You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I send my first Kerbal, a lot of success until I accidentally hit the space bar and boom, the CM decouples off the MEM, causing Bill Kerman to crash into the Munar surface, at 1709 meters (?) and at around 2000 m/s. It was a failed successful failure to me. :huh:

I feel you, man. I actually re-bound stage separation to the enter key because I sometimes would hit space when not meaning to. Enter by comparison, well, you don't really have any inappropriate twitch memory for that key from other games, and its relatively out of the way (which may be part of WHY you don't). It has been very effective in causing me to no longer separate stages at the wrong time.

My fail?

I forgot those lovely little fuel lines.

On my 300+ ton flag ship that took 5 launches to get up.

Realized when I was at Minmus. *facepalm*

well, you could still transfer it with alt+click on the fuel parts, like you do when docking crafts. Just watch out for the symmetrie :D

where the HELL are my rovers? Yup, going on separate trajectories out of Kerbin's SOI.
Oh man, remember that bug where you'd arrive at Mun and come out of warp, only to find that your side-mounted Poodle engines had jumped ship en route and were now well on their way to interstellar space? Ah, the memories. Of rage and helpless frustration.

We had a little staging error for our first launch under 0.20. After the command module landed on the launch pad, Jeb got out to inspect the damage. Moments later he was almost struck by a piece of rocket that apparently tried to go to space, but failed.

Orbiter-1-1.png

I actually did get to space today. That much in and of its self is worth of a profanity-laced tirade, but the real hair-pulling didn't begin until AFTER I got there. So I've been working on this "simple":confused: station for the past week or so. I'm finally down to my last component, the second of a pair of huge solar arrays with bits from RemoteTech & KOSMOS, and as I'm approaching I see this. Umm something's not right here...

1AgIZ

Apparently that pair of arrays on the right decided to part company with their cohorts & wander off on their own when I was no where near the freakin' thing no less!

OK, it'll be asymmetrical but I can tolerate that I guess. Continue approaching to dock, and spend the next half hour whizzing past the station this way & that cuz the array package is bloody HUGE and some of my RCS ports decide to randomly stop working, giving it all the agility of a glacier. Finally get it lined up, proceed with docking, and on top of everything THIS happens:

1AgJg

Apparently those KOSMOS panels are attached with bubble gum & velcro since the SLIGHTEST LITTLE BUMP sent them scattering like cockroaches when the light comes on. F9'd at least a dozen different times, tried retracting the panels first, tried editing the CFG file to strengthen, always the same. Speaking of cockroaches, this station must have an infestation of micro-kraken. So I decide to just cut my losses & home the existing panels will run the dozen or so comm dishes. I back the delivery truss off & de-orbit it, extending the panels just so I can watch them burn while cackling madly. And what snapped off with just a whisper before doesn't even START to come apart until I get THIS far into reentry:

1AgKx

And then in a final insult KSP crashed about three seconds after so I have to go back & do it all over again

banghead.gif

I swear this station has been cursed from the get-go. This is what happens when you're trying to Kerbal & eat dinner at the same time. Programmed a maneuver into mechjeb from the map screen, switched back, and could only watch helplessly in slow motion while this happened:

1AgLp

F9.

Then I tried launching something with quantum struts engaged and the results were a little... springy.

1AgM8

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

I was on what was going to be my first mission to Duna, so I docked the lander with a big rocket I put in space, and warped for 42 in game days until I was at the perfect position. So, I fire up the engines and it says it'll take 4 minutes. okay, that's understandable since I have a nucelar engine. So I start derping around this thread when I check on my progress and realize that it's burning retrograde, and is reentering the atmosphere.

*facepalm*

It took hours to get them to dock, but at least I learned a few lessons:

Test your RCS with Alt+F12

Make sure to set the reference control thing (that control from here thing) before any maneuvers

Don't derp around the forum during a burn

I was on what was going to be my first mission to Duna, so I docked the lander with a big rocket I put in space, and warped for 42 in game days until I was at the perfect position. So, I fire up the engines and it says it'll take 4 minutes. okay, that's understandable since I have a nucelar engine. So I start derping around this thread when I check on my progress and realize that it's burning retrograde, and is reentering the atmosphere.

*facepalm*

It took hours to get them to dock, but at least I learned a few lessons:

Test your RCS with Alt+F12

Make sure to set the reference control thing (that control from here thing) before any maneuvers

Don't derp around the forum during a burn

Funny you should mention that...

I was having the exact same issue trying to leaving Duna the other day. Couldn't figure out why the ship was in a brazilian pieces on the ground when I came back from dinner...

I posted this in another thread, but whatever. Let's just say my first aerobraking attempt en route to delivering an airship from Jool to Laythe didn't go so well. On the bright side, the floating wreckage made a nice screenshot.

3IPAt96.png

I posted this in another thread, but whatever. Let's just say my first aerobraking attempt en route to delivering an airship from Jool to Laythe didn't go so well. On the bright side, the floating wreckage made a nice screenshot.

3IPAt96.png

You know what? You could just have a massive floating airship complex over Jool.

You know what? You could just have a massive floating airship complex over Jool.

I wanted to do something like that. I also wanted to launch a rescue mission to poor Ademone Kerman... but it doesn't let you return to the space center, because "it's in atmosphere". Was at a fixed height, 0.0m/s for the speed, and it wouldn't let me go back. :(

Back in 0.19, I spent a couple of weeks building a huge ship in orbit. It had 10 orange tanks worth of fuel. Managed to find an old screenshot:

YFSnw62.png

I finally finished it and decided it was time for the maiden voyage, and for reasons I cannot comprehend, the mainsail just falls off as soon as I throttle up. I keep it going for a while, and the fuel is not flowing properly.

Oh well, with all those docking ports it makes a good fuel depot!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.