn on heatproof cheat you go flying at millions of m/s.

So I was trying to design a landing vehicle based vaguely off of that old Boeing Integrated Manned Interplanetary Spacecraft design. Except it was for Arkas instead of Duna. Arkas is a planet with I think about half of Kerbin's gravity (ish), and orbital velocity there is about 1500m/s. Delta-v to reach orbit there is a little more than what is required for Kerbin (it's about 3700m/s) because the atmosphere of Arkas is 80km high with a sea level pressure of 3atm.

The atmosphere density is what caused the problem.

The ascent stage of the vehicle I designed had plenty of delta-v due to four pairs of drop tanks, which should've been fine. The issue lies in the fact that I obtained that amount of delta-v by using an aerospike engine, which of course lacks the ability to gimbal. I think it's fairly obvious what happened next.

I made the mistake of not putting fins on this ascent vehicle prototype. Now, this wouldn't've been a problem if the atmosphere of Arkas was anything like the atmosphere of Duna, but of course it is not. The reaction wheels in the command pod turned out to be vastly insufficient for controlling the vehicle, and once I reached the upper atmosphere (oddly enough it was fine in the denser lower atmosphere) there was no hope of maintaining control.

I'm going to have to redesign the entire lander because the only gimballing engines which are efficient enough to power the existing ascent module are vacuum-optimized.

Edited by eloquentJane

A while ago I had a new asteroid puller sitting on the launch pad.  Went into map mode to time warp until I was in the right place relative to the asteroid's path.  When I go back to regular view, this what i find:

OaZmFGV.png

Oh.  Well that's not quite right. 

The situation quickly deteriorates further, and Katy is not pleased:

Lp8NY3x.png

Lesson learned, I add a launch clamp on the next attempt.

I was flying my XB-70, and decided to turn around and fly home. Half of the plane agreed with me.

Y1SUhuH.png

FukcIJa.png

These were taken pretty much immediately after one another. The plane just decided that it was having none of that "yaw" business. The pilots survived, somehow, despite breaking up at 1200m/s and 16km altitude.

Well, I did get to space. All the way to Duna, in fact, hoping to land a rover. Then my transfer stage ran out of fuel sooner than I had anticipated during the insertion burn.

Okay, no big deal, I thought, I had another stage and plenty of fuel left, so I decoupled. Thing is, I was using the thinner "OKTO" probe core, i.e. the one that doesn't have built-in reaction wheels, to pilot my craft, and the stage I'd just ditched had all the monoprop and RCS thrusters. I don't know if you've ever tried orienting a craft using only thrust vectoring, but suffice it to say, I didn't make it into Duna orbit, let alone the surface.

My next attempt had reaction wheels and RCS in all the right places, and I actually did make it to the surface of Duna, but when I decoupled the rover from the service bay in which it was stowed, it clipped into the landing vehicle. After some vigrous shaking, the Kraken spat out my rover, which landed upside-down, breaking its antenna in the process. 

My next lander didn't come with a rover.

I got to a somewhat high kerbin orbit(180K) to dock with a fledgedly space station, but then I found out painfully, that I had completely funked up with the rcs ports, took me an hour but I failed, leaving debris everywhere and left me considering letting the glorious four be sacrificed to the kraken. After a good night's rest though, I completing the docking in ten minutes. I guess this isn't technically a fail, but I fell asleep cursing dratting my hard luck. 

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

Build a MK2 long Range Science graser...

Pole...Landing attempt.... too Far need to get closer... time warp 2x to low i use physikal timewarp.. My Ship get crazy and I get a Milestone "Leaved the SOI of Sun"...

I get somehow landed the core on shelf (Main stake) but Wings and anything mounted on was on orbital escape...

:D

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Blew a fairing on a 275 ton behemoth while it was still accelerating at 55km... the pieces fell back onto the rocket and detonated the fuel tanks, leaving only the command pods, engines, and ISRU to fall back to ground :blush:

v198PCL.jpg

No pics.  But for those who have used the airship mod? 

Apparently those balloon-parachute things can summon lesser kraken forces if placed too close to each other.  Spent a good half hour trying to figure out why my science plane started to suddenly fly off sideways in circles after lifting off before I figured it was the fact that I replaced the conventional parachutes with newfangled balloonachutes that are apparently made of krakenskin.  

...what?  I didn't want to have to get out and repack the darn parachutes every time I took back off in the thing, okay? 

Huh, I can't believe I didn't already have an account here...

So I picked the game back up for the first time in years. Last time I played was beta. It took me a bit to not blow up in the atmosphere while launching but I finally got there.

After a few orbits and a flyby of each of Kerbin's moons, I sent Jeb to Minmus to land and gather some science. It went perfectly. No problems launching, got my orbital plane aligned easily, set up the best transfer orbit I've ever accomplished, and landed on Minmus on the first try without toppling over. My face was as ecstatic as Jeb's.

I activated all my science sensors and then sent Jeb out to do a soil sample. I jetpacked him back into the command pod (I didn't have ladders yet), and was patting myself on the back for a mission well done.  I did a couple quick checks on the map to figure out my rough launch trajectory, and then hit the spacebar to ignite my rockets and leave Minmus behind.

Then I watched in horror as my rocket didn't ignite. Instead, the command pod separated from my engine stage and crashed to the ground a couple meters away.

I facepalmed so violently I'm sure I woke up the entire neighborhood. I'm considering changing the stage button to something other than the spacebar.

3 hours ago, aRottenKomquat said:

Huh, I can't believe I didn't already have an account here...

So I picked the game back up for the first time in years. Last time I played was beta. It took me a bit to not blow up in the atmosphere while launching but I finally got there.

After a few orbits and a flyby of each of Kerbin's moons, I sent Jeb to Minmus to land and gather some science. It went perfectly. No problems launching, got my orbital plane aligned easily, set up the best transfer orbit I've ever accomplished, and landed on Minmus on the first try without toppling over. My face was as ecstatic as Jeb's.

I activated all my science sensors and then sent Jeb out to do a soil sample. I jetpacked him back into the command pod (I didn't have ladders yet), and was patting myself on the back for a mission well done.  I did a couple quick checks on the map to figure out my rough launch trajectory, and then hit the spacebar to ignite my rockets and leave Minmus behind.

Then I watched in horror as my rocket didn't ignite. Instead, the command pod separated from my engine stage and crashed to the ground a couple meters away.

I facepalmed so violently I'm sure I woke up the entire neighborhood. I'm considering changing the stage button to something other than the spacebar.

this is the reason why i suggested many moons ago. to have a double tap to stage option in the settings menu. 

22 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

this is the reason why i suggested many moons ago. to have a double tap to stage option in the settings menu. 

I fail to see how this would help in this situation. It sounds like he staged intentionally staged, but had it set up wrong so it detached his pod. Double tapping wouldn't change that.

Anyways, my fails of the past week or two:

2017-03-24%2011-00-54.png

This is why we test things.

2017-03-23%2018-36-54.png

"Whoever was assigned to riveting on the starboard wing, you're fired!"

2017-03-21%2016-56-03.png

Dank Kerman does not have a dank plane. He keeps his cool while crashing though. That's how he got his name.

2017-03-15%2019-47-40.png

High speed helicopters are tough.

14 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I fail to see how this would help in this situation. It sounds like he staged intentionally staged, but had it set up wrong so it detached his pod. Double tapping wouldn't change that.

I shouldn't have staged at all, all I needed to do was throttle up. But after jumping and jetting Jeb up to the command pod, my brain was in full "Spacebar to go up" mode.

34 minutes ago, aRottenKomquat said:

I shouldn't have staged at all, all I needed to do was throttle up. But after jumping and jetting Jeb up to the command pod, my brain was in full "Spacebar to go up" mode.

Thats how i understood it. double tap would have most likely saved that situation haha. when nothing happened on the first tap you might have realized, nvm i want shift for throttle. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.