SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Long time I don't post here. Well, I can report I finally have a SSTO that can (barely) earn the sought after "Big Red To Orbit" price for R-SUV. The Nodachi is almost ready for public consumption:

1IR3abG.png

ePmFtUb.png

The big red, BTW is suspended in a nifty payload adaptor that grabs it from both sides and sets the payload's maximum length without tail-strike hazard, itself supported by three ports which is going to make reloading and payload building very simple once I figure out some, shall we say, minor exploding issues. Things hang lower on the runway under weight ^^'

Rune. Coming Soon* to the R-SUV catalogue.

Edited by Rune

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks to PorkJet's Mk2 Spaceplane Plus parts, this thing is fun. It isn't perfect by far, but it is useable at this moment. Just delivered 4 tons to orbit. Fully reusable.

((edit)) I have succesfully delivered 5.5 tons to LKO. Still testing and minor tweaks. Still don't know theoretical maximum yet, either. :)

Edited by mellojoe

My mid-career SSTO. So far, it has just been used to pop mapping satellites and suchlike into LKO, but I want to have a play around with using it to launch some lightweight beamed power plasma engine-driven probes at some stage. That'll have to wait a while, as I'm not playing very much at the moment - my degree means a heck of a lot more to me than little spaceships.

gfPtNlv.jpg

[TABLE=width: 800]

[TR]

[TD]TranStar's newest shuttle, the HSOC-105 Starling, took its maiden orbital flight. The pilots were tasked to finally decommission IPEV Venture, returned to Kerbin and left in its parking orbit two weeks ago.

screenshot943.png

After waking the dormant ship's systems and transferring any useful equipment, Bill and Richford set Venture's final course and returned to the shuttle to follow.

screenshot952.png

While Bill maintained the shuttle's relative position as best he could with engines and airbrakes, Richford captured images of Venture's final flight.

screenshot960.png

With its primary mission completed, the Starling shuttle turns skyward to make the sub-orbital hop toward home.

screenshot979.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Since we're showing off LKO Orange tank lifters (Rune and Overfloater your builds are awesome as usual), I'll share mine. I've been low-effort tinkering with it for a long time, and it is still a total basket-case that needs more lift, but it should end up looking roughly the same after a long refinement period.

zrsCpkH.png

Cargo delivery is "pooper" style (technical term).

rxU79ly.png

I still haven't decided how I want to wrap things up at the rear end.

5RgNPuQ.png

Tail strikes are a problem. I could fix it with more prominent gear, but I've really taken a liking to burying them in the "skin" for a more aerodynamic appearance.

v0v Still very much a work in progress.

Since we're showing off LKO Orange tank lifters (Rune and Overfloater your builds are awesome as usual), I'll share mine. I've been low-effort tinkering with it for a long time, and it is still a total basket-case that needs more lift, but it should end up looking roughly the same after a long refinement period.

http://i.imgur.com/zrsCpkH.png

Cargo delivery is "pooper" style (technical term).

http://i.imgur.com/rxU79ly.png

I still haven't decided how I want to wrap things up at the rear end.

http://i.imgur.com/5RgNPuQ.png

Tail strikes are a problem. I could fix it with more prominent gear, but I've really taken a liking to burying them in the "skin" for a more aerodynamic appearance.

v0v Still very much a work in progress.

Those intakes are awesome! I might try that with large reaction wheels. If you need more lift then bury some tweaked off winglet stacks into those side fuel tanks. I'm guessing that's where you CoM will be.

Can you tell I've been having fun with Porkjet's Spaceplane Plus parts pack? These parts are beyond beautiful.

SSTO cargo spaceplane. I forgot to take a shot with the cargo-bay doors open, but the entire length of the fuselage opens up for cargo.

4pgR2p5.jpg

Again, its mostly Porkjet's Spaceplane Plus Mk2 parts, but also includes B9's compound RCS thrusters as well as some misc lights.

Also, I have used Infernal Robotics to enhance the landing gear:

Here is the front wheel extended for take-off.

j39RsU6.jpg

And here is rear wheels extended for landing.

ljH9PT8.jpg

By adjusting the length of landing gear, I make take-off easy by angling the entire plane upward on the runway. And for landings, making the rear taller than the front means I can adjust the flare at landing and still gently touch the rear gear down. Slight tapping of the breaks brings the nose down, and then the angle at landing keeps me on the ground even over bumpy terrain. Much more stable platforms both in take-off and landing, and all it takes is a simple extending pylon.

PS: I've also put an extending pylon on the docking port on the bottom, just to ensure enough clearance if/when docking in space.

SSTO Shuttle Mk5

This is just an update of the original SSTO Shuttle Mk1, I will be updating the first post of this thread with this version.

It flies pretty much the same as the original, although this version is a bit more balanced, a little easier to take off with and is structurally stronger than the original.

If used correctly you can fly to other planets with this SSTO.

Craft File » http://www./download/exxdvwsa48s4p5n/SSTO_Shuttle_Mk5.rar

tumblr_n4s1pcQ0301r2k180o1_1280.png

tumblr_n4s1pcQ0301r2k180o2_1280.png

tumblr_n4s1pcQ0301r2k180o3_1280.png

tumblr_n4s1pcQ0301r2k180o4_1280.png

tumblr_n4s1pcQ0301r2k180o5_1280.png

tumblr_n4s1pcQ0301r2k180o6_1280.png

tumblr_n4s1pcQ0301r2k180o7_1280.png

This is my X-Wing replica working SSTO. It is stock except for using infernal robotics to operate the wing "flaps" :)

Easily goes to orbit although the ~2k vacuum deltaV (if refueled) is a bit on the low side. Might look at some sort of Star-Wars lookalike fuel ring sometime, since the TWR with 4 rapiers in rocket mode is ridiculous.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I just did a redesign of my latest SSTO to make it lighter and come up with increased range. On the first test launch it reached LKO with almost 2k of delta V left, but it lacks the excellent flight capabilities of the original design. However, when not attempting fancy maneuvers it flies very stable. I hope to get rid off at least two intakes in the next design stage to reduce drag during orbital flight and get more atmosphere speed and better acceleration. Maybe it even works to lose one jet engine and replace the aerospike for 2 smaller thrusters.

Regardless of the points i want to change on the next design, i am really satisfied with the looks of this craft. I especially like the way, the inline clamp-o-tron integrates into the form. I will experiment further with that design.

l2HV8m5.png

The reduced wing span feels much more elegant in my opinion.

XN9zIAl.png

And a mood shot i could not resist to take.

fbp8xuM.png

And äh next time i will add some RCS thrusters, so the RCS tanks would have actual use...

I hope you like it.

[edit]: I forgot to say, all stock parts, no part clipping for those who are interested

Edited by Frank_G

The SSI Proton T (Type-3 Shuttlecraft)

3 Kerbals from a 120km orbiting target and back again without refueling (possibly capable of KSC-Minmus round trips too if you fly it right)

http://imgur.com/a/toqY5

This is an excellent looking and compact design. I love the way you integrated those cockpits on the side. Well done!