You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

I sent a Kerbal on a quick level - up mission to get two stars and fulfill a contract to plant flags in the Mün and Minmus.   I have a nice,  cheap ship that can do that flight easily. (and has a probe core,  so it can be flown by non - pilots) 

Mün landing : mis-click,  miss the suicide burn,  impact the Mün at 40 m/s.  The ship is destroyed,  but the pod survives. 

Send up an unmanned duplicate ship to rescue,  land successfully within 2km of crash site.  Mission proceeds to Minmus. 

Minmus landing : mis-click,  miss the suicide burn,  impact Minmus at 35 m/s. Ship is destroyed,  pod survives. 

Launch new ship to rescue from Minmus. 

Edited by Daripuff

This one is more of a "You will not STAY in space today".  No screenshots, I'm afraid, but here's the tale.

I had recently discovered OPM and, after looking at several planets in the tracking center, decided I wanted to go and visit one sooner rather than later.  So, I fired up a sandbox game, built myself a warp capable probe through a combination of NFT and RoverDude's warp drive mod, and started a jump out to Plock.

It was beautiful!  I warped one way, turned around, warped another, and tried to get as many angles on it as I could.  It was a wonderful little trip!

Then, I made a terrible error...  I got too close, and the warp drive shut down.  My probe was suddenly stuck on its original trajectory... which in this case was STRAIGHT INTO PLOCK.  And my cool little Hall-effect argon engine didn't have nearly enough grunt to save me.

All I could do was tell my faithful little probe, "I'm sorry!!" as it crashed into the ground at a WHOLE LOT of m/s...

I can only blame myself and my poor astrogation...  Though one of these days, I'll return!  (For now, running a smaller game with more visual mods, encouraging myself to actually GO to the rest of the stock planets.  :) )

Aerobraked on duna for 15 minutes. Only had regular parachutes. Went to fast on final descent. Used science for better parachutes. :) This was a faceplant moment because I have landed on eve 50m/s. Duna's g is 1/3 of Kerbin, so it would bounce... Right?

On 8/1/2016 at 11:40 PM, W. Kerman said:

Aerobraked on duna for 15 minutes. Only had regular parachutes. Went to fast on final descent. Used science for better parachutes. :) This was a faceplant moment because I have landed on eve 50m/s. Duna's g is 1/3 of Kerbin, so it would bounce... Right?

Forget falling for a moment, take gravity out of the equation.  Imagine a piano rolling along the floor to squish you against a wall.  500 kilos at 50m/s hits just as hard on Minmus as Eve.

Eve will certainly help that piano get up to 50m/s faster though, at least in the downwards direction.

My first attempt at a ship to get me to duna.  I single launched it completely without cheats, but once I got to orbit, I realized that my reactor could not even power one of the four engines, so I could not use the ship on anything past about 1/6th throttle.  Needless to say, I was not happy.  I ended up just leaving it in orbit, and launching a new ship.

8GeqcfD.png

Also, I was launching a mothership for something or other, and I experienced a major structural failure.

oALpzuL.png

This happened after several dramatic explosions on the launch pad.

Spending some time waiting for next window to Duna I decided to run yet another tourist run to Mun and Minmus, picking up some new victims/recruits on the way.

Routine, except that I realised that I'd used my Minmus Lander Mk2 to bring the last batch back from Minmus Station, so it wasn't at Minmus, it was docked at Kerbin Station.

So shuffle tourist and ships around or just whack up a new Minmus lander, stash the tourists, and ship them off?

My program is pretty rich, it's high status, we're not doing the tourist thing (really) to make money, we're just waiting for the next Duna window, fer sure

Design and launch, docking with Minmus Station while still carrying some fuel in the transfer stage which is nice since it's used to refuel the station.

So undock, drop down, land, take selfies, back up again, intercept the station.

Hmm, Houston, we have a problem, there's only 4 uni-directional thruster ports on this craft, no quad-ports.

Last time we docked at the station we had the transfer stage attached, and it had the quad-ports ...

The good news is that we do have plenty of fuel, mono and ec, but our rcs/mono is restricted to those four ports above the robo core.

We can move forward by pulsing the main engine, but braking is flipping the craft over and thrusting retro, with our only docking node facing the other way.

It was quite a delicate dance to dock the lander with the two tourists to the station, I then made sure that I deleted "Minmus Lander Mk3" from the disk and added "Minmus Lander Mk4".

DNkSJPZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thats my first post in this forum (Hi everyone!), so what else than to show some really bad disaster screenshots? Here we go:

I buildt a big interplanetary ship, reliable for every target (so I think). The problem was - after I identified it after really a HUGE number of test flights - that the nuke engines were to close to the main shaft of the craft, so they produced no (= 0) thrust at all. I never made it into a stable orbit with this thing (which rewarded me with some really impressive RUDs during re-entry):

Still everything ok...

NMAcoJ0.jpg

WT...??? Bring me my brown pants! ASAP!

dxx3OoF.jpg

Everybody ok?

beYskgV.jpg

At least no debris hit the capsule...

yDssCxh.jpg

And the second try:

Hmm, looks like the booster may make it:

LcmSPce.jpg

Erm... nope...

VjfEVuX.png

No, definitively not.

bSVCGBP.jpg

That was NOT supposed to happen!

hvd49at.jpg

Waaaah, get that capsule out there!

psZ8ToR.jpg

Made it again!

Niqa06a.jpg

What nice (and expensive) fireworks!

wpYTsx0.png

The third launch the craft was heavily modified. Let's see if this thing is reliable now.

Edited by Malachi80
Screenshots had dead links.

3 hours ago, Malachi80 said:

I buildt a big interplanetary ship, reliable for every target (so I think). The problem was - after I identified it after really a HUGE number of test flights - that the nuke engines were to close to the main shaft of the craft, so they produced no (= 0) thrust at all. I never made it into a stable orbit with this thing (which rewarded me with some really impressive RUDs during re-entry)

You've got a good attitude towards fun.  Most would've hit 'revert' at that point, not ridden that bomb into the ground.  Trial and error with nuclear rockets, heh :)

46 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

You've got a good attitude towards fun.  Most would've hit 'revert' at that point, not ridden that bomb into the ground.  Trial and error with nuclear rockets, heh :)

During this game session I only revert in case of critical bugs or glitches. Even if little green guys get killed. During one of the above-mentioned test flights of this monster Valentina died: She was in the hitchhiker container directly under the capsule and the chute was destroyed during re-entry after failing orbit. I was able to safe the crew by burning the launch escape system (~320m/s) shortly before impact. I might have been a little too late, because only the capsule survived. Poor Valentina.

However, the screenshots from above would have never happened after a revert. For me it is fun trying to save the crew from such misery. :)

After landing and returning several manned missions on the Mun and Minmus succesfully, sending several probes to the inner and a couple of outer planets, building a LKO refuel station and started building a space station for science I decided it was time for a manned mission to Mars....ehm Duna. Having landed a probe there before I was pretty confident about how to set up a proper lander. But sending kerbonauts, now that was a challenge!

First of all I didn't want to send out just a single Kerbal. Imagine being on a multiple year mission on your own...no. A three man (actually a two man one woman) mission would suit. And I would need the premium orange suited Kerbals. They were there from the beginning, so I thought they would have the most experience. Point was, they were scattered around. Bob and Valentina were flying on the still incomplete science space station, I think Bill was somewhere on route to or from Minmus. I wanted to build a 2 stage craft. A transfer stage to get them to an from Duna and a lander. A bit Appollo like. But more badass :-). I still needed a couple of tech nodes unlocked....in short: a lot of work to do!

So I started collecting some more science points, designing crafts, testing them, redesigning, testing again..etc.
After a week or so (yes I'm human too, with a job and other things to do) the glorious moment came. Bob, Bill and Valentina were together in the transfer stage, docked to the LKO refuel station, the lander was there too. The transfer window to Duna opened. The fully refueled tranferstage undocked from the refuelstation, docked to the lander stage and we were ready to go! Set up a manoeuvre node for a Hohman transfer and burn away baby!

After a slight correction burn somewhere halfway they caught an intercept trajectory with Duna SOI. This went great! Enough fuel? Well probably (I'm not really a math kind of guy)...and if not, I could allways send a refuel tank there. So everything was covered....or was it?

While they were happily coasting towards Duna I kept on building the science station and had probes arriving to Moho and Jool (KAC is great!)

The moment came. Duna SOI intercept! Yes, they made it... I set up a manoeuvre node to get them into Duna orbit... and discovered I was short of 4dV to actually get into the widest orbit possible!! No way!

At the moment they are coasting back to Kerbin orbit, arriving there in "just" 3 years. :P I didn't spent any dV at Duna, hoping there is enough left to circularise when they arrive at Kerbins orbit so I can send a rescue mission...

On 27.07.2016 at 7:06 PM, Corona688 said:

My first successful docking manuever, way back when:

station ship ship ship probe probe

:D:D:D

On 31.07.2016 at 2:17 PM, RobFalcon said:

All I could do was tell my faithful little probe, "I'm sorry!!" as it crashed into the ground at a WHOLE LOT of m/s...

I can only blame myself and my poor astrogation...  Though one of these days, I'll return!  (For now, running a smaller game with more visual mods, encouraging myself to actually GO to the rest of the stock planets.  :) )

Do not fret. Just redefine the mission goals. That was an impactor probe.

• 3 weeks later...

Outtake:

"We need to lose weight", said Valentina. "We're not coming back to the surface again, or flying home in this thing. We just need to reach the orbit."

And so, Bob collected all the science that could be collected, stuffed it in the cockpit, and Bill went Mark Watney on the hull.

Bang, came down the airbrakes. A few violent kicks sent the expensive scientific instruments flying. Thirteen parachutes littered the ground. Bang, came down the fuselage with main engine and tail fins.

CUT!!!

Careful there with that screwdriver, Bill. Again. We need that engine!

1 hour ago, Chiron0224 said:

What on Kerbin is in that fairing?

Spoiler

u6hSy7I.pngvMKgntF.png

It only cost over 2.2 megafunds to put on the pad. I did eventually complete the mission. The reason it fell apart on the pad is because I took it apart and put it back together so many times that some struts got lost/de-symmetry'd/messed up. As it happened I forgot the lab, so I ended up with a 2-part fairing when I finally got the mission successfully launched.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.