You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Okay, this doesn't look like much of a disaster -- but this was after tweaking and relaunching at least a dozen times, and it still only flies with SAS turned on.

8tOfdZs.png

Without SAS, it has an uncontrollable yaw oscillation on the runway (just the Wheesley running); it's also almost impossible to rotate for liftoff without SAS and avoid destroying the Reliant with a ground strike (between the tail booms, not visible from this angle).  Despite the COM being forward of the COL, and even after removing the incidence originally built into the elevons (replaced by "deploy" for stability in air-breathing flight), there's a strong tendency to enter a pitch tumble (possibly due to a wing stall).  And to top it off, though I had no expectation of having enough dV from the Wheesley's ceiling (not much higher than what you see here, seemingly) to get into orbit, retracting the elevons (to zero incidence) doesn't prevent a nearly uncontrollable pitch up as soon as I ignite the Reliant (I expect that's due to the high drag axis of the Wheesley nacelle).

So, though I don't have a photo of any of the many crashes, Jeb will not go to space today (even suborbital) in this spaceplane.

I got the Tug working which was nice (I just spawned at the launchpad, which might be outside of bouncing range). I want to put the glider on top of what I suppose is basically a ballistic missile, to deliver many things to the North Pole. My crack team of engineers worked around the clock to come up with a good design, finally deciding to "bung it on top of a really big load of rockets".

MhPMDsM.jpg

3suLFz9.jpg

ywcTu5n.jpg

fhDTXfO.jpg

j0sG2JN.jpg

Well at least I know the parachuting and rover bit works well enough I suppose...

My latest mission to dock to my Minmus station was a disaster from start to finish. It was supposed to replace the corpses kerbals in the station that were rotting there for 6 years with new "staff".

Everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong. It was sucessful, however.

I constructed a new vehicle that was supposed to dock to the station. The first thing I did was... forget the launch clamps.

No worries; revert to VAB, put clamps on. Then I launched it sucessfully into LKO to find to things wrong: First, I forgot the solar panels. But that's not a problem; If I can get to the station, I can charge the battery with its solar panels. However, a minor miscalculation made that too risky: After arriving in LKO, I realized I only had about 1200m/s dV left. I decided to abort.

Okay, back to the drawing board. Solar panels: Check. Sufficient fuel: Check. Okay, everything's fine, let's do it! Well...

In the middle of the transfer to Minmus, I got less and less connection back to Kerbin... I forgot the antennas. Oh wow, this is a new personal best already. Then I realized something crucial was missing.

Remember that it was a mission to dock to my station? Well, what do you need to dock? Docking ports! What did I forget? Docking ports!

So I had to park next to the station and then replace the kerbals via EVA. I left low minmus orbit, got back to Kerbin, killed some speed with the fuel left, and landed safely in what was the worst mission I had ever done.

Edited by Delay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.