[0.20] AmpYear Power Manager + Ion RCS v0.11

SodiumEyes

X8VKuvS.jpg

The AmpYear Power Manager is a part that makes electricity more important and useful. Electricity is now required for some existing ship functions, and can be used in some new ways.

PowerTurn

Allows you to harness SAS modules for turning power

Flight Computer

The power manager includes a flight computer for attitude control. (The same flight computer as the RemoteTech mod)

Reserve Power

Attach special batteries to your ship to save power for emergencies. Ideal for keeping your probes from dying.

Auto-Hibernate

All AmpYear functions will automatically shut down during timewarp to save power.

Ion RCS

Thrusters that use Xenon-gas and electricity for incredibly efficient RCS. Some limitations:

• Has half the Isp of normal Ion engines
  • One quarter of the thrust of normal monopropellant RCS thrusters
  • Only linear thrusters are available
  • Requires a power manager to function

Existing Functionality

SAS, ASAS, RCS and turning now require electricity. When electricity is depleted, SAS and RCS are disabled and turning power is reduced by 90%.

Download: Spaceport

GitHub Repo

License: GPL

Edited by SodiumEyes

Also a bug report: whenever I add your module to an existing part (I combine all my part-based plugins into a single part for simplicity sake), the rescaling of it reverts to 1.

This plugin would be fantastic if there were built-in support (or an easy way to add support) for other mods. For example, built in integration with RemoteTech, so I don't have two flight computers up. And while we've been barking up the MechJeb tree for a while WRT RemoteTech, having that tracked on the power panel as well would be just fantastic. Integration with the Ioncross crew support plugin as well.

Edited by Frostiken

What is the luxury stuff for?

It's just there to simulate the power drain of a crew actually living on your capsule, instead of (apparently) just sitting in the dark doing nothing, using no resources or anything.

Hey just wanted to say how much I am liking this mod. The dark side of the moon is now very scary.

Had to do some major redesigns of my ship, and loving it!

Do you have any plans to extend the mod further??

I would love to see more of the stock parts have electric drain applied: antenna?, science equip?

Do you think you would be capable of applying a change to engine/thrusters?

I think it is really unrealistic how thrusters give full electric gain at any throttle, it would be cool if there was a breakeven point. Lets say 1/2 throttle, below and you would be using power, above gaining.

Anyway nice mod, I will be keeping my eye on this one.

I have a few question about this mod. As I understand it from your description, you have to add a part in order to make this mod work. Is there a way to make this mod work without adding a part ? Will it work for my already launched vessels ? Are the value of the electric charge needed fixed or does it evolved depending on the size of your ship or the size of the crew for example ?

I have a few question about this mod. As I understand it from your description, you have to add a part in order to make this mod work. Is there a way to make this mod work without adding a part ? Will it work for my already launched vessels ? Are the value of the electric charge needed fixed or does it evolved depending on the size of your ship or the size of the crew for example ?

AmpYear needs a part and won't work without one. Power consumption is scaled depending on your ship's attributes

Does flight computer have coulorblind-friendly option like original in RemoteTech? It's hard for me to tell if letters are green or yellow to distinguish computer modes...

And some proposition: maybe in future it can be in part module only, no part type, so it would be easy to add AmpYear functionality to any probe, pod and cocpit?

RemoteTech's flight computer lets you control roll in surface mode. That seems to be missing in AmpYear.

If its too much to get the full control in, it could at least try to roll to 0 instead of some arbitrary angle that makes it near worthless for planes.

Edited by rhoark

Could you please provide a documented interface to work with implementing AmpYear support in parts? This would make it easier to add custom power draw sources to parts for use with AmpYear (I.E. a communications dish).

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really like this idea of this addon. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make heads or tail of it. It includes a part (AmpYearPart) which is just a subclass of AdvSASModule, and it doesn't actually seem to do anything. The PartModule, AmpYearModule, seems to contain the guts of the thing, but when I put it on a probe core it not only failed to work itself, but somehow took out RemoteTech at the same time, and filled my log with these errors:

LOG 05:22:21.024] dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: 3.14159265358979, M: -8.40714670366795, T: NaN
[LOG 05:22:21.024] dT is NaN! tA: NaN, E: 3.14159265358979, M: -8.40714670366795, T: NaN
[LOG 05:22:21.024] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: NaN
[LOG 05:22:21.024] problem!

But I can't figure out where those errors are coming from, because none of that stuff is even in the AmpYear source code.

While the idea of this addon is super-rad, I despise the idea of having to bolt on a dedicated part just for it … and I don't use ASAS on my ships, so having that part subclass AdvSASModule makes things even less appealing. If it were just a PartModule I could put on any part, that would be different, but as it is, I can't see the virtue in making this addon work for me.

Really fantastic idea, though. I just wish the implementation were different, is all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I signed up on GitHub and submitted an issue report for the ASAS/SAS/Reaction Wheel issue between AmpYear and the .21 game version.

Unfortunately, I'm a support guy, not a dev. Hope to hear back from The author, meanwhile I plan to teach myself enough to hopefully fix this issue eventually if the author isn't available to do so.

Anyone that can give me some help would be greatly appreciated. There are a lot of us that play together (separately) using KLF (Kerbal Live Feed) that also love AmpYear.

Edited by rottielover

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If have attempted to contact SodiumEyes for permission to update this. Possibly as an add-on to Near Future Propulsion I am not sure how much functionality I would want to recreate but the idea of ion RCS is too good to pass up. I am not ready to create a thread for this as I only just tried to get in touch but any suggestions are more than welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.