SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Wow, I own a first edition of that source book. I weep for MW:O. Coulda, shoulda woulda, but alas, neva will be.

I own every FASA Battletech/Aerotech/Citytech box, and source book. All of my Battletech stuff takes up half of a 12x10 shed outside. Aerotech was my first boxset I ever bought of the Battletech universe. And I don't even like to think about MW:O. All I say is bring back Multiplayer Battletech : 3025!

Flying-wing cargo lifter SSTO, designed as a contestant to HOC's next series. It can to lower its cargo bay to let rovers drive inside it and dock with the docking ring. Didn't make the submission as I didn't solve its stability issue before HOC's submission deadline.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/goduranus/A.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/goduranus/B.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/goduranus/C.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/goduranus/E.jpg

Last photo has it dropping paratroops

Wow, I felt in love with that ship! Is that stock and parts-clipping free? Could it fly well with FAR mod installed?

Edited by FennexFox

Been a while since I last saw a VTOLSSTO on this thread, so this thing will have to do for the time being.

jliuT1M.png

t7C7Hqo.png

CSZM9gd.png

It hit a snag on the way to the runway after the first orbital flight, somehow hitting the launchpad whilst 2km in the air and loseing the tailplane. Thanks to the VTOL engines and Jeb being a badass pilot it managed to land safely though.

k3yGBPX.png

mwqtCbf.png

Edited by SofusRud

After some downtime to synchronize the effort to upgrade their systems, the KSC and TranStar are back in action!

KSC initiated the re-launch of the space program with the launch and deployment of Oracle Station, followed by the first inter-orbit flight test of TranStar's new High-Speed Orbital Courier (HSOC) 110 Gyrfalcon shuttle.

9xcgA76.png

Gyrfalcon is designed to accommodate transfer of crew and supplies from Kerbin to the station, and (nearly) all points beyond, thanks to its newly-designed Everlight fuel converter. After a quick turn about the Mün, Gyrfalcon's next waypoint assignment was to rendezvous with Oracle to drop off crewmembers intended to staff the planned Duna research mission.

eoQiOVp.png

KUxWyqA.png

Upon arrival, the excursion crew transferred to the station, there to begin their daily routine of testing and maintenance of the Cardinal II habitat lander, in preparation for arrival of the drive section that will take it to Duna.HVgaogS.png

w8ajsjr.png

Having delivered the crew, Gyrfalcon departed for its final waypoint: the KSC itself, there to prove its agility and rapid return capabilities.

o7EnkSt.png

The plotted re-entry trajectory was intentionally steep, but left little margin for error. Should the flight systems fail, the flight crew were essentially doomed.

qwBIA8D.png

Fortunately, Gyrfalcon was designed well, and had no troubles whatsoever settling smoothly and quickly into its vertical flight mode from more than twice the speed of sound. The sonic booms swam over the facility, cracking a few windows as it passed. In the tower, a tracking technician swore fluently when his hot koffee vibrated off of his konsole and into his lap.

mB6ziHr.png

Still moving at more than 200m/s, Gyrfalcon's crew watched out the windows as the KSC seemed to drift lazily by.

5TQeccg.png

Finally, it was time to initiate final approach, and the pilot deployed the air brakes as he brought Gyrfalcon around tightly but smoothly toward the runway, balancing engine power skillfully to keep the bird dropping almost sedately downward to the tarmac.

U4rfJUo.png

As a final flourish, Winston Kerman brought Gyrfalcon to a perfect standstill in mid-air, hovering in place to give the press an awe-inspiring photo opportunity before bringing it in to alight gently on the runway, to the raucous applause of all watching the proceedings.

vfpAPVf.png

With the successful completion of the newest shuttle tests, final build begins on TranStar's White Knight interplanetary drive section.

I must say, that mod produces some hot planes x-D

Not bad! I'm glad i'm not the only one who's into this :) And looks like you beat me at part count.

You should see this one! over 200 tonnes 700+ parts. Crazy lag :(

9Ci2jfu.png

My original had a stock cargo bay double door, but the updates broke them, so i have to stick with the cargo going out the back

M9DBhvE.png

3PY6nVV.png

Edited by shufflermuffler

My original had a stock cargo bay double door, but the updates broke them, so i have to stick with the cargo going out the back

Good plane! I see 4 atomic motors - no more than needed! And that wing shape... looks a bit familiar xD

Yeah, that .22 update ruined it. They made all the landing legs flimsy and useless (I switched to i-beams), and the medium legs were changed.

And I was hoping i could play with those Falcon planes someday when there will be a 64-bit version. Well fluck that :(

And I was hoping i could play with those Falcon planes someday when there will be a 64-bit version. Well fluck that :(

With his planes, i used game engine to slow the game clock to half speed, It ran pretty well but probably took me half an hour to get the falcon in orbit XD

They fly ok, but it's the elaborate contraptions like the bay doors, tilting cokpit, and the lowering mechanism that don't work anymore. All because of the landing legs :-(

On a different note...

6LuztTA.jpg

I think I'm getting somewhere! My experimental non air-hogging* space plane reached orbit and returned MUHAHAHAHA }:^3

tY1veXU.jpg

*has no intakes

Edited by Overfloater
What the flock, I can't write the word "cocpit" properly? idiotic censorship

They fly ok, but it's the elaborate contraptions like the bay doors, tilting cokpit, and the lowering mechanism that don't work anymore. All because of the landing legs :-(

On a different note...

http://i.imgur.com/6LuztTA.jpg

I think I'm getting somewhere! My experimental non air-hogging* space plane reached orbit and returned MUHAHAHAHA }:^3

http://i.imgur.com/tY1veXU.jpg

*has no intakes

You didn't take that youtube guy seriously did you?? He was just trying to put you down.

You didn't take that youtube guy seriously did you??

Hahaha the "aerospace engineer"? x-D

Well, a little bit... he's got a point, i am depriving myself of a certain challenge...

Or maybe it's just too easy to SSTO in KSP - I already made two 100% recoverable non air-hogging* Mun landers:

lIYbLHQ.jpg

=====================================

qpd6lvU.jpg

*you can't accuse me for air-hogging if there aren't any intakes! >:^)

I've been ignoring KSP of late, but I had fun in the SPH today.

Space Plane Plus is really satisfying to play with. This is a robotic SSTO with a lander stuffed in the payload bay. Just because.

1bXM4vk.png

feq0Tjz.png

ZzBrH6j.pngjB2XjyT.pngZu0owl4.png

cMBXRzB.pngIZQPJif.png

I could have done a moon landing too if I used the plane to take everything to a higher orbit. It has a ridiculous amount of LOX available. Maybe next time.

I'm also continuing work on a promising line of VTOL SSTOs. Again, just for kicks.

so32Uj8.png

4c9DFgB.png

FoynZ1J.png

Decided to build some infrastructure, so I needed a long range SSTO lifter, so I built this.

Having trouble with the MMUs, they don't respond well to mechjeb and I can't get them back in the damn plane!

http://imgur.com/a/kb04k

I'd say you are lacking an axis of translation, the "lateral" one. Can't be done with less than 4 RCS thrusters, either two of each kind on two places, or four 4-way blocks spaced 90º, and I only see two. Another point would be to remind you that the kerbal can supply the lights, reducing lag a bit (lights are pretty computationally intensive when on).

Rune. Do I detect a hint of mine there, or did you re-develop the same idea? If so, kudos! That's why I post stuff. :)

Edited by Rune
I can't write, seriously. I'm starting to wonder if I'mslightly dislexic, check the below post... "parts" is not "lights"

I'd say you are lacking an axis of translation, the "lateral" one. Can't be done with less than 4 RCS thrusters, either two of each kind on two places, or four 4-way blocks, and I only see two. Another point would be to remind you that the kerbal can supply the parts, reducing lag a bit (lights are pretty computationally intensive when on).

Rune. Do I detect a hint of mine there, or did you re-develop the same idea? If so, kudos! That's why I post stuff. :)

Thanks, I'll try that! I don't really have too much of a lag problem when I play, and I like the bug eyed look )

Er, mostly mine, bit of yours, bit of Overfloaters, probably a few others as well :) . Having looked at a few others, I think I use fewer of the I-beams than others, so the whole thing hangs off the tanks.

I'll publish the thing when I've ironed out the kinks :D

Thanks, I'll try that! I don't really have too much of a lag problem when I play, and I like the bug eyed look )

Er, mostly mine, bit of yours, bit of Overfloaters, probably a few others as well :) . Having looked at a few others, I think I use fewer of the I-beams than others, so the whole thing hangs off the tanks.

I'll publish the thing when I've ironed out the kinks :D

Yeah, we all get inspired off each other :). The only thing I add to simplify is use even less structural stuff by using the probe core in place of your cubic strut (it can be done with and without Ed Tools, BTW).