Show off your Kethane Mining Designs!!

this is my new kethane truck. its a simple and compact package with all tricks and treats needed for missions far away from home. i plan sending it to duna to estabish an outpost there.

kethane_truck_1.jpg

everything deployed and working hard.

kethane_truck_2.jpg

Oh my... Those kethane bugs...

I just wanted to put my design here. Their close position is the result of an emergency RCS burn or they'd be on top of each other. Mechjeb precision at work...

jleAcFe.png

After Getting inspiration from this design: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/47232-Mosquito-Kethane-Drone?highlight=mosquitohttp:// I figured I'd make a drone that was an actual mosquito.

I'm glad you we're inspired haha :).

Despite how much I hate mosquitos, they do make sinister looking kethane drills huh. I like how you captured the hunched back type of thing.

I think you were using some older version or something, my game just crashes when I try to load it.

Could you briefly explain how you attached the fairings?

Don't know what to say about the crashing.. The fairings were shaped by just putting tanks in until they were the right length, and then I adjusted the diameter, then locked the shape. Then I attached them to the servo motors using cubic octagonal struts.

Edited by BahamutoD

On the launch pad

ZCeSZDK.jpg

And, via Mun and Minmus, on Duna

7p8Bsyx.png

Shortly after leaving the surface of Duna, it suffered catastrophic failure due to some idiot leaving the kethane converter on which somehow messed up everything.

Still, lesson learned...

started a kethane and mix base

sxsiYdV.png

right lander is a simple light driller(2x driller)

left lander is convertor and power distributor with large batteries

small rover with container is for making struts,pipes and some stuffs, also for driving around

megarover is for placing stuffs

in future i will place a central command center with habitats in the middle of all landers.

I've been way too busy with the Jool launch window to build much, but at the last second I decided to improve my kethane support system. This should be SSTO from Laythe or Duna (two ways), or lift ginormous amounts of refined fuel from, say, Bop. Also equipped with KAS for ground refueling, an independent scanner probe, and enough modularity to leave most of the fuel cached on orbit and go to ground to service a base. Oh, and just 125 parts once you detach the boosters required to get it off the ground on kerbin.

AOe37aF.png

KJjTOZT.png

This time, the inefficient high T/W booster engines to get out of deep wells like Laythe (at awful payload fractions) can be detached and left on orbit while exploiting low gravity moons for fuel, improving production efficiency through the use of orbital depots to perform major refuels. In other words, if you use it tiny moons I reckon you could probably lift and orange tank or more up to refuel stuff. :P

Rune. It doesn't do bad in looks either.

This is one is a little old, but it is one of my favorite creations. In fact, I think I might revisit this idea; there are several aspects that I don't like and think could really be improved. It was assembled with eight launches and docked together on the surface of Minmus.

2013-05-05_00006.jpg

2013-05-05_00009.jpg

im curious, how did you get the 'pipelines' in place?

Detachable wheels and landing systems. If you look closely at the picture above you can still see the attachment points for the wheels and the landing engines. Here's a mid-construction picture.

d302ee9d-6b8d-44ad-9247-ed910d48e8c3.jpg

I wanted to show off my Kethane Eagle Miner... I am a huge fan of Space 1999 and love the Wayland mod pack for this. I used the Eagle structure to mount two 4k Kethane Storage Tanks, a large Kethane Drill, the KethaneElectric Reactor, the Fuels Converter, Large Kethane Detector, and enough RocketMax Batteries to provide me over 35k Amps to power my operations. Hope you all like it.

TI7urPc.jpg

PtrsUMG.jpg

KYTq9Pe.jpg

I already posted this design here, but oh well.

This my heavy mobile kethane station. It's equipped with everything necessary to detect, mine, and convert kethane. It also has a decent fuel storage considering most of it are kethane tanks.

VQfZhzU.jpg

It has 4 FL-T800 fuel tanks, which is equivalent to 1,440 fuel, I believe. It also has two LLL rectangular kethane tanks for storage, which probably an unnecessary amount in retrospect, but oh well.

XR5DnTx.png

You can see the 4 small drills and solar panels. It doesn't store much fuel, but is a good mining rover if you have a large kethane/fuel depot that is immobile.

Small scale mining isn't time-economical, since you can just send another fuel tanker from Kerbin in less time than it takes to make multiple trips with a smaller mining ships. So my solution was to make mining kethane time-economical by using brute force mining.

This is my Heavy Kethane Miner. It carries 112000 kethane and was designed specifically to mine massive amounts of Kethane on Pol/Bop and transfer it to Laythe orbit to refuel ships there. It has 12 nuclear engines which provide enough thrust to travel to any planet in the Kerbol system. Although it can only land and takeoff from low gravity moons/planets like Pol, Bop, Gilly, Ike, Dres, etc... And quite frankly mining on the mun/minmus is a waste of time because Kerbin is so close.

kerbal4_zps692010d8.jpg

SVO-3 on mining on Minimus... 32,000 Kethane capacity and processing.

l9t6.jpg

From left to right. Mission Commander Kelmin Kermin, Pilot Herby Kermin, Flight Engineer Hadlie Kermin

gba8.jpg

what did you use to change the suit color

Small scale mining isn't time-economical, since you can just send another fuel tanker from Kerbin in less time than it takes to make multiple trips with a smaller mining ships. So my solution was to make mining kethane time-economical by using brute force mining.

This is my Heavy Kethane Miner. It carries 112000 kethane and was designed specifically to mine massive amounts of Kethane on Pol/Bop and transfer it to Laythe orbit to refuel ships there. It has 12 nuclear engines which provide enough thrust to travel to any planet in the Kerbol system. Although it can only land and takeoff from low gravity moons/planets like Pol, Bop, Gilly, Ike, Dres, etc... And quite frankly mining on the mun/minmus is a waste of time because Kerbin is so close.

kerbal4_zps692010d8.jpg

Minmus/Mun landing/mining is useful for testing to see if it can actually land though. After that, those moons are fairly useless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.