[Showcase] Post your Bases

That mobile mining rig is cool. I can imagine it being a PITA to corner with that massive fuel tank - is it?

Thanks.

No it corners quite well as the fuel tank is empty landed, so not much weight is involved.

I've never moved it full.... I'd be too scared!

What started as an attempt to replicate temstar-style bases for a Laythe mission has turned into a fairly long term project.

It is: Mun Base Alpha

EB635F67F827FDF48FCB04399CB53AE6ABD5E15B

The base following the attachment of the first tubes and power modules. The tubes, as it turned out, didn't have the clearance to get the assembly rovers underneath. Which proved a pain in the ass to overcome. However, I managed to use the ol' one two punch and dragged them into place with the power module. It was quite hectic.

Afterwards, I landed an initial habitat module, kermunnications tower, and a science lab. A fuel module and rover supply station are planned.

330D236DEF743574413512DC71B39DA65D121ACD

• 2 months later...
Safe to say you won the thread. That's unbelievable.

What does it look like when you launch from Kerbin?

Thank you! I have lots of other pictures on how I got it off Kerbin and will upload them tonight, (maybe the craft file too). I used my Peacemaker 1000 ton payload lifter to get this in orbit which is on this Exchange somewhere. It needed lots of struts to stop the flexing.

I am fairly new to KSP, but I built a run of the mill Mun Colony to build my basic skills and test some stuff out. Once comfortable, I decided, the main goal here is to be ridiculous, right? So I put a monster truck on the Mun. And just to make it more awesome, It's more than 3,000L of liquid rocket fuel and engine for Jeb to tame. Pics of my first spin with her. Boring drive away from the base to see how she did, rocket back to see what happens, much more exciting than the drive out. Not sure, but I think Jeb may have completed the first high speed monster truck parallel parking job on the Mun.

http://imgur.com/a/rh9FI

CK

The first module of my extended-stay Mun base has been deployed!

qGerHQM.jpg

I have recently learned that the grey pylon decoupler things that nobody ever uses actually decouple cleanly without leaving any marks (like struts or radial decouplers). I have now used this technique to strut everything, then drop them off when landed. Most of the small debris has been cleaned up. The skycrane used to drop this onto the surface is still visible, but not in this image. I'll have to eventually push some of the larger pieces away for further missions.

In any event:

This is a habitat / command base that can technically hold 35 Kerbals, but will only house 12 for extended living quarters. Each of the 3 booms will be home to 4 Kerbals with living space. The central stalk is a science / work / command module to organize the rest of the base. We have a docking port door at the base to enable the next modules to connect for permanent installation.

This is all stock except for the lights, which are from B9. I also have Infernal Robotics and Kerbal Attachement System installed, but will only need to use them on future parts to ensure good docking on the ground. Next up will be a rover with cleanup attachement. Pushing the little debris away was a pain in the butt, so I'm thinking I want a rover with some sort of scoop to pick up the pieces. We'll see....

Phase 2:

Here's the 2nd half of the Mun Base being delivered. Using RCS and plane landing gear to drive it across the surface. We landed about 1km away before our landing engines completely ran out. RCS driving the rest of the way across the surface wasn't too bad.

ktqP13i.jpg

Two halves getting real close. The docking ports on both are open and ready for mating. .... heh heh heh ... mating .... Quiet, Jeb.

Q1RYrRA.jpg

Infernal Robotics to align the docking ports. I haven't had much luck in the past docking things while on the surface, so this was a method to ensure we could align them perfectly, regardless of terrain. Made up of three parts, two hinges and an extending pole. The two hinges allowed me to raise or lower the port while keeping it parallel to the other one. The extension was just in case our struts and landing stages got in the way. They didn't, thankfully, but it still gave me the vertical range to get the ports alligned perfectly. Once it snapped to docking, it was a simple matter of retracting the arm and locking everything in place. I'm role-playing the arm built to the sides of the pathway, giving Kerbals a free range to walk throughout the structure.

O9CmEdZ.jpg

And finally, our fully assembled Mun base. This will hold a dozen scientists and researchers for an extended period of time. Currently only three are onboard to setup and construct. With plenty of space for living quarters and science modules, our Mun stationed Kerbals should be plenty comfortable.

JVYD1ay.jpg

:)

Phase 3 will be a Rover of some kind (still some debris to drag away) and a bigger power station. Our scientists have plenty of projects planned, but currently are using only minimal power to prevent full drain of the batteries at night. A big power station will solve that. I don't know if we can accomplish this in a single mission, or more likely, two missions (Phase 3 and Phase 4).

Phase 3, just a rover:

Here she is, landed on the Mun near our base. Jebediah was the first to test it out. It includes two storage boxes from KAS with parts for later use.

Xvj4pwi.jpg

Here is the crew USING the rover and those parts. First off, we take an attachment point from the onboard storage and connect it to the debris. Secondly, we use the winch on the back of the rover to grab that attachment point. Now, the rover is in full Tow Truck mode, and is able to drag the debris off into the distance, away from our living and science quarters. Once the crew determines the debris is safely away, they simply detach the winch, retrieve the attachment plug, and return everything to the rover. We created it with a bit of RCS to help keep it all stable.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Parking the rover for the night includes attaching fuel and resupply lines to the base. Again, Jebediah retrieves a pipe-end-point from the onboard storage. By connecting one to the base and the other to the rover, we can now create a safe connection for RCS fuel, electric cables, and a solid tether.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Job well done, boys.

4z3VgRc.jpg

Finally, our full base in all its glory. Phase 3 is complete.

szgo1f2.jpg

Phase 4 will be a resupply mission as well as a large power station. We will also be delivering our second crew to the surface. This next crew consists of mostly scientists to enhance the capability of our base. Currently, the three Kerbalnauts on the Mun are test pilots with military backgrounds: Jebediah, and the twins Tomlin and Munlin. Their job has been delivering the station, constructing the station, and ensuring a safe platform for long-term usage. With their successes piling up, it is time to make this station work.

no big deal, but I moved my base from 3km : The different elements were on the Mün for 3 kerbal years, and I brought ants-type rovers to move the modules, whose a nuclear electricity generator.

16113c51-9ffc-48ce-8d88-a2ed0d3a2d9d.jpg

7a18fcff-8370-4682-ac7f-1a482b393f76.jpg

I had been putting off posting this here, but I might as well do it now.

This is what the prototype/mockup/testing version of the base looks like. Its basically where I tested and perfected the various modules before I shipped them all out to Laythe. As you can see it consists of various habitation modules, a platform, a Lab, fuel tanks, a solar array, tunnel segments, an airplane and a nuclear lander thing for low-grav worlds (has not been used outside testing). Everything was assembled using those two small rovers.

OIS4HQL.png

WZPqkUr.png

q7tqixM.png

And here is what i currently have sitting on Laythe. One of the assembly rovers had a serious malfunction, so until I get around to shipping out a replacement I am only able to assemble it partially, as quite a few of the components require two rovers.

VHY3o7S.png

• 9 months later...

Nice bases all!

I posted this on the main forum before I realized there was a base showcase thread (that's what happens when you've been gone from the forums for a bit). Moving it here for obvious reasons. Thanks for the look!

As on overview, the base is built around a tower of mono-propellent containers. All support craft are powered by mono-propellent and therefore can be refueled from the base by docking at any one of the many docking ports located on the peripheral platforms.

3QIT7cC.png

NyFeIpN.png

My main goal when designing the base was to make it expandable. The larger docking ports are meant to hold new modules as they become available at a later date. As such, the whole concept is still a work in progress. The smaller ports are primarily meant to hold the landing/excursion craft for refueling and storage purposes.

As for the craft, here is my primary Minmus Lander design, tasked with long range Minmus exploration/crew transport.

HaIihtv.png

Here is the Minmus Skimmer, meant for short treks across the green landscape or for whenever the Kerbals are feeling a bit more "sporty."

F0334fP.png

The return module consists of four, self contained escape capsules. They each have just enough fuel to reach Kerbin, should anyone become prohibitively homesick. Additionally, in the background you can see a general purpose "crane" design that is meant be used for moving modules from one side of the base to another, should the need arise. Currently, it doesn't have much use, but it can least transport multiple Kerbins around at a time.

sk2BFlO.png

5sSTtN7.png

All new craft/modules that arrive will have their descent stages powered by mono-propllent so that any remaining propellent left over after docking will be used to replenish the main storage tanks at the base for future refueling.

As I said before, it's still a work in progress, but I've enjoyed the challenge of building a module centered base on Minmus. There are still plenty of craft/modules I would like to add at a later date when I get more time. In the interim, however, please let me know what you think and feel free to post any base designs that you might have!

Thanks for looking!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.