You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

As an experimental mission to see whether or not a landing on Mun was possible Jebediah Kerman was sent out in the Galileo II ship after Bill called in and said he had a runny nose! Seemingly Jebediah was the only Kerbal in the entire space program to remember they don't even HAVE noses, Bill must have been watching that stupid show The Kerbsons again, with those weird, five-fingered, nosed people like Komer and Kbart. Jebediah also know this was a plot by Bill to take from him the first moon landing as their positions on the respective missions were switched. Nevertheless, he accepted and went out, for the adventure ya know, and what else is there to do but go out in somewhat stable rockets.

Still, when he saw the grey face of that Mun he couldn't resist. He set his flight computer to land and thus become the first Kerbal on the Mun. When he got home, however, the kadrenaline started to subside and Jebediah saw he had only 130m/s of fuel left and his rocket wasn't built for landing with such a low amount of fuel. He decided to try nevertheless as he could not reestablish an orbit. He bravely opened the parachutes early knowing that he'd have to cut them at the last moment and fire the engines. He was sure, so sure, it would work:

54rYCiv.jpg

lOk3l7o.png

They made him pay for the plaque himself.

In the end, Jeb went to space, to where no Kerbin had gone before. Galileo III was cancelled, and Bill gave Jeb at least three nasty looks. Jeb got the guy though!

Low Clearance Docking

So I had just finished assembling my orbital space station, and decided to do a Mun mission. I already had a space tug in orbit and docked to the station, so all I needed was to build the lander and dock it to the tug. After a good 20 to 30 minutes of maneuvering during the docking approach, I was almost done. The lander was moving forward nice and slowly, right on target. And then it stops. I look at the display from Romfarer's Docking Camera mod, and it tells me that there's only .25 meters between the two docking ports. Puzzled, I try thrusting forwards with the RCS, but the lander doesn't budge. I realize that the lander won't fit. The way the space tug is built, it has two engines mounted on the sides, with the docking port in the middle. And the lander is stuck between them. Only a quarter of a meter prevents the two craft from docking, but that quarter of a meter might as well have been a million kilometers. I would have to abort the mission and redesign the lander so that it could clear the tug's engines.

what the hell were you trying to make!?

it seems like something coming from jeb

1-5 I think some kind of rover-crane he wanted to put in another planet-moon

6-7 If you look carefully you can see some of the rovers in 8-9

8-9 An orbital rover relay maybe?

I don't have any pictures, unfortunately. But this is what happened:

I tried out a new rocket-plane (wings and jets fall off and leave a rocket behind). I got the rocket stage into orbit, then I realised: no parachutes.

So I got the kerbal out, my station was over 200km away, but luckily I had been working on a Soyuz, that decoupled the orbital section BEFORE de-orbiting. I got there to find to my horror; it wasn't the orbital section, it was part of the launcher with a probe that I forgot to deorbited. With only 2% of the pack fuel left, I launched a rescue mission.

I got my rendezvous trajectory set up. Oh. The ATMOSPHERE.

Take 2: the rendezvous was completed with 100% less unwanted Aerobraking.

I managed to get close to the kerbal when I realised: no RCS, no matter I'll just get the kerbal to get in, If he didn't use up all his fuel correcting his yaw :(. I still managed to get the capsule close enough for him to grab the ladder. He got in, when I realised: NO PARACHUTES ON THE RESUCE CRAFT

Luckily, it had a docking port, so up goes another rescue ship, docks, and then since this was an experimental version, I had been fixing fuel and stability issues, I had forgot, TO PUT PARACHUTES ON THE RESUCE CRAFT TO RESUCE THE RESUCE CRAFT WITHOUT PARACHUTES THAT WAS SENT UP TO SAVE A SHIP WITH OUT PARACHUTES.

It's now a small station

I was sending a probe to the mun so as to "safely" test out my new Artemis class lifter. Managed to get my probe out to 7,000 km orbit and was just preparing my manoeuvre node to hit the mun. Everything was going swimmingly until I hit burn - and found that my batteries had drained flat.

I had forgotten to extend the solar panels.

Took me a good half-hour to get out there, too.

I was sending a probe to the mun so as to "safely" test out my new Artemis class lifter. Managed to get my probe out to 7,000 km orbit and was just preparing my maneuver node to hit the mun. Everything was going swimmingly until I hit burn - and found that my batteries had drained flat.

I had forgotten to extend the solar panels.

Took me a good half-hour to get out there, too.

Well.... are you good at rendezvous?

Well.... are you good at rendezvous?

Sadly, my little probe-ship had no docking ports on it. Also, no. I am terrible at rendezvous. The last time I tried... we, uh, we don't talk about the last time.

EDIT: Well, I since arrived at the moon... but thanks to underestimating my speed, I arrived a little faster than I was intending. Unfortunately my quicksave was just a little too late to prevent this.

In other news: I suck at designing spaceplanes. Jeb hates me now.

Edited by Niccolo

No pictures, sorry.

I spent 2 hours trying to get a set of solar arrays up to my new space station. I decided that I wanted to haul them up separately so as to reduce drag.

After trying to latch on with the magnetic clamp on my KAS outfitted RCS tug for the aforementioned 2 hours, I redocked the tug and deorbited the arrays. I not only have to redesign the arrays with a Jr. docking clamp on the end and a way to remove that clamp after attachment, but I also have to redesign the RCS tug, because I think I installed the KAS clamp wrong. Either way, it'd be a good idea.

I'll tackle that tomorrow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.