Is the game stable enough to play in realtime?

beeblebrox

Is the game stable enough to be up and running for months?

Thanks

Bib

Even if it isn't you can still do this. Just use time warp to advance the game to whatever real time elapsed while the game wasn't running.

You know, that's one aspect that would really suck.

You spend a year and a half in flight getting to Laythe, and by the time you get there, everybody else is marveling at the crazy weather and wildlife that was added to the moon over the six releases they've installed since you launched. D:

You spend a year and a half in flight getting to Laythe, and by the time you get there, everybody else is marveling at the crazy weather and wildlife that was added to the moon over the six releases they've installed since you launched. D:

Bill, Jeb and Bob still haven't seen the 0.19+ lauchpad yet in my game. I do things a few months at a time.

That's a good point actually, haven't thought of that.

Great with all the comments! Interesting to hear about how you all relate to this.

The current plan is to get a second license of the game so that I can play regularly while this project runs on a machine in the closet. I wouldn't indeed be able to stop playing for so long.

Then obviously I need to prove this so I don't end up being accused of cheating like that silent hunter guy. I wonder how much storage it would take to screenrecord a 1-year mission... :cool:

The only thing I see as a really critical threat is the fact that I want to do this with something which is far away, likely a jool moon, and it has to be one I haven't visited yet. Doing this project for old news would be no fun at all.

That would mean doing this elaborate mission without any training or simulation, knowing only in theory that fuel will be sufficient etc. Some serious calculations need to be nailed down and I would have to get a lot better at playing the game generally.

That's a good point actually, haven't thought of that.

Great with all the comments! Interesting to hear about how you all relate to this.

The current plan is to get a second license of the game so that I can play regularly while this project runs on a machine in the closet. I wouldn't indeed be able to stop playing for so long.

Then obviously I need to prove this so I don't end up being accused of cheating like that silent hunter guy. I wonder how much storage it would take to screenrecord a 1-year mission... :cool:

The only thing I see as a really critical threat is the fact that I want to do this with something which is far away, likely a jool moon, and it has to be one I haven't visited yet. Doing this project for old news would be no fun at all.

That would mean doing this elaborate mission without any training or simulation, knowing only in theory that fuel will be sufficient etc. Some serious calculations need to be nailed down and I would have to get a lot better at playing the game generally.

Livestream it for 1 year.

Livestream it for 1 year.

Yes! Stupid me, genius you :).

That would be a great monitor as well. Sitting in the kitchen with laptop, checking in on the mission through the live stream before checking facebook etc.

Yes! Stupid me, genius you :).

That would be a great monitor as well. Sitting in the kitchen with laptop, checking in on the mission through the live stream before checking facebook etc.

Yes! Even some form of static semi-realtime webpage with simple visualization of mission progress would be amazing :)

And I wont even mention interviews with crew, live TV shows with our brave kerbonauts, short look "behind mission-command scenes"... Merchandise space is also quite huge ("Duna and back in realtime and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" t-shirt? I'm in! :)

I'd not be so afraid of stability of your system nor KSP itself. If your workstation will require few restarts, well, there's not much you'd do about that. Keep it running, keep it safe, keep regular backups of KSP space, just in case :)

I did a return voyage of a mission to the Mun in realtime once. I did the launch, put the game into IVA mode, and then did a bunch of cleaning around my apartment that I’d been neglecting for far too long. I read a book as well, periodically looking at Kerbin from the ship's window as it slowly became bigger and bigger.

Yes! Even some form of static semi-realtime webpage with simple visualization of mission progress would be amazing :)

And I wont even mention interviews with crew, live TV shows with our brave kerbonauts, short look "behind mission-command scenes"... Merchandise space is also quite huge ("Duna and back in realtime and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" t-shirt? I'm in! :)

I'd not be so afraid of stability of your system nor KSP itself. If your workstation will require few restarts, well, there's not much you'd do about that. Keep it running, keep it safe, keep regular backups of KSP space, just in case :)

You are way ahead of me :D

Indeed a lot of security measures would be must-haves. And writing some plugs tailored to provide status channels is a good idea!

I hope no one minds, but im just going to go ahead and setup a stream tonight and run it in realtime:-) Honestly i get burned out if i play too much kerbal straight so this will be a nice happy medium.

That would be awsome, will you post a link?

Try doing a real-time docking in lko. Its actually quite fun.

I did that a couple times when I was testing to see if rendezvous/docking is possible from IVA and the map views. It was tolerable as I was busy for much of the flight, but any more than that wouldn't be that fun for me.

Now running as much as is reasonable on twitch.tv/tinweasele. Ill try to keep it running at 1x speed as much as possible except when i have multi year trips, then we may need to speed things up a bit:-)

/edit i will also be keeping mission logs, as well as a budget in excell.

Edited by Tinweasele

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.