You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Well, i have another debacle... It's my second SSTO, or SSTOs in general:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The first plane is a total failure. When it's not underpowered, it breaks in flight.

That craft you see in flight is only a partial failure. It actually behaves pretty well (although it needs some extra lift) but has so incredibly hungry engines that it's unable to reach orbit. I use it to reach insane speeds and then glide, or send it to space on top of a rocket.

Captured a Duna flyby mission last night, spent about 2 hours today alternating between trying to get a capsule up to retrieve the crew and wondering what the heck kind of inclination change required 4+km/s of dV. Then I realized I had brought the ship into a retrograde orbit when I reentered Kerbin's SOI. *facepalm*

[TABLE=width: 800]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Something changed between 0.22 and 0.23, and now one of my best crew shuttles can no longer fly the crazy profile that had worked well before.

At the start, AACT-105A's flight seemed completely fine and steady as always. For this run, she would barely kiss the edge of space, then come back down to land at the KSC.

screenshot489.png

Except the "come down" part is where she suddenly has trouble. While decelerating, Very Bad Things happen, resulting in a catastrophic light show for the observers.

As she re-enters, the air brakes are deployed. Previously this hadn't caused any trouble, but now, it starts with something jetting away from the ship, flaring and spitting away toward the ground. At first, it was feared it was one of the crew being jettisoned from his seat in the cabin, but it turns out that one of the wingtip solar arrays is being torn away (they are of course not deployed during this phase of the flight).

screenshot495-edit.png

At re-entry speeds (somewhere around 1.6km/s), the slight imbalance of losing one little teensy part is enough to put the whole ship into a dangerous wobble, and the hull begins to come apart. Sadly, the design of the hull is such that it tends to come apart at the front of the passenger cabin, and from that point, the passengers' lives are now measured in terms of seconds. The two sitting immediately in front of the foreward cabin bulkhead were the first to go.

screenshot490.png

The rest were lost very soon afterward, as the detached nose section spun around and collided with the passenger cabin.

screenshot491.png

A lot of folks didn't go to space today. :([/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Today I hit Minmus intercept with a periapsis of 100k and an inclination of 23 degrees (I use KER). I was in map view, and got rid of the inclination. I checked my time to periapsis, sped up time until I was two minutes out, and came out of map view just in time to realize I had not paid attention to what the inclination change had done to my periapsis. It was now -48k, and I did't even have time to point retrograde before impact. :(

Today my whole problem was getting OUT of space. I have Deadly Reentry cranked up to where it's actually, well, deadly, to return to Kerbin without a heat shield, which made landing on Eve pretty much impossible even with THREE layers of stock DRE heat shields... Kaboom with over 2.8kms left to loose:(. Took me a few hours of back & forth tweaking the part.cfg & trying to comprehend the module numbers and get it to work... Until I finally got frustrated and resorted to overkill:mad:. Now I have a heat shield that could pass THROUGH Jool at a significant fraction of c unscathed and a friggin probe on Eve dammit!

now I'm taking my ball & going home!

IPxuOjm.png

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

No pics, but I sure got me a few interesting recent ones.

First off; Sent a teeny probe to Eve. The idea was I'd fire this damn thing via decoupler like a bullet into Eve's atmosphere, and use the onboard parachute to bring it and the full science suite down safely. I only had about 200 charge on it, but I was certain I'd be fine since I had all those solar panels. ... Guess what I forgot to put on? Yeah, the panels were attached to the stage below the bullet. I didn't even get a single transmission out.

Second: Sent a manned Apollo Style lander to the mun! All was going great, when on descent I found out I'd mis-estimated fuel requirements. About 50m above the surface I ran completely out and dropped like a rock. It might've stuck the landing, had it not landed near the large trench. It hit hard enough to roll into the side of the trench and then aaaaaaaallll the way down to the center of said trench; stranding poor Jeb (yes, I keep him alive.) in a place where he had to jetpack- then walk- several kilometers before I had any chance of landing a retrieval craft.

I tried to install a certain mod. It din't werk. What it DID do, was duplicate a landed flight nearly 40 times. SO, I figured, what the hell, and tried to load it. Computer hung for about 10 minutes trying to. Then it started exploding. And exploding. And exploding. And went on exploding, one frame every few seconds, for another 10 minutes. When the framerate returned to something resembling motion, I had my most impressive debris field EVER, and now the secondary explosions from falling bits went on for another few minutes. According to the tracking station, it made over 2600 pieces of debris. :cool::kiss:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/VjayF/embed"></iframe>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.