You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Another [/FACEPALM] for me late last night. Was launching a fuel tank into orbit that would eventually be attached to a ship to head to another planet. Since all I needed it to do was get into an orbit and just stay there to be picked up, I didn't bother putting on a battery or solar panels. So as I'm finishing off my circulation burn and I start to throttle down.... doesn't work, try to cut the engine... doesn't work...

Ran out of electric charge and was unable to end the burn. Sat there for a few seconds helpless knowing that this thing was about to take a nice long trip out of Kerbin, possibly even Kerbol. Normally I would've let this play out and left it as a trophy to my incompetence, but it was late and I just ended the flight.

Earlier that same night:

My thoughts on landing on Mojo

ZUTwxl2.jpg?1

We all have issues with the drop of frame rate when having lots of parts, do we ?

So I figured that when you put stut between the launcher and your playload, after staging, the tiny grey bit of the strut COUNTS AS ONE PART !

OK, I deal with this, I'm clever and advised...

A 100t playload maintained by 4 struts is probably enought.

screenshot68w.png

All right, a 100t playload maintained by 4 struts is SURELLY NOT enought.

I'm clever and advised...

It says a lot when your launch clamps explode on the launch pad... BEFORE YOU EVEN LAUNCH THE DARN ROCKET....

This is what is happening to my extra heavy 5m modified Anvil launch lol Darn rocket is sooooooo heavy that the clamps can't hold it up.

It says a lot when your launch clamps explode on the launch pad... BEFORE YOU EVEN LAUNCH THE DARN ROCKET....

This is what is happening to my extra heavy 5m modified Anvil launch lol Darn rocket is sooooooo heavy that the clamps can't hold it up.

Moar boosters clamps?

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

So I decided to send two habitation modules to my interplanetary spaceship. They both reached orbit as planned and they were both on their way towards the ship, but once the maneuvering stage of the first one was separated from the booster stage, I discovered that I had forgotten to add a control source to it.

Attempting to land on Duna, I was coming in way too fast.

05tQuAO.jpg

When the chutes deployed all the way, the capsule was separated from the rest of the craft. I then got to watch as the lander landed itself perfectly, leaving my Kerbals stranded with the capsule broken from an otherwise perfectly useable vessel.

5PdRM3G.jpg

The Dres mission where everything went wrong

So I decided to send a probe to Dres. The craft consisted of one reconnaissance orbiter and one lander (minus the Dres transfer stage to the right).

PPZYaZd.png

It reached Dres with remarkable ease, but then the problems started. As I had expected, the would-be reconnaissance orbiter had to do a lot of braking, but I had greatly underestimated the amount of braking that needed to be done. There would be no orbiting for this one, as it had to sacrifice itself so at least the lander would be able to enter orbit.

Too8hUl.png

The retired reconnaissance orbiter drifted back into interplanetary space as the lander put itself in an eccentric orbit around Dres. However, it ultimately ran out of power before circularization (the batteries weren't expected to last much longer than the time it would've taken to land under ideal conditions), marking the end of the mission.

B1KWTis.jpg

Without any means of recharging its batteries the dead lander remains in orbit around the dwarf planet, forever circling it as a misplaced piece of junk. Many heads rolled at the KSC that day.

Edited by Felsmak

Without any means of recharging its batteries the dead lander remains in orbit around the dwarf planet, forever circling it as a misplaced piece of junk. Many heads rolled at the KSC that day.

It has a docking port! You can redock with it!

Also, Jeb drives too fast.....

hydlWbf.png

Edited by zekes

I abandoned the master craft, so that the lander could at least enter orbit after all that. By the time I remembered that it had no power source of its own they were thousands of kilometers apart. :(

Edited by Felsmak

I got one. Damn it's a good one. I use the fatNose empty tanks mod. You can see where this is going.

I took a pair of rovers and strapped them to a rocket, and sent it in the general direction of Mün. I had plenty of fuel to make it to my destination, and deorbited to my desired LZ, and disconnected the transfer stage. I kicked on the descent engines, to find out that I had used 2 of the empty tanks. I watched the craft crash down on it's own, just for ****s and giggles.

I still feel stupid.

I was building a space station attached to a meteor I hyper edit into orbit.

What ended up happening when your listening to cupcakes lots can happen.

so my newest module ,a new walk way crashed into the space station breaking it up into several pieces.

Now i need to do a rescue mission ,and scavenge what is left of the space station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.