SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Handles like a pig on the runway and the lander needs to come down at a really shallow angle to stick the landing but it works.

Oh, and it's not the prettiest...

There may have been quicksaves. :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqeqolpq29w9gdf/Duna%20XP%201%20NMJ.craft

1 - Outer jets

2 - Inner jets

3 - Outer rocket moters

4 - Nukes

5 - Lander jets

9 - Undock transfer vehicle

0 - chutes

(If you choose to fly it, transfer fuel into the front tanks before re-entry. It has five hundred and something parts. I think.

Edited by Fellow314

Quite an interesting design there, I got hung up trying to make an SSTO using the 3 Kerbal capsule and saw this. Ended up designing this wee guy, my first working spaceplane! -

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Quite an interesting design there, I got hung up trying to make an SSTO using the 3 Kerbal capsule and saw this. Ended up designing this wee guy, my first working spaceplane! -

http://imgur.com/a/C38ep

Cool design man! I love simple crafts. Have u tried putting nukes on your ssto?

The way u did it is OPTIMAL(except for the foremost pod, its too heavy), but the reason I didn't use the lander cans is because of kerbal comfort. Sitting down facing the floor isn't ideal when flying in a 1G environment!

The other 3 kerbal pods weigh a ridiculous amount, and the heavier the payload, the more engines = the more fuel = the more intakes = the larger and heavier the craft.

I recently built and launched a 12 kerbal station using my SSTO booster configuration with only 4 jet engines and radial rockets (check out my heavy lift ssto page, I've lifted 180 tons with my booster design using an ssto). I could launch a 400 kerbal ssto if I wanted to, the problem is lag.

Edited by TeeGee

Have you considered using the airplane cockpits? The design looks good, but your two back pods could eaisly be replaced with the inline-cockpit to sort of smooth things out. I kind of like the weird bulbous front end, but in case you were looking for a different solution, the in-line cockpit works great for these types of things. I've even used 3 inline cockpits, and put a docking port on the front, just like this layout.

I made a new cargo ship.

I Really needed a prettier ride for Laythe;

had some cool new trucks to get there;

and most importantly need to make a less-crappy video about Laythe.

Astroliner VII:

KR3cc9X.jpg

It is more powerful then the Astroliner-V, flies better, lands better, looks better...

just need to properly adjust the amount of plane-fuel relative to the rocket-mix.

On the 1st fully loaded flight to orbit it had way too much plane-fuel left. Therefore the trans-planetary flight was postponed and ship returned - to fill up more oxidizer.

Have you considered using the airplane cockpits? The design looks good, but your two back pods could eaisly be replaced with the inline-cockpit to sort of smooth things out. I kind of like the weird bulbous front end, but in case you were looking for a different solution, the in-line cockpit works great for these types of things. I've even used 3 inline cockpits, and put a docking port on the front, just like this layout.

Oh yeah I know, but they weigh more. I already did that with this design in an earlier craft:

C4bOTsY.png

I was thinking about just adding another cockpit, but the extra weight wasn't worth it, it's already hauling a LV-N which is pretty darn heavy to begin with.

If you want to see my better looking ssto's, here's a few:

lc0Ol4A.png (outdated, sorry)

r83pMVz.png

8kZ9frx.png

7J1KVam.png

I made these just to look good, use non-clipped parts (except that last one), and look plausible and functional.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I made a new cargo ship.

Astroliner VII:

http://i.imgur.com/KR3cc9X.jpg

It is more powerful then the Astroliner-V, flies better, lands better, looks better...

just need to properly adjust the amount of plane-fuel relative to the rocket-mix.

On the 1st fully loaded flight to orbit it had way too much plane-fuel left. Therefore the trans-planetary flight was postponed and ship returned - to fill up more oxidizer.

She's a BEAUTY!! What's the payload weight and kerbal crew number?

For some reason, she looks familiar...... =D

Edited by TeeGee

Cool design man! I love simple crafts. Have u tried putting nukes on your ssto?

The way u did it is OPTIMAL(except for the foremost pod, its too heavy), but the reason I didn't use the lander cans is because of kerbal comfort. Sitting down facing the floor isn't ideal when flying in a 1G environment!

The other 3 kerbal pods weigh a ridiculous amount, and the heavier the payload, the more engines = the more fuel = the more intakes = the larger and heavier the craft.

I recently built and launched a 12 kerbal station using my SSTO booster configuration with only 4 jet engines and radial rockets (check out my heavy lift ssto page, I've lifted 180 tons with my booster design using an ssto). I could launch a 400 kerbal ssto if I wanted to, the problem is lag.

I tried it with a nuke before, but it just wasn't worth the weight especially when you can fly the turbo up to 40km ;). 180 ton SSTO lifter? Damn son, damn. I like the tri-coupled plane you got there, she's a beauty.

EDIT: I should mention I'm only using that wee thing as a ferry up to my space station. Getting an ssto out of Kerbin SOI is beyond me at the moment.

I made a new cargo ship.

Astroliner VII:

http://i.imgur.com/KR3cc9X.jpg

***** the bed! What's the part count on that beast?

I rebuilt that craft since I deleted it from my save file:

kQ0SEas.png

71Peueu.png

zvr8ypM.png

gPtgPS2.png

TYqhfiY.png

I think she looks better now, and flies very well also... but still not as high performing as my other craft. It's funny how beautiful craft are more fun to fly then high performing uglier ships..

Here is the latest pretty SSTO i came up with.

7FXY90Z.png

hTp7kqh.png

It uses the Stock Rebalancing mod, meaning that the structural parts have fuel in them. I find that this gives me the ability to make craft that are both functional and good-looking without forcing me to use excessive part clipping or other shenanigans.

Here is an updated visually more streamlined SSTO, based on my older designs. It reached 120 km circular orbit with 1.4k of delta V left.

I seriously have to tweak its flight abilities. It moves straight and smooth up to 10.000 m, then has serious problems with keeping its nose up as speed increases, but i was able to fight it into orbit.

IYhcauw.png

RmZ9gRX.png

DJNNGdq.png

However i had to eject the cockpits and land em on parachutes as the plane wasn´t able to hold a stable flight pattern during re-entry and was ripped apart by Ferram aerospace´s new terminal velocity functionality. "Landing" looked like this...

LAe6zbx.png

Back to the drawing board then.

Edited by Frank_G

This is my second VTOL SSTO, it weights 50tons now, plenty of fuel, it is very stable at any height and I'd say it is fairly maneuverable for its weight, I'm still working on a landing system for low gravity/no atmosphere bodies.

hHNfe2P.png

ebKUC01.png

TjDLXHv.png

Here's an ultra-light SSTO I just made. It uses 4 intakes and 1 turbojet to reach an apoapsis of 100km, then circularizes using 2 ions. It carries 1 kerbal, and 1-2 of every science instrument. I launched it, and got to a 130km x 130km orbit, with 3.5km/s of delta-v to spare. I might take it to Jool. The transfer burn would be 30 minutes, but hey. I'm loving the new, actually useful ions.

IFrRCQs.png

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a way to make it land and take off more reliably without adding too much weight.

Started new career game and discovered that I can make unexpectedly simple SSTO right away.

490db83f6ef7.png

91b7e4d3aeb1.png

e8be23cea5fa.png

It breaks at landing, but pod survives. (It have enough fuel to soft land, but topples over anyway.)

It could be fixed by realigning tanks to make pancake rocket :3