You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

So I had a failure on landing at Duna. I'm sure I'm not the first one who didn't quite realize the difficulty of landing on the high elevation spots, but it killed the crew. What was a bit more poignant was that I now have pilot an empty reusable booster back to Kerbin, the while the music the game plays is actually just a bit somber.

RIP Ed and Wibble Kerman.

That must've gone on purpose. Rapid unplanned dissassembly can't be that pretty.

No, it was fully unintentional. The rocket was built just fine, but I forgot to sort the stages into the right places, so I ended up shedding three layers of active boosters at the same time.

I got a satellite into orbit. While waiting to reach the orbital maneuver to even the orbit I decided to go take a break. I came back and realized the engine was on at about 10% the whole time and I'm now falling back into the atmosphere. It couldn't be saved and crashed into the surface.

last week I attempted to send a full train to the other side of kerbin.. without spending real life days driving at 26m/s burning 6 car loads of fuel..

She tried.... a brave KSP-44-II Class with her crew attempted to reach orbit.. an odd place for a train.. but not so odd when that train is made of space worthy parts :/

YY8yeaY.jpg?1

Alas, She did not goto space that day... instead decided to continue on like a landliner should... on the ground.. with several stops when the light fades a little too much to see safely on rough terrain.

kfhdCPB.jpg?1

Had some problems trying to get an asteroid to KSC. First off, Grabber Kraken ate my redirect vehicle several times, forcing quite a bit of quick-saving to defeat it. Then, when I was going to land, 2 out of 4 of the redirect vehicle's parachutes were randomly destroyed, causing an unstable landing that trashed the redirect vehicle (luckily the impact was slowed enough by the working chutes to save the crew):

?id=407884787

Then, attempts to move the asteroid closer to KSC were met with failure, namely the asteroid transport vehicle trying to hump the asteroid:

?id=407884882

My recent failure: I had launched an Apollo-style moon mission in my new modded game (lots of mods, including TAC LS and DRE). Launch went fine (ignoring my usual strategy of "revert until it gets into orbit"), transfer burn, landing, ascent, and rondevzous all went fine as well. However, I decided to go for an aerobraking trajectory instead of a direct landing on the command stage. Problem was, the resulting trajectory was a long 5 hour orbit back for a landing, and I left the electricity behind in the now-detached service module! Took a bit of jetpack pushing to get an orbit the crew would be able to live to the end of.

• 2 weeks later...

I officially quit.

I was trying to get to Minmus. After some early concerns about fuel, everything seemed good. Encounter set up. Great. Wonderful. Peachy. Being the natural "look ma, no hands!" guy, I SHIFT-TAB to open up the steam overlay to tell another KSP playing friend. I smile after reading "Ooooh."

SHIFT

It applies the thrust. I try to get this glorious encounter back, but to no avail. Well bacon. Looks like I've lost my encounter... Ah well, I'll warp to Apoapsis, maybe something good will happen. Nothing at all.

Oh well, looks like we will have to go home. :( So sad.

So I head back to Kerbin, I land my capsule. "Hmm, it's rather dark here, lemme roll down this hill for sunlight. 8 m/s in a MK2 Capsule.

It went well, until it exploded.

last week I attempted to send a full train to the other side of kerbin.. without spending real life days driving at 26m/s burning 6 car loads of fuel..

She tried.... a brave KSP-44-II Class with her crew attempted to reach orbit.. an odd place for a train.. but not so odd when that train is made of space worthy parts :/

http://i.imgur.com/YY8yeaY.jpg?1

Alas, She did not goto space that day... instead decided to continue on like a landliner should... on the ground.. with several stops when the light fades a little too much to see safely on rough terrain.

http://i.imgur.com/kfhdCPB.jpg?1

Send it up in parts and dock it... wait why am I suggesting that, it's not like it can drive up there!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.