Why did we build it when we didn't use it???

Hello Community-Members,

new day, new Challenge!! :D

Every start I see the runway near the Space Center and think 'Hey why did they build it, because i never use it'

My Challenge is to land on the runway by using the C7-Parts. When it\'s too easy make one Orbit and land.

I want an Video of the SUCCESSFULLY landing

NO VERTICAL PARACHUTE LANDINGS

PARACHUTES TO MAKE YOUR AIRCRAFT SLOWER ARE ALLOWED

A lot of people use the runway right now. Normally in combination with the C7 flight pack.

In future editions the runway will be more useful, have proper markings, and possibly have horizontal take off options.

My completely uneducated guess is after .12 and the moon that hopefully the runway and horizontal take off (and 'pick-a-pod') will be started for .13

I can\'t wait for runways on the moon

My immediate reaction to that was *cool idea* but then it struck me, what use would a runway be on a mune without an atmosphere ? 8)

It would have to be VTOL, but you could use RCS as the gravity should be much lower.

I want one of the

from UFO.

My immediate reaction to that was *cool idea* but then it struck me, what use would a runway be on a mune without an atmosphere ? 8)

Well, because there\'s no atmosphere on the moon, you could accelerate horizontally directly to orbital velocities, assuming you have enough thrust/a long enough runway. Based on my understanding of the Oberth effect, a horizontal takeoff might actually be the most efficient way to leave the Mün\'s surface?

(On a mostly-unrelated note, you\'ll be able to do things like enter a lünar(?) orbit that just barely misses the surface. That should be fun.)

On a mostly-unrelated note, you\'ll be able to do things like enter a lünar(?) orbit that just barely misses the surface. That should be fun.

Oh, oh! There absolutely MUST be a rock arch on the moon. Challenge: Orbit through the rock arch!

I\'m so going to pester Harvester with this idea. ;P

If we had shock absorbing landing gear yes, most likely. With the current rigid ones I\'m afraid that most moon landing would result in a bounce putting you back into space.

Needs a runway made of a pile of dust and a snow plough for landing gear.

Oh, oh! There absolutely MUST be a rock arch on the moon. Challenge: Orbit through the rock arch!

I\'m so going to pester Harvester with this idea. ;P

…oh my goodness. 8)

If there isn\'t, it will certainly call for a custom 'giant lunar arch' part which must be landed on the moon in some kind of ungodly megarocket and THEN orbited through…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.