Finally did it! True SSTO Spaceplane, pure stock, landed KSC runway w spare fuel

I am still a bit trembling with excitement and hand exhaustion. I finally created a stable SSTO Spaceplane, that allowed me a 122,000m by 122,000m circular equatorial orbit above Kerbin. The reason why my hand is tired is that I hand-flew the thing almost all the way up (I use a Logitech Attack 3 joystick), to ensure myself that it is indeed stable in the different layers of atmosphere that Kerbin had. And yes, it was rock stable (except from 0 to 10k meters, which was one of the reasons why I opted to hand-fly it), using very little ASAS during the ascent. And, after a few orbits, waiting for the sun to rise at KSC, I deorbited. I originally wanted the post-entry window to be exactly over the western part of KSC, but I miscalculated my burn and ended up west of the big mountains west of KSC. But no problem, I still had about 20% of jet fuel left! So I flew it (and it flew SWEET!) back to KSC and landed without any surprises. But man, it felt like I really accomplished something. I'm still smiling as I type this. Screenshots will follow (still uploading it in my imageshack account).

And to Capt. Kalawang. I think I know what you did, re the "True SSTO Spaceplane flyers are pro's"...I think one reason you did that was to simply let others set a goal, and I did set it as my goal, and boy does it feel so sweet to accomplish it. :) Thanks pare. :)

And oh, as an effing sweet bonus, JEB was pilot! Yes, folks, fresh from his rescue at Eve by Bill, Jeb was eager and excited for the SSTO Spaceplane mission, and did his job most excellently :D

Here are the pics:

Ascent...

(EDIT: wrong plane...seems I didn't take screenshots during ascent :( but I will do this again and record a video)

Achieved orbit!

screenshot163kc.png

Glamour shot...

screenshot165r.png

Map view. My initial orbit was around 91km x 112km I believe, but I wanted to go above 120km so I can speed up time more, to wait for the Kerbin sunrise over the cape, I mean KSC.

screenshot166b.png

Now uploading the re-entry and landing shots...here they are:

Just right after the fiery re-entry...

screenshot167n.png

Still need to fly over those mountains. Note, SAS is off, yet rock stable! I DID IT! YAY!

screenshot170cv.png

Banking hard left to KSC, and still stable! I was afraid it might go crazy, but it was smooth as silk.

screenshot171te.png

Approaching KSC...

screenshot174f.png

Cockpit (IVA) view...sweet to line up with the runway in this manner, esp. with a joystick.

screenshot175j.png

Just a little more...

screenshot180x.png

I had a little stutter as I flew over the west end of the runway, cause me to overcorrect and do a wild bank! I thought Jeb was done for...but I managed to correct it.

screenshot181l.png

Finally...landed! ...rollout...

screenshot182c.png

Wheel stop!!!

screenshot183y.png

Here's Jeb posing beside the "SIGBIN" (that's what I will call her, the XRSTS-04 "Sigbin")

screenshot187.png

Edited by rodion_herrera

Congrats! I remember my first SSTO and the experience was similar. It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? Enjoy your new plane! :D

Thanks! And you bet! :D I plan to enhance this design, because I really want to use it once I get to build a station up LKO. I have tons of modifications for my current prototype, like docking options, and cargo. The fact that I managed to get some spare fuel going back means I can sacrifice a bit on ascent fuel. And those Aerospikes are damn great for SSTO's, I never knew that :D And yeah I guess if some now see the screenshots above, I did a little intake spamming, but that was just a precaution--I plan to remove them one by one to see how many are truly optimal and not overkill.

You've done something that i've not been able to do for a long time. Nice job. I was going to say, the screenshots in space looked like you've lost some intakes, but it was a different craft lol

Yes, I had to take those down, because that was -02, a botched attempt :( Sigbin is -04, and finally worked :D

Right now I hate the fact that I needed a girder for the nosewheel, to aid in takeoff. Doesn't look nice sticking out like that. I hope the Damned Robots pack can help me hinge or fold that away.

Edited by rodion_herrera

Thanks guys! I managed to make modifications so it won't look "ugly" as it is in the photos above. Basically, I tucked in the intakes in the fuselage and wing root area, and also managed to lower the nosewheel without any ill-effects. I just did some hops around KSC and looks like my changes didn't change flight behavior at all! So it's going to be good! :D

screenshot194m.png

screenshot201z.png

screenshot204m.png

screenshot206w.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.