The coolest stunts we've pulled in KSP

3_bit

Basically a thread to talk about the coolest unnecessary risks you've taken in KSP.

Mine would be when I did an EVA mid-takeoff, using the pack to fly to a nearby command pod simply because I wanted a better view of KSC as I went into orbit. I went down to 10 m/s upward vertical speed but managed to get to TLI and do my Mun landing still. Of course, that was a prototype ship, the engines weren't aligned right, and I ended up crashing a second(!) Phoenix-class Deep Space Hot Rod (The reason for making it is obviously out of "necessity" to help Bill pick up potential Kirlfriends), only then did I realize how horrible misaligned they were, and scrapping that .craft and making a new one.

Mine was really funny...I was flying a prototype one-man Mun lander. About 200 meters for some reason I thought: "Damn! I'm gonna run out of fuel!" Well, I pressed the EVA button to save Jeb, he fell to the surface and popped. I turned the camera around and saw the lander itself hit the surface, bounce, and then land safely on all four legs. Talk about trying to make something better, and making it worse instead.

Had a lander on the Mun with not enough fuel to rendevouz with the CSM orbiting overhead, so I used what fuel I had left to burn halfway into a stable orbit. Then I eva'd my kerbal out, and RCS pack'd my way into orbit and to an encounter with the CSM. All kerbals home safely.

I got Bill Keenan stranded on Dres in a lander with only a tiny amount of fuel remaining. Jeb had just arrived in orbit to save him, so Bill took off in the lander, and when it ran out of fuel, he used his EVA pack to go the rest of the distance. I rendezvoused with Jeb with 20% of my EVA fuel remaining. Then, on the return to Kerbin, Jeb had to land using nuclear engines (I'd forgotten to add a parachute to his capsule), and ran out of fuel about a hundred metres up. He jumped out of the cockpit before it hit the ground, and survived despite being underneath a SAS unit.

I was coming in on the Mun back in .18 when I ran out of fuel. Ejected the Kerbal from the capsule, used the jetpack to slow myself down, and it WORKED. That would be my best stunt.

Well, when my last Mün lander ran out of fuel, I fired the capsuels decoupler, shortly before impact.

While the vessel was utterly destroyed, with near to no traces being found, Bill, Jeb and Bop survived in the Capsule, to be rescued another day.

I tryed that numeros times before, last time it worked :)

Definitely the time I came in low over the Mun for a landing traveling at 500 m/s, only to realize I as headed for a mountain. So I began to thrust straight up to avoid a collision, which was just enough to keep my command pod from colliding but the rest of my lander was disintegrated against the mountain. So now I had a lone command pod that had been saved once but the periapsis was still buried in the surface of the Mun. So I literally had to get out and push with a Kerbal until the periapsis was at a safe distance. I eventually sent a rescue team and got all 3 kerbals back home safe. :D

Today, Malrick Kerman broke all the regulations in the book by... well, the pictures should explain:

lbasy3fl.png

Broken regulation 1: Piloting a rocket from the outside. Not only should this break the laws of physics, but it's also extremely hazardous to the paintwork of the rocket.

8QM6KBRl.jpg

Broken regulation 2: Looking at Mun Arches with intent. Nobody knows what mysterious forces exist around the arches, but staring at these things is utterly prohibited so as to avoid angering them.

bNfI3UGl.png

Broken regulation 3: Crashing the expensive space ship...

FWNpwfml.png

...and surviving. Goes against everything ever. One does not simply survive a crash like this.

u7AplpSl.png

Broken regulation 4: FLYING THROUGH A MUN ARCH. Not only did we potentially anger the Mun Arch, but we did so whilst piloting the ship from the outside. We're still awaiting the universe-ending consequences.

AOZFGfKl.png

Broken regulation 5: Boasting about breaking rules. This is just malpractice and will not be tolerated. Therefore, Malrick will be forced to swim to the island airfield and back 50 times.

4E4jS6yl.png

Broken regulation 6: Necessitating a rescue mission. It's expensive and time consuming to send these things to recover crew!

79znyVxl.png

Broken reg... err, no. No broken regulations here actually...

oLBwJ6ml.jpg

Broken regulation 7: Re-entry with deployed parachutes. Simply unacceptable! The parachutes have been proven to be sentient beings due to their unpredictable behaviour and wild flapping, so to subject them to re-entry plasma is to invoke the wrath of wildlife conservationists everywhere!

So, to conclude, flying a spaceship from outside the pod through a Mun Arch is completely irresponsible, despite it being an awesome stunt!

I decided to try out a suicide burn for the first time in order to land on the mun. But I was descending too fast, and burned straight up. I successfully Lithobraked, and landed safely, only losing one leg. That is when I became a professional Lithobraker.

Definitely the time I came in low over the Mun for a landing traveling at 500 m/s, only to realize I as headed for a mountain. So I began to thrust straight up to avoid a collision, which was just enough to keep my command pod from colliding but the rest of my lander was disintegrated against the mountain. So now I had a lone command pod that had been saved once but the periapsis was still buried in the surface of the Mun. So I literally had to get out and push with a Kerbal until the periapsis was at a safe distance. I eventually sent a rescue team and got all 3 kerbals back home safe. :D

This reminds me of an story in an book, a lady was to go back to L5 from an moon city using an long coilgun accelerator, something went wrong so she got to low speed and the pod lost control, she saved herself by exiting the ship with an override, opening both airlock doors at once and gotten shoot out making her miss the mountain with some 100 meters.

A friend of mine said I have too much time on my hands. I sent this in reply.

I do not either! However, when I happen to have a shuttle…

JebGoesToDuna5.jpg

And it needs to get from Duna to the space station above, but it’s got too little fuel… :huh:

ShuttleRescue1.jpg

So I send a space tug diving after it… :0.0:

ShuttleRescue2.jpg

Pull it back from the jaws of Duna’s gravity… :confused:

ShuttleRescue3.jpg

And successfully bring them both back to the station with the barest 4.04 units of fuel left! :cool:

ShuttleRescue4.jpg

Where was I going with that? Oh yea, no I don’t have too much time on my hands!

:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.