Aynone had their EVA character controls messed up?

beeblebrox

My controls seems to be permanently stuck with moving forward or turning around etc. That is if I for example send Jebediah on an EVA on a planet surface, it doesn't matter if I press W, A, S, D or anything, he just moves forward regardless, or sometimes the character just rotates.

I've tried remapping the controls to other keys but with no luck.

Anybody experienced this? I've tried googling for it, thinking it might be a common issue, but no luck.

Regards

Bib

Edited by beeblebrox

Well, for starters.. It is called EVA, not IVA. IVA is for when you are in vehicle, EVA is when you are out. Try googling EVA instead of IVA.

Thanks, but it was just a mental typo while writing the post. I mean EVA of course :). Post updated.

You have to understand that, the camera modes for the Kerbals CHANGE, when you elect to use the SAFER...oops...there goes me getting real world again hehe....I meant when you press "R", you activate the "RCS system" for the Kerbals. Once this happens, the controls kind of change. If not pressed "R", and the Kerbal is walking around, the direction key you press, will make him walk or FACE IN THAT direction. However, after you press R and bring out the thruster jets, the controls change, and now when you press the S key, you don't see Jeb turning around and walking towards you, instead, your Kerbal now is pushed backwards by the jets. I hope this clarifies that issue with the changing cam/control, after pressing "R"

I don't think he means this as I had the same problem last night.

Press w to walk forward, release w and he keeps on walking....and walking...and....

R doesn't respond whilst he's walking.

Haven't tried in latest patch yet.

Yes I did experience that once. I did not report the bug because once solved I could not reproduce it. I think I just went back to my ship and then quit and went back to the game and it solved the problem.

You can try to switch between control modes as well (can't remember the key, check in the settings), which switch between strafe and turn when you use left and right.

Sorry if that does not help.

I just realized that of the very few post I have made only one has ever been put up. Please note I saw another note on the same problem, only one post in the thread so there are others having the trouble. I NOT ONLY NEED SOME HELP, I MAY BE ABLE TO OFFER SOME AND HELP SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I have something to say about this one and some questions. I have tried the "V" camera settings. Caps Lock has no effect that I can tell. F12 debug does show some graphics errors and that may be the problem. What kind of video driver are you running beeblebrox? Are you running a mouse? I know about "R" and I think jetting then going back to walk mode will fix the spin but lock the facing direction. I have found that "H" has a repeatable effect.

The problem:

Intermittently the Kirbal walking on the surface either will only walk in one direction or it will only spin around.

Solution for spin: I have no idea because it is not repeatable but I have gotten that to switch to the walking in one direction problem a couple of times, just can't make it repeatable.

Partial Solution for walking in one direction: The problem of walking in one direction can consistently be fixed by pressing the "H" key but not entirely. The W-S-A-D keys all send him in the right direction but he will never turn and only faces the direction in which he was stuck. (Yes I know that H is used with RCS but I have not been able to work out a link to this problem.)

I have seen this one time before but it quit doing it. I think it was about a week ago and that bothers me because I did not document it as being .19.1 or .2.0, or .2.2 but I have no doubt it has done it on .2.0 and .2.2. I suspected mods since I have loaded several and written some that are to primitive to share at this time so I set up a clean install and it still happens. I have my joystick set up and I suspect that because the first time I saw the problem a couple of weeks ago it was when I did some joystick moves, that did not do what they were supposed too, so I switched back to the keyboard. I thought that may have been the root of the problem tonight so I took it off the system but still have Kerbals at my first anomaly on Duna and they are walk impaired.

I just downloaded the latest NVidia Gforce driver and next time I loaded I had the problem but I have been mapping the last three days and have not tried an EVA so it may not be related.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit Professional on an i7 with 16 GB of RAM and the game is on an SSD.

I am not what sure you want me to photograph. I have a capsule on the surface and two Kerbals out walking around. I have planted a flag and want to go look around. Let me try and explain better.

Spinning problem: No matter which walk button I press the Kerbal stands in one spot and rotates like an ice skater doing a blur spin.

Walking but not turning problem: When I press any of the walk buttons the Kerbal goes in that direction but if he was facing, say north for example, he will always face north. When I command him to go south, he faces north and walks backwards. When I tell him to walk east, he faces north and side steps east. When I tell him to walk west he faces north and side steps west.

Completely exiting the game and re-loading it made it go away just as it did before, but it comes back. I set the joystick up again, not that I really use it, but this time it did not cause either of the problems. I am pretty sure the first time and maybe another time I have seen the problem it was after using the joystick so I hoped they might be related and I could prove it. Then there would be a direction to follow to an answer and the short fix would be to unplug it.

I reloaded the Nvidia driver and set all the settings manually. Then I cleared out all the joystick settings and re-did them. The problem still comes and goes but now if I keep cycling through the RCS ® system it eventually goes away. Before I did all the computer clean up I could not make it go away.

Walking but not turning problem: When I press any of the walk buttons the Kerbal goes in that direction but if he was facing, say north for example, he will always face north. When I command him to go south, he faces north and walks backwards. When I tell him to walk east, he faces north and side steps east. When I tell him to walk west he faces north and side steps west.

At least in my game this is how an EVA Kerbal walks on the surface when his RCS backpack is turned on.

That's the expected behaviour in strafe mode. In this mode to turn you have to use mouse to rotate the view and press the space bar to align kerbal direction with mouse view orientation

You can change mode and go back to the usual turn mode by pressing a key. I can't remember which one, it is in the settings (toggle EVA mode or something like that).

This is not a bug and should not be confused with what happened to beeblebrox (and once myself) where left or right makes you go forward exactly like if you were pressing the forward key.

Edited by haltux

As for not turning, it sounds like you have hit the alt key, which puts him in a movement mode where he walks in the direction you want without changing the direction he is facing. The spinning thing I only saw one of my kerbals do once. He was stuck that way for a moment, but I think I had him jump (spacebar) or take a short hop with his RCS pack, and that seemed to reset the glitch and he moved properly again.

I've occasionally had a "WHAT THE *BLLLEEEEP* DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING JEB?" while doing an EVA. I don't know what it is but the controls go bonkers. I tend to try changing the camera view to see if that helps but when it doesn't I go back to the Space Center (hit esc and then select Space Center) and then go to the tracking station and back to my Kerbal and everything seems to work right again. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does it reallllllllly gets frustrating.

Intermittent bugs... hated them when I was a programmer.

• 4 weeks later...

A month later I am still having this problem. Usually I can hit space, or Alt, or turn the RCS system on and off enough that it will eventually go away, but not always. Sometimes the only solution is to exit and reload the game. Yes they will get stuck spinning, or walking in any direction but only facing one. I do not think the joystick is the cause of the problem but many of the times it happens it is after I have been using the joystick, but not every time.

I may be a bottle rocketeer but I have played enough to have been to all of the planets and moons and landed on many of them by now. Manual trans-planetary courses are almost second nature, so I am not a total novice and it is aggravating me that I have yet to figure this one out and usually just futz with it or reload the game.

Edited by Rod4Rodger
spelling

I've not had the problem since I changed my controls around (namely the EVA buttons) to match how the ship flies. I use the I and K buttons for vertical translation now because the Ctrl and Shift keys are really awkward.

But yeah, as you have found, you have to reload the game or go to space centre and back to force it to update correctly. To be honest though, I thought they had fixed this because it has been so long since I have seen it happen to my Kerbals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.