You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Was trying to hoist some no name Kerbal to his command module with the KAS winch.

He got stuck, so I let a little line out and pulled again. All of a sudden my entire craft shook and my Kerbal was no where to be found. He wasn't in the missing tab so I'm not entirely sure where he went. Maybe this Kerbal is a magician in his spare time. XD

On my mun return I had my periaps at 72km and i ran out of fuel(Well actually I had before that was why i couldn't get out and push because the EVA pack ran out of fuel) Jeb is lost in interplanetary space...DANG MUN ASSIST!!!!!@#$%^&*(Even has a parachute via KAS...) TL;DR jeb missed reentry with a parechute by 5metres per second of DeltaV

Launched an unmanned Mun base yesterday using a modified orbital station as a core. Removed batteries and placed extra fuel tanks and landing gear on it....then forgot to put batteries back on... and launched at night. And that's when you realise the KR-1x2 doesn't have any electrical generation as it becomes a sub-orbital lawndart.

Spent an hour and a half launching a rover to Laythe. On descent, after the parachutes opened, I noticed something strange about it:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxtdXNocm9vbTIwMDZzb3RoZXJ0aGluZ3MxfGd4OjczZmQ1ODYyNGExNWQ2MmU

Look at the wheels. The little ones that don't touch the ground, and that only exist on one side. Laughed for like five minutes when I noticed it.

EDIT: Just looked at my Duna rover and found out I had done the same thing and didn't notice. I think every rover of that make and model in the Kerbol system has two extra midget wheels now.

Edited by Findthepin1

I once build a plane to get the K prize, at 20k altitude the engines malfuntioned and it span crazily into the sea. There is still wreckage there. The engines and flaps and such. The core blew up. All else was Ok. (Except not connected to anything)

I also tried to lkaunch an anti-alien satellite into Kerbin orbit, It was a BD armoury laser on an "X" of structural beams covered in gigantor solar panels! My rocket had sturuts, but at high altitude, the beams began wobbling then snapping. That made the rocket spin until all that was left was debris and a probecore attached to a laser, falling out of the sky. They hit the sea and boom! I fear a fisherman may discover these and tell his family "I didn't catch any fish, but we can have roast rocket."

Today I sent a rocket to minmus, but I switched to decoupling SRBs to get a look. The rocket went too far away, in map mode you "you cannot switch to a craft in atmosphere" so i quickloaded to just after launch and got bored of waiting so I 4x time warped. The SRBs detached and the top fell off. Oops. My lander luckily had a TWR, so Jeb soft-landed it near the launch pad. But, (I also spelled but wrong twice) SAS was in retrograde mode. I accelerated too hard, and flipitty-flip! Nothing was damaged but my lander was on it's side.

This one was luckily not mission-compromising: I was launching base modules to minmus when one of them lost communication (I was using RT2) just before it was going to land. However, the module started flipping over, and ended up landing on the skycrane, smashing the skycrane to bits but leaving the essential mission payload intact but flipped. Even more impressive, it only took 2 toggles of landing gear to right the downed base module, with no SAS present (all the SAS was in the skycrane).

Edited by Crusher48

One time, I was building a space station, and I wanted to attach a half-full orange tank. So I hitched one up to a Montauk, got into orbit not without some difficulty, and began the long and tedious process of rendezvous. My plan was to deploy the orange tank as soon as I got to the station, then dock it with a smaller Kerbal X module fitted with RCS. Everything was going fine, until I crashed into the orange tank and set it spinning. In the end, I was trying to dock with a rotating fuel tank in a ship running on RCS vapors, the station receding, all in the dark.

I gave up at that point.

duna stuff

landed a bunch of stuff consecutively in one descent

lander 1 touches down

rover 1 touches down

cannot dock with lander 1, rover 1 lacks docking port

rover 1 attempts to get lander 1 out of the way of everything else by ramming it

lander 2 touches down on rover 1

10 minutes later "I finally got the lander off my back! Now to ram it 5 kilometres, go back, get the other one, and ram it another 5 kilometres. Wait, why didn't I just keep the thing on the rover's back?"

*ragequit*

EDIT: i landed a base in "the same location" just now. 17.5 km away on a steep slope, with a habitat without power sources and tons of pointless parts that cannot be used without electricity. i barely had enough to roll the hab onto a much better 10 degree slope. it started on a 20 degree slope.

Edited by Findthepin1
lol

Attempted a launch of FASA Nova rocket premade. Physics load- launchpad goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate destructive wibble-wobble (technical term)

That's what building tall thin rockets rather than pancakes gets ya.

Got the same thing-just added more struts! Worked out fine

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.