SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I've been goofing around with the SP+ parts, and I finally made a crewed cargo SSTO...

M64HfK8.png

(Made it into orbit with over 300 oxidizer left, and lots of monopropellant. Not bad... :))

nsNIxV6.png

I think I'm going to enjoy the 0.25/0.26 updates, if only due to these becoming stock. :P

Also, since the OP doesn't specify what planet a craft has to be SSTO-capable on, here's a Duna SSTO VTOL Dropship, complete with front and rear bays.:

KA3YgSg.png

:P

Also, since the OP doesn't specify what planet a craft has to be SSTO-capable on, here's a Duna SSTO VTOL Dropship, complete with front and rear bays

That Duna VTOL looks fantastic, great work Kitt3h!

Since I have no clue if 0.25 will mess up my craft files, I finished my latest single stage to orbit spaceplane. This unmanned SSTO is stable, agile and can get up to an 100km circular orbit with heaps of fuel to spare (though it doesn't appear to have a clear objective :blush:)

R3cuLZp.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Mods used: B9, Procedural Wings

Edited by Yakuzi

That Duna VTOL looks fantastic, great work Kitt3h!

Since I have no clue if 0.25 will mess up my craft files, I finished my latest single stage to orbit spaceplane. This unmanned SSTO is stable, agile and can get up to an 100km circular orbit with heaps of fuel to spare (though it doesn't appear to have a clear objective :blush:)

http://i.imgur.com/R3cuLZp.png

http://imgur.com/a/3f7cj

Mods used: B9, Procedural Wings

Those are incredibly beautiful!

(though it doesn't appear to have a clear objective :blush:)

Mate, looking totally rad is objective enough :D

Anyway, having never tried SP+ parts before, I'm starting small to get a feel for them. So far the aerodynamics are much less frustrating!

pwFtiJK.png

Mate, looking totally rad is objective enough :D

Anyway, having never tried SP+ parts before, I'm starting small to get a feel for them. So far the aerodynamics are much less frustrating!

http://i.imgur.com/pwFtiJK.png

Yup, Skylon was a breeze to balance (once I solved the tailstrike issues!):

d2cnftA.png

Rune. Note CoM stays stuck in place at all times, with or without cargo.

With 0.25 in and Spaceplane Plus now stock, I felt like building a spaceplane. Never been very good at it before with the stock stuff, so I had only done rockets.

First attempt went well, mostly. Speedy little crew shuttle that could get two Kerbals in orbit. Problems with having enough fuel to return, but that was more my fault- was still learning how to fly a spaceplane.

pCvxa9A.jpg

- UME-092 Starfire MkI

Second attempt was basically an extension on the MkI to try and carry cargo.

Ys5v1Gv.jpg

- UME-093 Starfire MkII

There were re-entry issues...

seZjr95.jpg

The MkIII was a rework of the design, capable of bringing a 3-ton piece of cargo into a stable 200km orbit.

BiLjIkz.jpg

- UME-094 Starfire MkIII

The most recent design, a heavy lifter that is capable of carrying a very heavy load into orbit...

36a0epm.jpg

...at the Mun, and return safely.

SCCVo9z.jpg

- UME-095 Starfire MkIV

VTOL-SSTO-mkI

78t2hxafn2x22p2fg.jpg

MASS:12.8T

PART COUNT:53

COST:48,574

RANGE:LKO

DOCKING PORTS:1 Small

ACTION GROUPS:

1:Toggle vertical engine shutters

2: Toggle vertical engine

3: Toggle horizontal engines

4: Toggle air intakes

5: Toggle engine mode

6: Toggle cargo bay doors

OTHER:100% stock. Made to carry small satellites into orbit.

DOWNLOAD:VTOLSSTO-1.craft

Had some requests for the craft file, so~

SCCVo9z.jpg

Ursa Major Exploration 'Starfire' Mk.IV

Craft file: UME-095 Starfire Mk.IV

100% Stock SSTMO (Single Stage to Munar Orbit)

Don't know if the groups follow the craft file, but if not, be sure to link all of the intakes to a group to close them all when the engines auto-switch to LOX. This greatly reduces drag.

Hi,

First time poster here, and I thought I'd share the SSTO I've built recently with the .25 update.

It has a quite ambitious goal: SSTO to Laythe, land on Laythe and get back to Kerbin.

Some specs:

* weight 33tons

* cost 120k

* 4 turbojets, TWR 1.36 on Kerbin when full.

* 4 mk1 fuselages with jet fuel

* just one atomic LV-N rocket engine to get to orbit and maneuver in space

* mk2 lf+0 small and large tanks, plus one mk2 adapter to 1.25m on which the atomic engine is mounted

* 3 FL-T400 and one Fl-T200 inside mk2 two cargo bays.

* passenger module for 4 additional seats just to look cool

* docking port

* mods used: Mechjeb, Hypededit, Alarm clock

Launch to Orbit from Kerbin expends around 45% of the jet fuel. Only about 550-600 m/s delta V needed from the atomic engine, but the ascent is a little tricky because the atomic motor gives only 0.20 TWR

After orbit, it has about 3.8 km/s delta V, which *might* be enough to get to Laythe and back, although I probably need to optimize the design a bit more to get to perhaps 4.5km/s (replace the passenger compartment with fuel for example). I'm also considering dropping off the FL-T tanks in the cargo bays after they are expended (not 100% reusable, but close enough).

I've tried hyperediting onto Laythe, and it uses around 35% of the jet fuel for ascent, with around 300m/s delta v. Considering it will need some just fuel for maneuvering on Laythe and Kerbin, I think the jet fuel should be OK.

Here are a few pictures.

In the VAB

DcJAOSA.jpg

Picking up speed on the runway. Rotates at 105m/s

tGqE2Cg.jpg

Steep ascent

vwiNzBn.jpg

At 18.5km:

n1kyCnP.jpg

At 24.5km

zs1lN0B.jpg

At 27km

8Esgm9Y.jpg

At 31km, Mechjeb is throttling down the engines

GIt5uDq.jpg

Turned off the outer 2 engines, and engaged the atomic engine.

ASnPBnG.jpg

At 35km, Mechjeb throttles down the engines. Unfortunately it also means the atomic engine is throttled down as well, but it is still good for orbit.

4p5aAzi.jpg

Turned off the remaining 2 turbojets at arond 1/3 throttle. At this point I'm picking up speed VERY slowly.

074MYiv.png

40km and on my way to orbit! Note 0.19 TWR in the Mechjeb screen below.

KfJS5HY.png

Getting dark, but orbit is very close.

9vtT4tK.png

64m/s circularization burn7UsoO2F.png

In orbit, with 3.6km/s delta V, and 55% jet fuel remaning

O0V8rc2.jpg

Opened all cargo bays

hsOm1h7.jpg

Test landing nearly full of fuel, 5m/s descent.

urEDZWP.jpg

Touch down, around 2-3m/s descent 7IpeJPt.jpg

Heavy braking, the nose comes closer to the ground

A8x73j0.jpg

Safely landed

ZtZsULE.jpg

Middle range SSTO "Delta 2R" (3700 m/s of dV on LKO), can make unpowered landing on Dune. Also it has rover for 2 kerbals in small cargo bay.

http://i.imgur.com/dsSZJQQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R1URAXm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/s98mijt.jpg

That is awesome. But do you have to go and inspire me with every craft? Just after seeing that, I thought: "I bet I could improve on delta-v if I drop payload and add fuel, keeping the powerplant". I didn't really add on fuel in the end, but I got a sweet wingform in the process and also slightly more delta-v, now I have something else on the "to-release" list... also, can any of you guys guess which SSTO I'm working on is going to get a wingform redesign after this? ;)

1RQNo5o.png

Rune. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Edited by Rune

Those are some very nice 0.25 spaceplanes Exo and Mesklin! I'm still finishing up my 0.24 ones, and can hopefully port them to 0.25 as soon as B9 gets updated. Anyhow, here's a very agile but stable single seater SSTO that can achieve an apoapsis >100k on the jet-air cycle. It has a singe turbojet/aerospike engine so a delight to control at high altitudes.

tngoBXO.png

Mods used: B9 R4.0c, Procedural Wings

Cargo 25.

Nice, simple lifter with limited delta V in orbit and only a little tricky to land due to the massive amounts of lift.

The extra fin that the eagle eyed will have spotted on the test run has been removed... :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qq7ro3d1wmo7j3y/Cargo%2025%20NMJ.craft?dl=0

Edited by Fellow314