Command Seat - Picture Thread

Mox

I have been messing around, was first thinking of a basic RCS 'bike' type craft... but a few canards later and...

ScreamerPrototype_zpsb9a46c2c.png

... she has been nicknamed 'Screamer', after the test pilots helped science discover RCS and Kerbin gravity doesnt mix no matter how high you toss the craft down from. Tests suspended until Mun operations have been re-started and Mun based testing is available.

She is fat, weighing in at 4.2 tons, has 69 parts including Mechjeb2 and except for Mechjeb2 is all stock. She has 440 units of monoprop stored on her, and a hefty electric charge capacity of about 840 units with fixed solar panel for recharging.

She features rear landing feet, a rear and front docking ports, ladders to make climbing to the seat easier, forward lights and 4 short range comm antennas.

She is completely untested in space or Mun gravity, and I have no idea how her RCS control will be like with the way the ports are slapped on... most of the craft is more on trying to look pleasing to my eye (as much as possible with stock parts).

Love the micro rovers, might have a few of those and use them like disposable rovers.

Same with some of the micro planes, use them up then jump off and RCS to safety or have the seat eject and parachute down.

I picture rows of microlanders ejecting and landing from a mothership...

Gotta go.

How do you get a Kerbal into that seat? Every time I've tried to build something with it, I'm told that the vehicle will not be controllable. Even after I add an RGU, the seat is empty when I go to launch.

If someone could please help me launch my Kerbals into space on an old metal tractor seat... for SCIENCE!

How do you get a Kerbal into that seat? Every time I've tried to build something with it, I'm told that the vehicle will not be controllable. Even after I add an RGU, the seat is empty when I go to launch.

If someone could please help me launch my Kerbals into space on an old metal tractor seat... for SCIENCE!

Once you get one into the seat he controls the craft, it always launches with the seat empty. I either add a probe to the craft or have a Kerb stood by the runway/launchpad ready to board but you have to add a kerb to the seat after launch.

Yes, and my question is still: How does one DO that? I've tried driving a Kerbal right up to the pad and going EVA, he's standing right next to the rocket.

Can someone please provide me a less vague answer?

Edited by HeadHunter67

You have to actually provide a way for the kerbal to actually climb up to get near the seat. If it's a tall rocket on the pad, that means including ladders so it can scramble its green butt up there. Once close, right click the seat and click Board.

The seats do not act like nor are they treated like capsules, in that they will not automatically populate with a crewmember.

Also, bear in mind that kerbals sitting in a seat will impart weight to the craft, while ones in capsules do not. If it's a small vertical craft, that will mean an obvious tendency of the ship to lean toward the direction of the seat. If it's a small horizontal craft, you'll need to build it assuming the seat will be heavier than the CoM indicator in the SPH shows, (once there's a crewman in the seat).

Edited by Deadweasel

Thanks, I think I figured it out. Getting a Kerbal to the Launchpad was the hardest part. I had to basically launch a spaceplane, taxi it to near the Launchpad, EVA and walk to the rocket. I can't help but think there's got to be an easier way I haven't realized.

Thanks, I think I figured it out. Getting a Kerbal to the Launchpad was the hardest part. I had to basically launch a spaceplane, taxi it to near the Launchpad, EVA and walk to the rocket. I can't help but think there's got to be an easier way I haven't realized.

After abandoning ladders, I tried this:

9289309540_be23d62667_c.jpg

... at that point realised he had to be properly stationary to get in the seat.

I use a bus/rover/anything else I have handy in the SPH, in this case a kethane tanker that was meant to get to Mun one day. Platform for boarding attached this time!

9289312170_e9252f4eca_c.jpg

First launch of the KSS Slim Pickens appears a success! large fins are mostly for stylistic purposes.

9250174093_b8ffebdcd6_c.jpg

I don't want to know what he's seeing...

9253019218_ba12447155_c.jpg

Edited by Van Disaster

These forums really need a "report user" function that notifies all the mods.

Agreed. Also I've always wondered... are there actually companies that pay people to go out and spam other sites? Because that sounds like a really sad business practice.

Keeping it relevant! There's only one Kerbal here because the other two died on launch. :(

7xmkYLR.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.