TiberDyne Aerospace Flightline

Tiberion

Dateline: Kertinker AFB, Koklahoma City, Koklahoma

TiberDyne Aerospace held a series of flght trials today for a collection of civilian and military aerospace experts as they demonstrated their line of performance aircraft, many of which are under consideration for government contracts. All told, things seem to go rather well; There was only 1 small fire in a fuel tender, and 2 explosions throughout the trials (not counting the fuel tender.) Three of the aircraft even made successful landings.

The biggest news of the day was the announcement of a series of joint missions with the Kerbal Space Authority. TiberDyne\'s aircraft have underwent space-hardening and systems upgrades to enable full orbital capabilities. The tests are designed to support the design of a next-generation re-usable orbiter vehicle to support the rapidly growing space program.

Below is the press release about the aircraft at the test today.

XT-11 Kestrel

The Kestrel is an experimental high-performance agility-fighter testbed, powered by 2 C7AX-301 rocket motors. Its agility is the result of an extremely small flight profile, aided by advanced computer avionics, putting it at the bleeding edge of atmospheric performance characteristics. Like all Kerbin aircraft, it requires a crew of three. Fully pressurized and space-hardened.

Flight Status: In field trials, provisionally kerbal-rated

kestrel2.png

kestrel.png

kestrel1.png

XT-12 Skyhawk

The Skyhawk was designed from the ground up as a multi-role, high-maneuvering spacecraft, capable of operating as a high-altitude terrestrial/low orbital aircraft on missions of reconnaissance and defense as well as extended near-kerbin missions when combined with an optional launch-assist vehicle. Adjustable load-outs let it operate with one, two or three C7AX-301 rocket motors, depending on mission requirements.

Fight Status: In field trials, provisionally kerbal-rated

skyhawk1.png

skyhawk.png

XT-15 Gryphon

One of two entries by TiberDyne into Project Kerbamemnon, a design competition aimed at developing a medium-payload, conventional takeoff space-frame, used for on-orbit delivery of supplies and personnel to KSA facilities. Normally uses 2 C7AX-301 rocket motors, a third can be added for added payload capacity. After its sister ship was selected as the project winner, the Gryphon was adopted sub-orbital high-speed interceptor and bomber for the air force. It retains full extra-atmosphere capability and is planned to be available as a stand-by rescue and support craft for future space missions.

Flight Status: In operational trials, fully Kerbal-rated

gryphon.png

gryphon1.png

XT-17 Condor

The Condor was selected as winner of Project Kerbamemnon, and is slated to begin testing as a payload delivery system within 2 years. Unlike its sister ship it uses 3 C7AX-301 rocket motors full time, while its true payload capacity remains classified. On October 8th, Condor XT-17-A completed two orbits at an altitude of 98 kilometers while testing its orbital maneuvering systems. It then de-orbited successfully and landed under its own power at Kerbenburg Air Force Base in Kerbifornia.

Flight status: In final trials, fully Kerbal-rated

condor1m.png

condor.png

Required versions/mods:

KSP 0.11

C7 Flight Pack 2.1

Tuned SAS

Nova\'s SIDR (for Ablatross/Kestral combo only)

(more details in readme)

It goes without saying that all credit goes to C7studios for his awesome mod parts

K-35 KSF (S-variant, orbital package)

TiberDyne Aerospace has been sub-contracted to develop a space-hardened variant of Lockerb-Martin\'s K-35 Kerbal Strike Fighter as a proof-of-concept for a space-based superiority fighter. Challenges include a drop-in C7AX-301 rocket motor and adaptation of the VTOL system from turbofan to directed-thrust, which will double as an orbital maneuvering system. The added weight significantly changes the aircraft\'s flight profile, requiring updated flight package and control surfaces.

Flight Status: Atmospheric trials, VTOL testing - Not Kerbal-rated for space

k35ksf1.png

k35ksf.png

XC-40 Albatross

Designed as a high-payload orbital transport vehicle, the Albatross is primarily intended to be an unmanned, reusable launch-assist vehicle in tandem flight with the Kestral and Skyhawk spacecraft Configured in a vertical launch setup with booster assisted take-off, the Xt-40u can deliver both ships to low-kerbin orbit without every engaging their main engines, increasing their operational range by a large margin. It can then be returned remotely for re-use. Based on the space-frame of the XT-17 Condor, when configured in its non-assist format, it includes a crew cabin for manned operation or recovery operations. Powered by 3 C7AX-301 rocket motor.

Flight Status: In early trials - Not Kerbal-rated

albatross1.png

albatross.png

albakes.png

The Albatross preparing to release the Kestrel for orbital insertion

albakes1.png

The Kestrel is away! Ablatross will retroburn and return to Kerbin

XR-23 Valkyrie

TiberDyne\'s first official project to reach operation status is the XR-23 Valkyrie (soon to be KR-23 when it begins operation in January, 2012.) The Valkyrie is a high-altitude, high speed reconnaissance and observation platform, the first such craft capable of reaching low orbit for extended missions while maintaining direct return capability. Orders for the craft have been rumored by all major domestic intelligence agencies, as well as official orders from the scientific community.

Flight Status: In operation by (Redacted) - Kerbal-rated

valkyrie2f.png

valkyrieu.png

*images from early test versions

XC-55 Orion

The Orion is TiberDyne\'s experimental test-bed for a heavy-lifting, reusable orbital vehicle, based on a scaled-up of their Albatross launch-assist vehicle. On 30 August, 2011 the Orion x1 aircraft suffered a loss of integrity during launch on its 4th trial flight.. Pieces of its 3-section fuselage were brought in for today\'s event for examination by industry experts, hoping to verify claims that the accident was not the result of TiberDyne\'s technology or construction methods, instead caused by the test-flight exceeding the design specifications of the airframe. The remaining test craft is undergoing evaluations for needed upgrades.

Flight Status: Grounded, Flight-rating suspended

orionb.png

Craft files at bottom of 1st post

Tiberion, I\'ll be honest here, I\'ve had more fun than I should have. I\'m neglecting my other games, and these craft are prime examples of why. They make one of the most fun games I have ever played even more enjoyable.

Batman: Arkham City won\'t get played for at least another week. (Along with RAGE, Gears 3, Dark Souls still on hold halfway through. I won\'t get my work done at this rate.) :D

Tiberion, I\'ll be honest here, I\'ve had more fun than I should have. I\'m neglecting my other games, and these craft are prime examples of why. They make one of the most fun games I have ever played even more enjoyable.

Batman: Arkham City won\'t get played for at least another week. (Along with RAGE, Gears 3, Dark Souls still on hold halfway through. I won\'t get my work done at this rate.) :D

I hear ya, there. I spent most of my free time yesterday tweaking my shuttle launcher design and piloting technique.. I did get a working ship though, I\'ll try to share it later, though s20dan already posted his.

Yeah the separate cockpit replacer downloads weren\'t updated. You can either fix them manually by opening the PNG in the texture folder in MS Paint and resaving it, or by grabbing and renaming the PNG out of the 'Cockpit' folder in the main C7 flight pack, which WAS fixed (its the same part, the replacer is just renamed to overwrite the default pod, since that is the only way to actually use it as your main cockpit)

The good news is; KSP 0.12 should have a pod chooser function, so it won\'t be necessary to do that any more :D (its still a few weeks away, though, probably)

Is there a part that is suppose to replace the original MK3pod?

you mean the mk1pod? That\'s the default pod that comes with the game, and you have to 'replace it' with some other pod if you want an actual different pod. Most mods that have a pod replacer also add those pod parts into the game as a separate part since some people want more than one pod on their ship (and it used to be useful for the added control-force the pod put out)

For C7, the pod replacers are in the C7 Flight Pack Thread in the first post, down inside the 'Old Releases' spoiler button C7 Command Replacer

That one has the parts and cfg set up to replace mk1pod, so when you start up, the game will start you with the spaceplane cockpit; that zip is the one that still has the red texture that needs to be 'fixed'

T

you mean the mk1pod? That\'s the default pod that comes with the game, and you have to 'replace it' with some other pod if you want an actual different pod. Most mods that have a pod replacer also add those pod parts into the game as a separate part since some people want more than one pod on their ship (and it used to be useful for the added control-force the pod put out)

For C7, the pod replacers are in the C7 Flight Pack Thread in the first post, down inside the 'Old Releases' spoiler button C7 Command Replacer

That one has the parts and cfg set up to replace mk1pod, so when you start up, the game will start you with the spaceplane cockpit; that zip is the one that still has the red texture that needs to be 'fixed'

T

I got it fixed after tinkering with it like you explained. I was just being lazy, its friday, and i want to go home and not think about setting a emloyees computer on fire (i work at a help desk).

Well, the basics of it is thus:

Main wings need to be near the middle of the plane - by middle I mean its 'center of gravity' the place where it is balanced. Think of it as the place where you could balance it on your finger like a pencil.

As long as the wings are near the center of gravity on the 'level\' plane, it will fly pretty level. The problem is the way the game uses fuel - as you drain tanks, the center of gravity moves.

So, its a delicate thing to make a plane work well when full and empty. Once we get more features it will be easier; variable fuel loadouts, re-worked fuel usage so that tanks all drain together, and better control surfaces (so you can set 'trim' which would basically make it so that 's' is being pressed just enough to hold your flight level.

In the meantime, you can use SAS modules (both the old kind and the new advanced ones) to help with flight attitude; turn it off to make turns/climbs and then back on to cruise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.