Steam Vs. Ksp Store

Penguinhero

Steam Vs. Ksp Store  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Steam Vs. Ksp Store

• Steam
    • Ksp Store

I switched over to Steam because of the crowds during the updates while on the KSP store.

I hope more people have this mentality so my KSP store download isn't jammed up on update day. Seriously though, I guess I'm just more patient and most of the updates aren't mindblowingly necessary immediately. I can play the previous versions for a few hours until the traffic dies down.

It automatically keeps you updated, you can turn automatic updates off and wait a day to see what everyone thinks of the newest version, then just say Update when you want and off it goes. You don't need Steam running to play it. You can move the entire game folder as a backup, and it'll still run

It's no different than not having it on Steam, really, other than it's slightly more convenient when you want to update

What's wrong with auto updates?

Steam only updates in one direction; if an update breaks the game for you and you didn't back up the game... you are screwed because Valve does not care.

Or let's say that after update 1.64 gimped Jabberwaks, and you really wanted to try the classic 1.46... Nope, updates only go one way.

Not all updates are "good"; and most updates are completely unnecessary / non-pertinent to your system. So if you're going to be backing up the game rather than Steam, what is the point of Steam?

I would like to try it out on steam to see how it works, but with the whole irreversible thing, I can't see myself switching. I like to try things out before I make a decision. I have no problems with the KSP store, and I might have them with Steam. Not worth it to me.

On Steam, I downloaded the 0.20 update and had it up and running within 10 minutes of release. The KSP Store gives you a totally DRM free copy of the game that you can manage yourself and keep multiple backups of. Take your pick.

how so?

When i used steam point 1 and 2 where valid and from people that used it recently point 2 still seems valid.

Because 2 is not valid either, nor has it ever been

THERE IS NO DRM IN THE STEAM VERSION

forgive the big letters but there are so many people in this thread that are spewing the same misinformation regarding it that it bears repetition every page due to how many people who seem to be incapable of reading the whole thread without posting XD

I've sworn to never buy a game that requires steam ever again. Last time I did that, I was unable to play the game because I was in the wrong country.

So any DRM that punishes me for trying to play something I bought annoys me now. But that's just me.

Never understood the hate for Steam beyond some stubborn principles, functionality is great as this isn't your 2003's Steam. There is one thing though, realize that buying direct from the developers means they get 100% of the money since they don't have to pay Valve a cut. There's a legitimate reason if you wish to help out smaller indie developers!

Now that I see you're on a Mac I'm leaning more towards not using Steam (even though they have decent Mac support) but still I just have to say Macs always have different problems with a distinct lack of the same support PC users get no matter what...always game on a PC if you can. Nothing personal or Microsoft fanboyism, just facts.

Personally I like the neat and organized system Steam provides me.

Main issue with steam is autoupdates who ignore the do not update check.

For an game under development this is an huge issue, as updates might break saves, or at least cause problems for saves, if they activate reentry heat in 0.3 it will have effects on ships who need to aerobreak without heatshields.

Also issues with mods and updates, more critical than for skyrim and some other games as more mods are affected by updates as they are more than bugfixes.

personally, I don't like a program in my computer to run my games, I might be old fashioned, but I prefer managing my programs by myself without relying on third party software. Well but steam dos help to get more attention for devs and benefit for players with the features maybe..

Steam runs my Civ V and I have no problem with that. I haven't transferred KSP because it's still in development and I don't like to automatically update, preferring to copy down the latest version and run it side by side with my current game. It gives me a chance to evaluate it and install and test mods.

Slow internet here, So I tend to distance myself as far away from steam as I can. Sometimes steam takes 30 minutes - an hour just to log in, meanwhile I'm cruising the web looking at large pictures, or watching youtube videos just fine.

IMHO Steam is a terrible piece of software. It's like that Mitch Hedburg joke, "I don't like fancy bread because its packaged twice. When you open it, It still ain't open. I don't need another step between me and toast"

i know i can back up steam files its just i'm on a mac and steam can go crazy sometime and not start

its happened before

Mac user here too. Got a couple of Steam games, but I try to avoid it, because it always seems really flakey. I guess steam on a Mac is a bit like iTunes on a Windows box.

I have no regrets transfering to Steam, the auto updates are very handy, and for those complaining about that feature well you can downgrade back to previous versions now.

After that, what people really vote for when they vote on this poll is whether they like Steam or not, I've seen there's alot of Steam haters on these forums, but I personally don't regret it, I used to cry the time I was through KSP store, cause of the server crashes, and now on Steam the auto updates are really fast, and Steam is pretty easy for sharing stuff to friends like screenshots etc.

So at the end of the day change for what you think is best.

I have a bit of an odd reason not to transfer to steam. I have tons of games on steam since I tend to buy a lot of games during sales. However, I would never transfer a game over to steam simply to do so for 1 reason.

If some how you could no longer access your steam account, you also end up losing the ability to ever upgrade your KSP game again. If you some how uninstall the game, and can't access steam, you could potentially lose the game all together. The chances of this happening are pretty low, but the risk is not worth it in my eyes. It has happened to me before, though think that was in 2004, close to when steam first came out. Lost all my original half-life games >.>.

I think I can access that account now, but it was much to late, about a few years later when I already had all the half-life games again. My current steam account is from 2005.

TLDR: Steam is great, it's just very hard to trust sometimes. I like being in full control of my games if I am able to.

Edited by Brabbit1987

steam doesn't require an internet connection (just once to install and verify your game). It has this little thing called "offline mode".

I don't understand all this hate for steam either. It's incredibly handy and you have your games with you everywhere you go.

And I like to have all my games in one place so i transferred ksp to steam the moment it became available.

I'm someone who uses both Mac and PC so its easier for me to download both versions from the store to my home server and push them onto the required machines (PC for in the house and getting pretty video/screenshots, MacBook Pro for playing while travelling/out and about waiting for people). With Steam I would have to use the individual machines to download the copies as, unless there's some wizzzardry that I don't know of, you can't download Mac versions to a PC and vice-versa. At the moment, regardless of whether I'm home or not, I can just log into my home server, use that to download the new installs, transfer the install I need to the computer I'm using, transfer my save and ships (automatically backed up to the server too) and start playing.

I would like to use Steam as I have a large number of other games on that service but at the moment its more practical to use the store.

It also tracks how many hours I have put into a game. 163 hours in KSP so far.

Only 163? Mine says 333hrs, I got KSP at the end of April. Of course, some of that is from leaving it running when I go to the store or off to do something else. My reason was because I didn't want to mess with paypal or the other payment methods. The auto update thing is sort of cool, but I find in some cases I didn't even know it updated, plus I'd like to back it up before an update...just in case, so I turned off the auto update feature for now.

• 3 months later...

-There is no DRM (seriously copy and paste the game folder to your desktop or to a different computer, it works fine)

I don't know about KSP on Steam, but all the other games with Steam have DRM, they will launch Steam if you copy them elsewhere, and you won't be able to play them without Steam installed and logged in....