You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I was flying my first successful SSTO around KSC to take some pictures of it. I got the great idea to buzz the tower, and approached in cinematic view (no UI)

yHrgPfU.jpg

All was fine, but I guess I accidentally throttled all the way down and didn't realize until it was too late. Here's the aftermath:

mKHzSET.jpg

(And the craft thread can be found via the company in my sig, or here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63639-Defiance-Crew-Shuttle-SSTO)

If it makes you feel better, here is my current Duna lander after a hillside issue:

i1wfN19.jpg

Hadbald doesn't seem to mind. Maybe he didn't read the reports of the last rescue mission (which burnt up in Kerbin atmosphere, including the rescued).

The problem is that when you break, the front of the vehicle tips forward beyond the COM, causing it to overbalance. What you need is something heavy in the back, like one of the smaller Rockomax tanks, to act as a ballast.

What you need to do is edit the action groups so that only the rear brakes work. (assuming you don't travel quickly in reverse) This will stop your cars from pivoting on the front wheels.

This is in fact the best cargo plane to date, but I think I overloaded it.

Also the load clipped through th floor boards.

vRGmrmz.png

I got bored because the plane only goes 150 or so and did a second not technicaly a barrel roll but the star fox barrel roll.

EDIT: I pulled the chutes because it was too low and the payload was connected with kas pipes so its chutes went too.

vKX2wvh.png

The crash crashed so hard it crashed my game.

This pic is real time, frozen game time from the lag I mean.

G0wRJjX.png

No pictures, but the fun fact for today is: you know you screwed mission planning up badly when your intended lander barely becomes an orbiter and the intended orbiter goes screaming off into interplanetary space.

Transfers without aerobraking possibilities suck. I'll get my revenge yet, Dres!

Note to self: 3x symmetry for landers - with stretched "arms" to the side to make them flip-safe - with slightly unbalanced center of mass and some weird fuel flow that somehow made the fuel drainage even more asymmetrical is mostly uncontrollable.

obsereve the gilly encounter

The wobbles probably correspond to Gilly orbiting around Eve. Maybe he altered the conics mode?

First Kerbin landing of the year!

*Dramatic*

OEeD45v.png

....was non fatal.

jr3nwsO.png

89fol6u.png

Hey, we keep the science in there! Not all lost.

DtrjV1Q.png

1dwyEUC.png

WROt5dE.png

Duney thinks no less of himself, though he ruined my expensive shuttle. The rest of the fleet will be grounded until TT's multiwheels are working again.

I made a large flurry of manned launches to gather insane amounts of science. First to arrive at its target: Duna Mission 1. I did an aerocapture, followed by an aerobrake manuever, resulting in a nice 250km orbit around Duna. I then transited to Ike, and tried to land.

The craft tipped over.

Scrambling, I loaded the quicksave... only to discover that it was from before the first mission left.

In short, I wasted 4 hours (real time) of work. And I still can't figure out how to land a 15m tall rocket on the Nova Punch 2.5m NERVA. While on Ike.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.