You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Today, I tried my first attempt at another planet. I prepared a probe with a few science-y bits and set it off. Everything went to plan really. I did make it to space just fine, but I miscalculated on two things. Firstly, I was not correct on my estimation on the timing for the Duna trip window. I was behind schedule. I burned a lot of fuel trying to recover from that. Secondly, I severely overestimated the size of Duna's gravity well (I think I got within 1000k or so, but I don't remember exactly). I expected it to be comparable to Kerbal's. I did not do my research. As such my probe ran out of fuel, is now on a severely skewed Kerbin orbit that takes it within Moho's orbit and just outside Duna's orbit. All for nothing.

And today I finally unlocked Mainsail engines and started experimenting.

Before physics sets in.

6266EB6FFF094B63689CF551817923C42FEBE8DA

If it survives the physics and I actually get to try a launch.

8938E2596F5F4B0497BF5DAC273B492941349852

The Mainsails that didn't die or work.

BF7042F78F51C1541A0075904F4E97B79906B690

Is anybody else reminded of Rocket Town from FF7?

Dang it, Shera. You're making me sacrifice my dream.

I finally unlocked some of the things I needed to return a manned Mun lander. I've brought probes back but something always goes wrong with my manned missions with fuel. I make a perfect landing, run around on the surface a bit and jump back in to make my return trip that will have more fuel than I can burn.

I lift off, set my maneuver and burn for a Kerbin orbit. I start watching TV after initiating the burn as it will take a few minutes. I look back at my screen to see I'm heading straight for the Mun at a high rate of speed. I forgot to turn on SAS after I started the burn, doh!

I put up a nice early career space station to do some science using the mobile lab. I sent it up with a two man return module for Jeb and Tomford Kerman to use when I was done with Science.

I did all my science, got bored and burnt for home. I splashed my station down in the ocean (no reason to leave it up there) before splitting the return module at about 5km for a nice paired landing, something I did for aesthetics and fun.The pods landed safely and I returned to the VAB to prepare for my next mission.

http://i.imgur.com/87k3JKk.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I forgot to do?

I'm gonna guess you left the data in the lab.

After several flights to Mun, Minmus, a successful mission to Duna (and a rescue mission and a rescue-rescue-mission), I decided to build bigger. 1500 tons on the launchpad. Curse you mainsails, I say:

mdZnc6b.jpg?1

It all went fine until i reached the upper athmosphere, then the monstosity started to rotate slowly without me being able to stop it. So what, it still went up as it should, just steering was harder. Then at some point, the mainsale stage decided to push itself through the upper stages, resulting in a big mess. I don't know how, but Jeb magically survived this and splashed down with a single parachute into the ocean.

After a few more tries, replacing/moving weaker parts and a LOT of space ducttape, I finally got it into orbit. The weak spots were control parts and docking ports. Those cant handle too much mainsail powah.

gImP5s1.jpg

The monster is still in Kerbin orbit as I forgot to man the science module :rolleyes:

I'm just preparing a supply mission for it, with additional modules, so it can head to Jool and testland/crash those 6 probes...

Well,I am having attempts on going to the mun:

First attempt,created a pretty big rocket it went out of balance

hBX8tL4.jpg

And erm,8th attempt I finally got to the mun,but when landing my lander ran out of fuel,and landed moving sideways,and tipped over. So I tried to lift it up with remaining 3 units of fuel,and exploded,all thats left is a piece of RCS and the pod.

TUtioBE.jpg

BTW,both kerbals are Jebediah

Bill was clambering around a Duna lander prototype on the launchpad, checking out the ladders and experiment locations, when he slipped and found himself in a rather precarious position.

FNAu8H7.png

No, he's not falling at the time. Jeb told him to just "Hang in there!"

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On my first Duna landing mission, I miscalculated and ran out of fuel just before circularizing the orbit after taking off again. Luckily, I had some monopropellant left and started thrusting prograde. And I end up with a PE 5km below the damn atmosphere.

Just as I'm about to terminate her and go back to the VAB, I realize there's one thing left I haven't tried. I EVA, fly behind the ship and I literally push her forward with my jetpack into a safe orbit. Hopefully this counts as a fail even though I did go to space in the end after all. My most ridiculous KSP moment so far. :')

Edited by Semtex89

I was super excited about the new RAPIER engine. I made the best SSTO I had ever built; it was sleek, it was perfectly balanced...

One problem: I used these parts.

190px-Mk2_FT.png

Which have no oxidizer.

Which makes the RAPIER useless.

I'm still mad about it.

17/23 tries where like insta-explode for no (obvious) reason with the payload surviving every time in its procedural egg...the other six times that newly built rocket actually nearly got into orbit something went wrong with the staging and/or missing sepratrons OR, shame on me, running out of power (duh!!)...so for today, no more fiddling around with this :)

I had gotten to the point where launching to orbit was fairly routine, so I had installed MechJeb to handle that stage for me so I could do something else during launch.

Made the mistake of putting in an upside-down probe core and didn't catch my mistake - MechJeb dutifully attempted to turn the rocket right-side-up and ended up driving it into Kerbin's crust at maximum power.

I had gotten to the point where launching to orbit was fairly routine, so I had installed MechJeb to handle that stage for me so I could do something else during launch.

Made the mistake of putting in an upside-down probe core and didn't catch my mistake - MechJeb dutifully attempted to turn the rocket right-side-up and ended up driving it into Kerbin's crust at maximum power.

This happens to me far too often. I facepalm equally hard every time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.