SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

It's called Lander One Beta, because I didn't change it to something exciting before the run.

Actually worked first time out of the box, to my amazement.

Oooh. I've been wanting to do a similar design for ages, but my design backlog is nuts. Fantastic Job! ...so simple.

It's called Lander One Beta, because I didn't change it to something exciting before the run.

Actually worked first time out of the box, to my amazement.

I like it - Definitely downloaded to try out, but re-docking looks like it might be a bit scary... it's a tight fit in there!

You're stranded Altop... STRANDED!!

Never leave a Kerbal behind, KissSh0t! - Not that I can talk, my K-Drive test resulted in the test pilot being stranded in the vicinity of Eeloo, but I'd take that rescue mission over one on Eve any day! :sticktongue:

Edited by The14th

:D Here's my one SSTO. It pretty :3

Ptarmigan SSTO

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Easy to fly, easy to land, and good looking to the eyes. This model is quite the miracle in the eyes of the Kerbals flying it xD I loved making this ship and I hope you love flying it. This craft is extremely good at what is is designed for. It can easily get to orbit and holds strong with few tweaks at physics warp 4. The burning effect looks pretty sick too :)

Ptarmigan SSTO

I like it - Definitely downloaded to try out, but re-docking looks like it might be a bit scary... it's a tight fit in there!

It is, but I'm afraid I cheat and Mechjeb does it.

Thanks - it's a design I've been trying to make work for ages. Only recently has my skill level sort of caught up with my ambition. :D

I neglected to mention that it's best to switch control to the teeny tiny control pod in the middle before take off or it gets a bit wobbly :D

I am starting to design a new SSTO that will use Two Kraken Drives.... I have no idea if this will work or not..

I'm guessing I'm going to need lots of Gyro's to keep it in control *__*

Also, I put batteries in the nose, and positioned one so the green light sticks out the top so when it is flying in the Dark the green light will be visible on the nose xD

If I get this SSTO to work, I will share it.

I would love to see more SSTO builders experimenting with Kraken Drives.... they are so darn fun.... Seriously... They even have failures xD

Every time you turn it on, it's like.... is this going to work or is it going to explode xDDDDDDDDDDD

tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

Kraken Drive Test~

Just a short little video showing both Kraken Drives running on this new SSTO build.. I was very surprised by how stable they are, they haven't exploded once yet.

yet xD

This SSTO is looking promising *__*

I designed this space plane to carry cargo, While this version is only capable of carrying 9t into orbit, I haven't worked out how i'm going to do the cargo bay doors.

Also everything is stock except for the landing gear.

screenshot78.png

Bottom View

screenshot79-1.png

screenshot82-1.png

I am starting to design a new SSTO that will use Two Kraken Drives.... I have no idea if this will work or not..

I'm guessing I'm going to need lots of Gyro's to keep it in control *__*

Also, I put batteries in the nose, and positioned one so the green light sticks out the top so when it is flying in the Dark the green light will be visible on the nose xD

If I get this SSTO to work, I will share it.

I would love to see more SSTO builders experimenting with Kraken Drives.... they are so darn fun.... Seriously... They even have failures xD

Every time you turn it on, it's like.... is this going to work or is it going to explode xDDDDDDDDDDD

https://31.media.tumblr.com/8d70996b2ff88e7850a77eb746562578/tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/42ecc65a07e7c1b31b4e74936f4c3c7e/tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/bcee50ffc14e188cbe178106243135fd/tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/151cee572c76e12f9fade7f1a6746725/tumblr_n2plnzUsOL1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

The-X-17-563 an Sci-Fi VTOL SSTO with K-Drive

33vdhew.jpg

With K-Drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So going to try it out ( â—“â—¡â—â€)

*edit*

I loaded up you're craft and it has no action groups.

: T

*editedit*

Made action groups and all is good.

It's a very nice craft... I like how you did that scales type thing on the belly.

I killed it by flying into the vab.

Edited by KissSh0t
I regret nothing.

I've been thinking small again.

Here is a Delta-wing design with RAPIER power.

1hUiCJN.png

This design has no intake abuse. Just the two that are visible.

Tujp7WT.png

It still has plenty of maneuvering DV in orbit.

NYTzAsx.png

Then my 'tiny' OCD kicked in and things took a turn towards the absurd.

0uYjuMn.png

"Just another day at work."

PPJy4JL.png

1 million meter orbit.

bXjrQ09.png

With K-Drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So going to try it out ( â—“â—¡â—â€)

*edit*

I loaded up you're craft and it has no action groups.

: T

*editedit*

Made action groups and all is good.

It's a very nice craft... I like how you did that scales type thing on the belly.

I killed it by flying into the vab.

Yeah that's about, I noticed. I think the action groups didn't load sometimes because of the many small parts.

It was configured:

- Stage (spacebar): extend the back antennas + activate the light + shutdown Nuclear + shutdown TurboJet's

- 1 : toggle TurboJet's

- 2 : toggle Nuclear

- 3 : toggle BasicJet's

- 9 : K-Drive

I've been thinking small again.

Here is a Delta-wing design with RAPIER power.

I like the lines on that, very nice. If you release it I'd love to try it out. I remain a RAPIER sceptic, but I'm always looking for the design that will change my mind (haven't found one yet!)

Then my 'tiny' OCD kicked in and things took a turn towards the absurd.

"Just another day at work."

OK, I have got to re-create that from your screenshots now! :D

I have a daredevil kerbal (His name is Danger, how could he not be?) who would look awesome riding that around.

Yeah that's about, I noticed. I think the action groups didn't load sometimes because of the many small parts.

It was configured:

- Stage (spacebar): extend the back antennas + activate the light + shutdown Nuclear + shutdown TurboJet's

- 1 : toggle TurboJet's

- 2 : toggle Nuclear

- 3 : toggle BasicJet's

- 9 : K-Drive

It's really strange.. when I loaded the craft it had no Action Groups.. I really did have to make my own.

very strange.

My accidental SSTO was able to eventually make it to Duna.

7DoR8

I say accidental, because I was just playing around with wing and body designs, and found that this thing is capable of proper orbit with tons of fuel left. I eventually pimped it out with some extra intake spam for some performance(I know, I know, I'm a cheater), and after refuelling at LKO, I was able to insert myself into Duna's atmosphere.

7DkPL

After getting nice and straight on what I thought was a smooth canyon bottom, I made my final descent, using up almost all of my oxidizer trying to pop myself over too-high hills.

7Dn22

I Eventually found a somewhat smooth patch, but unfortunately, soon after touching down, the terrain pitched left, and threw my left wing into the dirt, which broke it off, and spun me out of control, resulting in a spectacularily slow demolition.

My new version has emergency chutes on it, and I'm thinking installing Real Chutes to emulate proper drag chutes for landing.

SSTO Type 32 K-Drive Experimental Mk1

First flight, made orbit, met up with an already in orbit SSTO, was planing on docking with it and taking some of it's fuel into Type 32.. but Raven R3 doesn't have a docking port : T

So... I just took some screenshots of the two next to each other.

Also... look who the pilot is!! Scott Kerman!!

I promise I will not kill Scott (´_ã‚Âï½€)

*edit*

Recorded a short video of the Kraken Drives during their first orbital test.... They Work~!~! No explosions, no vibrations... So Cool~

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2tcrivqCe1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t
Adding Video

Dude, how do you land that thing without ripping the back end off?!

By landing flat and not landing on the back end, It has landing wheels... xD

Check out the first screenshot, I USED NO OXIDIZER TO GET INTO ORBIT!! and also to rendezvous with my space station!!! I did the whole thing using Kraken Drive!!

This craft has completed 3 sorties now... really starting to like this SSTO, I brought up two solar surfer chairs to my SSTO space station, I want those two kerbals back so I can have them as pilots. with these little chairs they can de-orbit and then I can retrieve them... Then kill the space station and put up a better one.

*edit*

Here is the craft file for anyone wanting to try this ssto.

http://www./download/nc6yiadmb0pknew/SSTO_Type_32_K-Drive_Experimental_Mk2.rar

Kraken Drive is activated with action group (9)

Action group (1) is air intakes + turbojets, Action group (2) is the basic jet engines, action group (3) is the nuclear rocket, action group (4) is the solar panels... and then some more I forget.

Check the action groups before flying.

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o1_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o2_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o3_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o4_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o5_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o6_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o7_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o8_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o9_1280.png

tumblr_n2uua4zEUj1r2k180o10_1280.png

Edited by KissSh0t
adding craft file.

... really starting to like this SSTO, I brought up two solar surfer chairs to my SSTO space station, I want those two kerbals back so I can have them as pilots. with these little chairs they can de-orbit and then I can retried them...

I love it! So what you're saying is that you sent up a highly advanced, super sophisticated space plane using an experimental, top-secret new drive system... to deliver two chairs that your station crew can strap themselves into for an unprotected re-entry! :D That's the most Kerbal thing I've read all week! :sticktongue: Good job they don't seem to mind! :cool:

Anyway good job - it's been interesting watching the progress of this design taking shape!

The D2K is my primary station resupply vehicle, able to deliver three kerbals to a space station in LKO, as well as a not insignificant amount of fuel. Un-refuelled, it's able to fly by the moon, and orbit Minmus. For landing, the D2K uses two parachutes in addition to its engines.

At under 40 parts, even my potato of a laptop can run it without a problem.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Get the .craft here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lw46hql3zzgcylj/R3JFjHxXf0

Action groups are as follows: (1) switch RAPIER mode, (2) toggle solar panels, (3-7) open/close pairs of intakes, (8) open/close all intakes.

Throttle back at 29-30km. Keep air-hogging to 40 km before switching modes. Other than that, it flies just like any other air-hogging rocket. You should be 45 degrees around 8 km. From there on, tilt over and try to gain as much horizontal speed as possible while keeping your vertical velocity between 125 and 250 m/s. The most efficient altitude for gaining speed is generally around 20-28km. Any higher and the D2K flames out, any lower and there's too much drag.

Downloadable version has the Kn-2 RCS removed and replaced with KW, at a small cost to the final delta-v. If you have the mod, feel free to add them back in.

Mods required: Mechjeb, ALCOR, KW Rocketry. FAR compatible.

I love it! So what you're saying is that you sent up a highly advanced, super sophisticated space plane using an experimental, top-secret new drive system... to deliver two chairs that your station crew can strap themselves into for an unprotected re-entry! :D That's the most Kerbal thing I've read all week! :sticktongue: Good job they don't seem to mind! :cool:

Anyway good job - it's been interesting watching the progress of this design taking shape!

Wellllllllllllll.. I tried by having one hang onto the ladder during re-entry... but that ended badly ( â—‰ - â—‰ )

It's been an interesting craft to build... learned quite a lot while building this one.