SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I made an interstellar SSTO and took a bunch of screenshots. Check out my Reddit post for more info and pictures, but here's a few pictures and the download link.

Reddit page link: http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/25axj5/ssto_spaceplane_trip_from_kerbin_to_duna_and_back/

Spaceport download link: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/crouching-tiger-iv-5/

c24c9#5

c24c9#6

c24c9#18

Single stage to anywhere, using KSPI and B9 (and FAR, of course). Capacity of four kerbals (pilot and co-pilot plus two) and whatever you can fit in the bay - you run out of room before hitting the limit on lift capacity.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Note that the plane in the last shot looks slightly different to the others - it was modified after it was discovered in *ahem* simulations, that the original plane was unlandable due to an oversight regarding the control groupings and a lack of airbrakes. Even with the changes, it's utterly terrifying to land - the engines take an age to spool down, even from 10% (I only put the throttle higher when on other bodies, or during ascent to orbit), and it just won't slow down - it'll happily glide along at just shy of 200m/s for ages. As such, to land somewhere specific you have to line everything up about 10km out, then cut the thrust and come in low, just gliding along, to bleed off the speed - and then that leaves the fun of timing pitching up and deploying the air brakes correctly - too early and she stalls, and too late, she'll slam into the ground and kill the four crew.

Here is one of my SSTO's. The Phendrana 6-C, it belongs in the go big or go home category. (at least, I think it might :P)

She hauls herself into orbit with fuel to spare, although I need to get rid of some oxidizer in the future. But although she can do this, I intended to use it as a heavy cargo SSTO (aka orange tank), but I'm not sure how I'm ever going to manage this, I love the design though. Any tips? (I use all stock, intake stacking etc. is a no-go)

With Phendrana 6-B I managed to get a spacerock down :) (with orbital refueling). For capturing the rock a small klaw-tug was brought up to snag the rock and put it in the back. She flew surprisingly well with that in the trunk.

ei0xVY9.jpg

This one used RAPIERS. I'm not too sure about those anymore compared to other engine combo's. Opinions? :huh:

This one used RAPIERS. I'm not too sure about those anymore compared to other engine combo's. Opinions? :huh:

RAPIERs actually need less air at higher altitude and don't become dead weight when air runs out, so if rocket TWR is required, they are the way to go. If high intake air efficiency is needed, they are also the way to go. Now, they have poor jet TWR compared to turbojets so if that is something you need, then avoid them. RAPIERs are better for more brute force SSTOs whereas turbojet-rocket combos reward more patient, atmo-milking flight profiles.

@parameciumkid

I'd advise ditching the parachutes. The challenge does not require return and at 0.3 tons per piece (due to KSPs poor drag handling), that weight adds up fast.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Snip!

Thanks for the input! I replaced all jets and normal rocket engines (except the nerva's) with RAPIERS and now it was able to get an orange tank to orbit :) And on an empty shakedown run I got it into orbit with 3000 dV remaining (so I orbited the Mun and went back), indicating that it can go places.

q8e2AO2.jpg

Somebody's been playing Metroid.

Hehe, yes! Love the series and it gives good inspiration for spacey names :P

Edited by Remkeau

Thanks for the input! I replaced all jets and normal rocket engines (except the nerva's) with RAPIERS and now it was able to get an orange tank to orbit :) And on an empty shakedown run I got it into orbit with 3000 dV remaining (so I orbited the Mun and went back), indicating that it can go places.

You're very welcome! I have found a really really good combo is to use a mix of turbojets and RAPIERs similar to a turbojet LV30/aerospike combo. Also, air hogging with RAPIERs can allow you to break the mythical 35km drag wall with half the intakes it takes for turbojets.

@parameciumkid

I'd advise ditching the parachutes.

But I want to recover them afterward!

That's why I claimed it was "Hardcore Mode". I try to make everything reusable if I can because I hate wasting perfectly good rockets, even if they are free and imaginary.

Because I thought this challenge was fun and cool. "An Affordable Space Program: making the reusable spacecraft pay off"

This is what I did with my biggest SSTO spaceplane.

4 refuels, no recovering and relaunching of the craft other than a pilot error on my part that crashed it. I placed a 186 ton station into a 100km x 100km orbit with 4 modules attached to it. Lots of equipment designed specifically to load and refuel this craft.

Next job for the SP-406 is to go through a refit in the design, and see if we can send it to Jool. It has the d/v to do it when no cargo is on board. Now to remove a large amount of the cargo space and set it up for a four year trip to Jool and back with a lander.

Could someone please explain why all my engines explode upon reaching 1400m/s (on a spaceplane)?

I use B9, Interstellar and FAR (only a few of the mods, but I think its one of them)

I even tried using the Precoolers from B9, but it doesnt work...

Interstellar modifies Turbofans, Rapiers, and B9 engines to use Saber engine heating profile. The heating is correlated to orbital speed. It starts to kick in around 800m/s, and 1400m/s is about maximum for any air breathing engine. You can switch to rocket engines, or adjust ascent profile so you are higher in the atmosphere by the time you hit ~1400m/s orbital velocity. Precoolers work, but they won't completely eliminate overheating unless you have multiple precoolers per engine.

Another way is delete the rapier.cfg file in Interstellar folder to restore stock turbofan and rapiers to stock heating profile. B9 engines will still work as configured by Interstellar.

My "Cleopatra" can't go to Duna... but it can take a Rockomax to Munar orbit...

M9EXsT0.png

Well... a munar orbit. I'll mark it down to inefficient piloting.

jXx9O75.png

It also has 2 nukes clipped inside the SAS units, and the landing gears are for landing back on Kerbin (Which I have not yet perfected).

Edited by CakeNinjaProductions

Because I thought this challenge was fun and cool. "An Affordable Space Program: making the reusable spacecraft pay off"

This is what I did with my biggest SSTO spaceplane.

http://imgur.com/a/sxaFl

4 refuels, no recovering and relaunching of the craft other than a pilot error on my part that crashed it. I placed a 186 ton station into a 100km x 100km orbit with 4 modules attached to it. Lots of equipment designed specifically to load and refuel this craft.

Next job for the SP-406 is to go through a refit in the design, and see if we can send it to Jool. It has the d/v to do it when no cargo is on board. Now to remove a large amount of the cargo space and set it up for a four year trip to Jool and back with a lander.

AMAZING!!! 186 ton winged ssto FTW!