Steam Vs. Ksp Store

Penguinhero

Steam Vs. Ksp Store  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Steam Vs. Ksp Store

• Steam
    • Ksp Store

Reasons why I stay with squad store.

* I feel more freedom in managing multiple copies of the game (good for modding and tampering with game files in general :cool: )

* Don't need steam for off-line game

* Nobody know how many hours (I don't want to count myself) I spend with KSP

* Twisted sense of loyalty :P

Reasons why I stay with squad store.

* I feel more freedom in managing multiple copies of the game (good for modding and tampering with game files in general :cool: )

* Don't need steam for off-line game

* Nobody know how many hours (I don't want to count myself) I spend with KSP

* Twisted sense of loyalty :P

Well, points 1 and 2 are moot now :)

-Steam allows you to back up copies

-Steam auto updates (say goodbye to trying to log into the crashed website every time a major update is released)

-Steam allows you to disable automatic updating

-The game shows you the exact version you're using

-There is no DRM (seriously copy and paste the game folder to your desktop or to a different computer, it works fine)

I honestly don't see a reason not to use it, if you're already a Steam user. Obviously if KSP is the only game you play or you don't already have Steam, it's not really worth the extra trouble.

I like steam, but for KSP, with multiple installs due to different mods and so on, I prefer the option to use different folders. Troubleshooting obnoxious mods becomes much easier as well.

-Steam allows you to back up copies

-Steam auto updates (say goodbye to trying to log into the crashed website every time a major update is released)

-Steam allows you to disable automatic updating

-The game shows you the exact version you're using

-There is no DRM (seriously copy and paste the game folder to your desktop or to a different computer, it works fine)

I honestly don't see a reason not to use it, if you're already a Steam user. Obviously if KSP is the only game you play or you don't already have Steam, it's not really worth the extra trouble.

I think you just made me make my decision i will go to steam

I like steam, but for KSP, with multiple installs due to different mods and so on, I prefer the option to use different folders.

As Aphox mentioned - Steam doesn't prevent you from creating multiple installs.

I personally use Steam, because it's a pretty easy way to manage all of my games.

I think the biggest benefit to Steam is the automatic update - I didn't have to go out and update it, as it updates itself. I got versions 0.20 and 0.20.1 while I was away doing something else :).

hmm seems like all you guys missed the best fix to this dilemma...

Get both steam and KSP-store version, and receive the benefits of both.

(like i did)

What's wrong with auto updates?

Nothing, as long as they're optional. Steam's auto-updates are often mandatory, which is absurd for a single player game. Has steam actually allowed people using mods to refuse to install 0.20.1?

Unless you want to use Steam's Servers to download the update slightly faster;

Steam vs. Amazon? My bet would be on the Amazon S3 network being faster than the steam one.

Nothing, as long as they're optional. Steam's auto-updates are often mandatory, which is absurd for a single player game. Has steam actually allowed people using mods to refuse to install 0.20.1?

You can turn off Auto Updating on Steam. I don't use it for KSP (stuck with the store) but that option works great for Civ 5 and Dawn of War 2.

I prefer to have a DRM free version whenever I can. I sometimes play on other computers and don't want to have to install steam every time. I would like the steam version for my main computer though, and I might buy it if it goes on sale sometime.

You don't have to worry about DRM, you can play games on steam in offline mode.

@Zapmunk> From KSP to Steam, yes, any time, and its free. But it is one way.

I stick with KSP store because I like having the option to go play whatever version I want. I don't like the (extremely light) DRM that Steam introduces in that the steam client has to be run to play. If I take my machine on the road, like to my grandmothers, who has NO INTERNETZ, I wouldn't be able to play.

I'm also an advanced user. I'm very performance oriented, I'm very much in control of what my machine does, and I don't appreciate having a piece of software launch to track what games I'm playing, just so they can throw MORE advertising at me. Since I started with 19.1, I've kept running copies of each version on my Drobo, with the mods installed for that version.

I have Steam installed, and I have about 10 games on there. I have ZERO 'problems' with Steam, its just that given the option of having a game with ZERO DRM versus the light, non-controlling, DRM that is in any Steam game, I'd go for DRM free.

@Zapmunk> From KSP to Steam, yes, any time, and its free. But it is one way.

I stick with KSP store because I like having the option to go play whatever version I want. I don't like the (extremely light) DRM that Steam introduces in that the steam client has to be run to play. If I take my machine on the road, like to my grandmothers, who has NO INTERNETZ, I wouldn't be able to play.

I'm also an advanced user. I'm very performance oriented, I'm very much in control of what my machine does, and I don't appreciate having a piece of software launch to track what games I'm playing, just so they can throw MORE advertising at me. Since I started with 19.1, I've kept running copies of each version on my Drobo, with the mods installed for that version.

I have Steam installed, and I have about 10 games on there. I have ZERO 'problems' with Steam, its just that given the option of having a game with ZERO DRM versus the light, non-controlling, DRM that is in any Steam game, I'd go for DRM free.

1: You don't even need steam installed to play the steam version of ksp. no internetz at your grandmothers is no problem. It is the exact same instal at both

2: You don't need steam active to play KSP in fact, very few indie releases with no steamworks integration require it active. Most "advanced users" know this :P

3: The inclination that a game available on steam immediately includes steams integrated drm is flawed, only about half of them do