[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

don't think there is, MechJeb will keep it from over heating, but he really rides the line, if your using this mod I wouldn't let MJ work the gas pedal

well, somewhere in jeb's positronic brain, there is a line that says: "if overheat bar > 95%, reduce throttle" or something like it. Someone must know where it is and how to change it to 50%

I think the devs want a good system for planning the re-entry´s before adding heat effects. and they probably want to remake the whole heat system also.

well, somewhere in jeb's positronic brain, there is a line that says: "if overheat bar > 95%, reduce throttle" or something like it. Someone must know where it is and how to change it to 50%

I still maintain that engine overheating (relevant primarily during launch/ascent) is an issue seperate from reentry, so this 'hard mode engine overheating' should not be a feature of a reentry heat mod.

I still maintain that engine overheating (relevant primarily during launch/ascent) is an issue seperate from reentry, so this 'hard mode engine overheating' should not be a feature of a reentry heat mod.

Open the engine's cfg and remove the overheating "feature". It's not realistic imho. Rockets are not car engines. Just like turbofans: if it doesn't explode in the first 5 seconds, it will probably run for hours without issue.

if it doesn't explode in the first 5 seconds, it will probably run for hours without issue.

There are certainly some rocket engines that can do this, but its far from true of engines in general, especially first stage engines.

Open the engine's cfg and remove the overheating "feature".

I did as much, toned it down a bit.

There are certainly some rocket engines that can do this, but its far from true of engines in general, especially first stage engines.

First stage engines will probably run for the few minutes that they are needed, if they don't explode in the first 5 seconds.

Either way, it has little to do with reentry.

Aside from that i do really like the mod (with a few increased global heat parameters). I love it how bits come off (sparks, smoke, and eventually parts) when a craft sustains damage during reentry.

I also like that there will apparently be a version that works well with FAR.

I wonder though whether a heat shield should become more susceptible to damage as more of it has ablated, as it currently seems to do with DR:

i see a very rapid decrease of the 'ablation resource' near the end of reentry when most of the shield is gone but temp has dropped to a moderate ~500C or so, and there is very little or no plasma trail.

In reality structural parts of a vessel do become more susceptible to damage as more damage has been sustained (i like that part of the mod to), but i think heat shields are different. For all i know the ablating layer takes away most of the heat and the rest of the shield is a thermal buffer between the plasma and the rest of the craft. It does heat up during ablation, but only the top layer becomes hot enough to 'burn' and the material is chosen to withstand high temperatures and typically has a high thermal resistance/good thermal insulation (cork was used at some point). So i don't see why the remainder of a shield would weaken so much after being exposed to heat, to the point where it starts to ablate much faster when it has already cooled down significantly. The main factor there seems to be how much (how little) of it is left.

As for the skylon proposal - i believe it has huge surface area compared to its mass and kind of 'cheats' the reentry corridor to be much wider.

Yes, if you want to call it cheating, though it perfectly illustrates what I'm talking about:

"a vehicle that is both large and light has an advantage during atmospheric reentry compared to other vehicles due to a low ballistic coefficient.[41] Because of the low ballistic coefficient, Skylon would be slowed at higher altitudes where the air is thinner. As a result, the skin of the vehicle would only reach 1,100 Kelvin (K).[42] In contrast, the smaller Space Shuttle was heated to 2,000 K on its leading edge, and so employed an extremely heat-resistant but fragile silica thermal protection system. The Skylon design does not require such a system, instead opting for using a far thinner yet durable reinforced ceramic skin.[2] However, due to turbulent flow around the wings during re-entry, some parts of Skylon would need to be actively cooled.[39]"

In other words, higher altitude deceleration is prefered, though rather difficult to achieve.

I am actually looking to see if there is a way in FAR to add aerodynamic lift to a capsule without messing it up completely for takeoff. If possible that should make for some really cool reentry.

Maybe you could use the animation module on the FAR values? I remember that the inflatable heat shield did that to increase it's drag when inflated, though I'm not sure if they properly moved it's center of lift to keep it stable. As for how to set up some the heat shield in terms of lift? Make a "cone" of wing parts imbedded into the actual shield structure (maybe as sub-parts?), that sit at a small angle to the direction of motion. When the pod is angled, one side tilts to face the wind at a "flatter" angle, and the other side gets closer to 45 degrees to the wind, causing a lateral "push" away from that side of the pod. We could either use the pod's "magic" torque to push it temporarily into the proper angle, allowing it to right itself when we don't want any more lift effects, or we could use detachable counterweights set 180 degrees apart to stay true to life, dumping only one to throw off our center of gravity and "permanently tilting" the pod during reentry.

Update! I'm testing a new version that slightly lowers the G-force tolerance of all parts (by about 30%), and moves all the physics from OnUpdate() to FixedUpdate() to help lower framerate issues for those of us (like me) with older computers.

Release once I'm satisfied nothing got horribly broken.

One apparent bug (for me anyways): Deadly Reentry apparently causes an issue with the SABRE M engine of the B9 Aerospace pack (version R3). I documented it here, if anyone's interested.

Edit: apparently it's ModuleManager's fault, not specifically deadly reentry. Sorry for the mis-report.

Edited by rifter

The plugin isn't being loaded by KSP at all: It's loading the parts just fine, but I can fall at 3km/s through the atmosphere, sheathed in flame, without any heatshield to speak of!

It won't let me delete the dll during flight though, so it is being loaded by ksp, it's just not doing anything.

Edit: I found the problem, turns out ModuleManager is important. Oops.

Edited by Splode

The plugin isn't being loaded by KSP at all: It's loading the parts just fine, but I can fall at 3km/s through the atmosphere, sheathed in flame, without any heatshield to speak of!

It won't let me delete the dll during flight though, so it is being loaded by ksp, it's just not doing anything.

Do you get the temperature readout on the right click menu?

My first post on this board so hi everyone!

Excellent work on making this mod, but personally I concur about this feature. I can see why it's an interesting idea but it doesn't really have anything to do with reentry, and to be honest I don't think it adds much in the way of fun to the game. Perhaps it would be better as an option for the hardest of the hardcore unless it's necessary to make things go bang on reentry.

On a related note, I might just be having a dumb moment but exactly what do I change in the config files to get rid of the overheating feature?

Edited by Silanda

Incredible! I actually died when trying to take 60 G's straight down! Huzzah!

I'll so some more testing, but you hammered out that bug I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: One bug I found is that the 2.5m heat shield doesn't decouple properly (stays attached).