[0.25] Hot Beverage Inc - Scalding Hot Parts (10/10 - New shipment!)

Ph34rb0t

Welcome!

Hot Beverage Inc is back after yet another catastrophic tea spill in one of our factories! (This time, however, the chief engineer got demoted to chief janitor.)

We finally managed to get our most beloved products back into production again. Same prices, same look, more SCIENCE!

Due to yet another catastrophic unfortunate incident at our factory involving questionable organic material, we were forced to relocate our business to a different, but much more promising location (Shantytown, that run-down shop with the familiar Cup logo).

Long story short, the cleanup involved lots and lots of pyrotechnic work and biologically deviant Kerbals from the cleaup (man, that material was really, REALLY questionable) had to be sent on a glorious exploration mission to Kerbol (helmets of to you, you magnificent mutated specimen!).

But we wouldn't be HBI if we didn't put a positive face on dire situations!

Our products are now 0.01% organic - as we're not taking any risks this time - and available with a huge discount! Pay for one part and get them all!

Where, you're asking?!

Take a left at the place with the "Biohazard!" signs plastered over it, go straight down the road, take a right and follow NovaSilisko Ave. for 12 kilometers. Don't let the run down houses fool you! We just wanted to be the first to claim this up-and-coming part of town for prosperous business development.

If you run into the "Cup" sign, you're there!

(Map Directions)

Come pay us a visit and enjoy the most sterile parts available on Kerbin!

Pleeeeeease!

Portfolio:

(We honor traditions as change is an evil thing!)

1. Fuel Cells

Going to the dark side of [random planet] and worried about running out of electricity for your electric coffee maker!?

Look no further, we've got the perfect advanced electrical solution!

2. Sensor Module

The exterior appearance of your spaceships is too cluttered? Sensors hanging all about? Ever confused a gravioli sensor with a thermo cup of tea?

Well, HBI has the king of advanced science tech for you: The unbeatable, unbreakable and undeniable sensooOOR MODUUUUUUULE!

Grab it at our shop while it's still hot! Or better don't. Because it's hot.

3. Kerturn IB

Sat1b.jpg

Need a lift?

Call 0-7225-MECHJEB. Wait for an answer. If someone picks up, tell him that "Heavier rocketry is superior to specialized construction. Very heavy rocketry? Yeah, that'd be your mom."

Don't worry, it's a supersecret passphrase. For maximum hilarity, don't forget to ask for "Kerbaltoads".

Endorsed by HBI:

FASA

Kerturn IB - with bump maps!

Edited by Ph34rb0t
Updaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaates!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

*Bumperoni*

If anyone tells me what changes are required to make .20 parts work in .23 (tech tree entries only, I presume*)

How realistic are these fuelcells? I mean, I know the technology is science based, but is the energy production also realistic in terms of quantity and duration?

Reality is not an option. ;)

*I'll gladly accept suggestions for tech levels.

*Bumperoni*

If anyone tells me what changes are required to make .20 parts work in .23 (tech tree entries only, I presume*)

Reality is not an option. ;)

*I'll gladly accept suggestions for tech levels.

Hi there, pretty much just need two lines:

TechRequired = electrics
entryCost = 800

TechRequired should be pretty obvious - best idea is probably look at the cfg for a part you think should be a similar tech level and use whatever it says in that one. entryCost isn't currently used, but defines the cost of unlocking the part.

All the parts are now playing hard to get and hide about halfway down the tech tree. Also, familiar looking preview pics on page one*.

(*Nah, they don't look familiar at all. ... Okay, they do. Because we blew our marketing budget for a vacation on the Kerbhamas.)

I recently found out that the Apollo fuel cells gave out a respectable 1,4 kW. Apollo seems to have had three of those. I only found one source stating this, however.

As I've said, my version is not realistic. "FuelCellFuel" turns into "FuelCellWaste" and "ElectricCharge". I don't know how much power they emit, but they should last for around 14 (Kerbin) days. That number was derived from Gemini 7's nearly 14 days in orbit.

If you absolutely want realistic fuel cells (hydrogen, oxygen, waste water, waste heat, electricity, water dump, venting, insulation, cell degradation, membrane failures, short-outs, long-outs, whereabouts), feel free to change the config accordingly.

Thanks!

The parts are now updated accordingly.

Nicely done! I love the look of the textures, very stockalike and pleasing.

Thanks. Low-res-low-detail before it was cool. :cool:

I would like to point out it's "Scalding Hot" as opposed to "scolding".

*Blushes*

It was the intern...yeah, the intern who did this.

Firstly, this is a great mod. I really love the model :)

I tweaked my config so it runs on fuel (not sure why it has its own resource... isn't that the point of a fuel cell that it runs on fuel?). I'm using TAC life support do I have also changed the byproduct to drinking water as it should be.

I've also adjusted the efficiency. The part needs to have a better electricity to weight ratio than the same weight of batteries (otherwise no-one would have ever used fuel cells... they would just put more batteries on board) With batteries providing 20,000 elec per ton the fuel cell needs to produce at least the same per ton of fuel (liguid+oxidizer)... which works out at about 222 power generated per 1 whole unit of liquid fuel.

Fuels cells are probably more efficient than solar panels... but of course panels don't drink your fuel reserves.

Edited by Mulbin

I tweaked my config so it runs on fuel (not sure why it has its own resource... isn't that the point of a fuel cell that it runs on fuel?). I'm using TAC life support do I have also changed the byproduct to drinking water as it should be.

I've had to amp up the efficiency to make the part practical. By default you are much better off spamming batteries to get more electricity for your weight, the fuel cell should offer better electricity to weight ratio than batteries (otherwise they wouldn't have been used). To actually make it practical you need to set it to generate 10,000 units of elec for every 1 unit of rocket fuel (10,000 in batteries is only 0.5 in weight)... and also reduce the weight of the part itself.

Real fuel cells can run on a variety of fuels. The "closed system" setup was intentional, lest Squad or some mod changing resources and throwing these things off balance.

Same reason for the byproducts. I believe in kerbal dexterity, hence no need for water.

And just because there's a fuel cell in the ship doesn't mean that you can power your entire party equipment with it. ;)

Keep in mind that electirical power requirements in 0.20 weren't as high and that I haven't tested these with any SCIENCE stuff. Also, I do not intend to nerf other power generation/storage equipment.

The cells can be used to recharge a battery pack on missions to faraway places or so. Or power small satellites. Or for use as a longer lasting backup.

Regardlessly: Feel free to post your config or tweaked values.

In fact it should churn out more than a solar panel... but a solar panel doesn't eat your fuel ;)

But it looks stupid and can't be deployed if you forget batteries and run out of power. :P

- Edit:

Efficiency: Roughly 25% for period-accurate (~Apollo) solar panels versus 60% for period-accurate fuel cells.

So if anything, Squad's solar panels are overpowered. :D

Edited by Ph34rb0t

Yeah, the panels are way overpowered, probably because they want to offset the advantage of the electric generator. I say delete the generator and get a stock fuel cell :)

Still not convinced by the closed system, if left stock it means your part is just a heavier, less efficient battery. You can switch the normal batteries on and off already and transfer power between them, so adding the fuel cell makes no sense when you can just add some more batteries equal to the amount of power your part is capable of generating, which weighs less. But as you say people can customise it, and the part looks great! i'll get my config up at some point :) Having great fun balancing power on long journeys... can I spare just a bit more fuel to stay alive?...

Edited by Mulbin

• 2 months later...

Anyone has a hint why I have a extremely difficult time to get the science data off that module when in EVA?

Once it was even impossible to get to the data in the module - no menu showing up at all.

Thanks to overengineering I brought the whole mun lander back so it was not lost, but...

RMB clicking it while inside the ship was no problem at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.