You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

build today my first kinda successfull SSTO shuttle to transport kerbals to my space station.

After some attempts with the B9 Sabres i replaced them with RAPIER as they are easier to use. So my plane had 4 turbojet and 2 RAPIER.

Flight went perfect till 25km high, speed was above 1600, i started to shut down the first 2 turbojet to get more air for the others. Everything fine so far. Cutted the next 2 turbojet, switched the rapier to closed cycled and pulled up.

And speed dropped and dropped and dropped, the RAPIER started to overheat.... and then i noticed, i put them with the WRONG SIDE on the plane.

So the RAPIER where breaking all the time.... /FACEPALM

Technically this wasn't even meant to go to space - the huge truss is an old Remotetech piece and I wanted to see if I could even make the horizontal launch system stable on the pad. And of course once it didn't self-destruct upon physics loading, I just *had* to try launching to see what would happen. The results were very, very much expected but still rather amusing.

The fifth screen cap is from the second trial. It essentially catapulted a 250 ton mass of SRBs and 2.5m rocket parts back at the VAB when the other half of the launch system collapsed.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hey gang! So I've been playing Career mode quite a bit, and have recently managed my 1st Duna-r landing ever (:sticktongue:), so I decided it was time to expand my horizons a bit more homebound. Thus, the Minmus Science Station was born!

However... there's been a slight mix-up in the VAB. Lemme know if you can spot it. It's one of my more /facepalm moments to date... I'm still chuckling.

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/kWiEV

XD

My first post seems as good as any for some noobie fails.

I started playing a couple days ago after watching Scott Manley's videos and thinking hmm this looks interesting, addicted now! xD Following his tutorials I haven't had any real problems so per se. My fails have been more noobie mistakes than forgetting things etc.

Currently my most heartwrenching one, on my first attempt to send a craft to orbit the mun everything was going perfectly, got the craft there, orbited, sent it flying back to Kerbin. It all went wrong however due to a little impatience on my part I hit the atmosphere and would have come down 2-3 orbits later, thinking I was being clever I pointed my craft at what I thought was retrograde and fired the remaining 5 seconds or so of my fuel. Too late did I realise I'd fired prograde, 5 minutes and a blisteringly fast slingshot later I was now on an escape trajectory. Despite my best efforts I ended up in highly eliptical orbit around the sun, which despite my best efforts with Jeb's jetpack proved impossible to leave. I didn't want to leave Jeb to die alone in space so I tried to rescue him, but low level tech and inexperience with interplanetary encounters just led to 5 more stranded Kerbals.

After a gruelling 50 years in orbit waiting for a favourable encounter with Kerbin (all the orbits of the sun passed within Kerbin's so I was hoping they would eventually get captured by it's SOI or at least slowed down to make rescue easier) Jeb just couldn't take it anymore and removed his helmet on a spacewalk, the other Kerbals quickly followed (I terminated the flights).

On a lighter note, one of my other fails was not so bad! After getting into orbit and then running out of fuel and not being able to deorbit I panicked, but some 8 orbits and a bit of crafty jetpack pushing later I finally touched down!

Edited by nekogod

Well, at least I'm still flying half a plane...

E83hd7R.png

Smashed it into the runway while I was testing how low I could be and safely drop the marker beacons (it's meant to look for colony sites on Eve). The control surfaces almost completely cancel the yawing effect of, you know, only having half a plane. And it still flies, too. Almost better than before the crash :P

For reference, those girders are meant to be the centerline.

I've been trying my first docking. After an hour of failing on thursday, I took a deep breath. I read the wiki. I watched the scott Manley videos. I studied the tutorial threads.

Two hours of slooooow manuvering later, my craft nudge together and stick... but there's no lock. The craft are not registering as "docked". I try turning off the SAS and wiggling, all to no avail.

I'd put the docking port pointing inwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.