I need a rescue craft

Hello fellow Kerbonauts.

I have a problem. i got four guys on the mun. four landers with no fuel to return home.

i want to build a craft, that will be capable of flying to the mun, staying in its orbit, deploying a smaller lander to retrieve the crew, go back to orbit, reattach with the craft in orbit, and return to kerbin safely.

can anyone help me ? im an excellent flyer, but im not the best engineer. can anyone help to build this craft? id be very thankfull for any kind of help or tips.

greetings

JuanEnrique

i'll give this a go, but first i have a few questions.

1. is it Stock? or do you have mods?

2. you said there is 4 separate landers, are they near by or far apart? approximately how far apart are they?

3. Can you dock? Without RCS?

many of my missions involve docking without RCS it can be tedious but i think RCS is just dead weight most of the time.

hi and thx for responding

id prefer stock items yes, but i do have mods like smart sas

the four landers are a few meters away from eachother and the four kerbals are standing by eachother.

and i think im better atdocking WITH rcs.

its really, id need to know how to build a rocket with a detachable and reatachable lander.

hi snoopy and thx for ur response

id prefer stock items, yes, landers and kerbals are all like just afew meters away from eachother and i think im better at docking with rcs.

its really just the engineering part. what parts would make a rocket, that will come back to kerbin, have room for 4extra kerbals, and have a detachable lander stage

You don't need to use a detachable lander. For the Mun, it's much easier to build the Hitchhiker crew storage into the lander, and then use it to go straight to Kerbin and parachute down. Just make sure to minimize your payload, use probe cores if you don't want to strand more Kerbals, possibly do some testing, and have more than enough fuel.

got it, would have had it earlier but my internet was down.

its well capable of landing and returning from the mun, just be sure to EVA the crew BEFORE launch!

cdff75257713585.jpg

539f94257713682.jpg

feel free to make any modifications you want,

here's the link to download.

http://db.tt/hzmjCmqM

also, if the orange tank doesn't decouple use physical time warp (Alt + > or Alt + .) and it will magically fall off.

Edited by Avsnoopy

I can give you this lander design, a very light one with a Dv of 2000m/s by itself. It use a probe, have 4 places and with parachute it can land on Kerbun. More if you attach outside seat.

Attaching it to an orbital vehicle capable of refueling it shouldn't be difficult.

screenshot5_zpsc7779fbb.png

You can use this as your lander.

It lands on M-1x1 Structural Panel to save weight, so don't land on any steep slope ( not that legs would help you much better )

8EB7luS.jpg

It uses seats, so beware the seat bugs.

While seated don't

- Quicksave/Quickload

- Switch vessels

- Interrupt flight and go to the spaceport

- Feed your Kerbals at midnight :D

And, one more thing, it has a brutal TWR and no ASAS. But you said you are a good pilot :wink:

Edited by MBobrik

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.