When in orbit, this spins out of control and throttle becomes useless

I have this rover that I'm trying to get on the Mun, but when it separates from the rest of the ship, it spins uncontrollably and RCS/liquid engines become useless and make the problems worse.

sEWFjeA.jpg

Suggestions?

I don't see any SAS modules in that pic, and engines at the fore of a ship is very prone to instability and lack of control. Fix those two things and your problem will diminish or go away. Oh, and the engine above the rover strut my be close enough that the exhaust is cancelling itself out, leaving you with only 2 working engines that are not symmetrical around the centerline.

I've had that issue with a Munar rover using the big wheels too. Try exiting the game and coming back in, or deploying the landing gear. If all else fails, download 0.20.1, it might have fixed that bug.

Already did those.

I don't see any SAS modules in that pic, and engines at the fore of a ship is very prone to instability and lack of control. Fix those two things and your problem will diminish or go away. Oh, and the engine above the rover strut my be close enough that the exhaust is cancelling itself out, leaving you with only 2 working engines that are not symmetrical around the centerline.

There is an ASAS at the bottom of the stack. I will rearrange RCS boosters, and change my liquid booster type.

EDIT: This has worked along with stupid_chris ideas. Rep.

Edited by Joey

The problem is that your CoT is above your CoM. It's a known bug that causes the gimbal on the engines to throw everything off course. ASAS makes it worse by trying to correct a left with another left, making it worse every second. Disable the engines's gimbal and you'll be alright! 95% chances that this is the problem.

The problem is that your CoT is above your CoM. It's a known bug that causes the gimbal on the engines to throw everything off course. ASAS makes it worse by trying to correct a left with another left, making it worse every second. Disable the engines's gimbal and you'll be alright! 95% chances that this is the problem.

I have done this with the stock atomic liquid booster and it plays well now. Rep.

I have done this with the stock atomic liquid booster and it plays well now. Rep.

Aw thanks, and no problem! Your best bet to help control is to add an SAS module but no ASAS so it tries to prevent any movement. RCS could also help, but it can be heavy and usually fine tune controls and probe torque are enough ^^

In the long term, you might want to take off one set of RCS, and try to get your center of mass lower down so it's less likely to tip over... and/Or widen the wheelbase with a few girders and struts. That'll help your stability and keep things from going boom.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.