SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

It's been a while since I've made a space plane, here is my latest design, capable of carrying 4 crew and a small payload.

A few pre-production sketches

front_A1_2.png

front_A1_7.png

front_A1_14.png

front_A1_9.pngfront_A1_8.png

Production Model

2014-10-16_00003.jpg

2014-10-16_00013.jpg

2014-10-16_00011.jpg

2014-10-16_00010.jpg

Edited by huggy

That's exceptionally pretty! Also, very plausible looking. I love it.

Thanks!

Interesting design Huggy. Don't the Rapiers kick the plane up if they are not in-line with the CoM?

They do, only outside of the atmosphere though. The engines aren't too far off of the COM, so I use the RCS to compensate for the imbalance.

Edited by huggy

I think I have a Laythe round-trip design:

5.8km/s delta-v with 30% fuel remaining after ascent from Kerbin, and 6.3km/s with no jet fuel.

Laythe ascent is pretty easy by comparison because the plane will be substantially lighter and the lower gravity as well.

The design grew to 38 ton start mass. I moved the LV-N engine more in-board and it can land at a much higher angle. Unfortunately I can't find a way to keep the extra 4 passenger compartment without sacrificing too much delta-v. With 4 passengers/6km delta-v will probably need a substantially bigger ~50t plane.

fQi2zqS.jpg

Finally did it I got a decent size SP+ cargo SSTO

I present ; Slugger

fDm5eKa.jpg

pQVBm2us.jpgy1nsEHcs.jpgVP6AplTs.jpgHblWCY6s.jpgBNnG73Ls.jpgP0h5GPts.jpgRDVUfQYs.jpgajzqh8Ts.jpgeE0K1LBs.jpg

Built to carry 9 tn to or from orbit using only SP+ parts except batteries rcs etc

It can take a while to build up speed and needs action key fiddling to get the most out of the 6 rapiers. Mmm if only I had fuel balancer.

It can glide to a safe landing, its balanced ish around the centre of the 2 cargo bays ... it flys great plus easy to dock & can watch from the back of the plane :P

Edited by KandoKris

I've been lurking around in this thread for inspiration but now i feel it's my turn to show some of my creations !

I present you the Eagle Mk5 and the Vulture Mk4 Dropships :

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

The engines pivot to change between VTOL and horizontal flight configurations , the Vulture also features 4 passanger seats and a cargo bay with moving platform that can carry a buggy or a couple bikes ( yet to be designed ) and a winch to move cargo around . I used IR for both the VTOL engines and the cargo bay platform .

They both are well balanced and have enough fuel to reach a 100kmx100km orbit with some fuel left for orbital maneuvres and reentry , sorry if i didn't include picture of them flying but i already tested them and i was to lazy to do a whole fly with both again ! :P

Edited by RaimondLuxuryYacht

Made my first SSTO with only stock parts (still using FAR). Had to go through a few iterations to get enough fuel to get into orbit, but in atmo it flies very well - stable nearly everywhere, easy to take off and land. Takes 12 kerbals to LKO with a bit of fuel to spare.

2014-10-18_00001_zps95ea0ba4.jpg

2014-10-18_00003_zps056d0648.jpg

2014-10-18_00004_zps6232a066.jpg

Stock rocket (aerospike) SSTO

Start weight- 328t

Payload- 10t (orbit- 100/100)

Landing weight- 68t.

Just 10 tn !! That thing is Huge and it only lifts 10 tonne

I think either you have your numbers off a little or you need to maybe consider a re-design maybe changing the aero spikes for somthin less thrusty

Below is my Mullet cargo max payload 45tn and the Mk2 is up to almost 60tn

QPVYQA1.jpg

I think either you have your numbers off a little or you need to maybe consider a re-design maybe changing the aero spikes for somthin less thrusty

http://i.imgur.com/QPVYQA1.jpg

That is the difference between realistic rockets and unrealistic airbreathers. Turbojets are so OP it's scary. And his is a perfectly reasonable 100% rocket SSTO, would work the same on Tylo. Actually it is a bit more difficult to engineer than yours, and a hell of a lot more difficult to fly a successful mission with return if he doesn't do it with mechjeb's autopilot. Try landing on an almost-empty SSTO if you don't believe me.

Rune. Then again, with mechjeb (as i suspect is the case), things are much easier.

That is the difference between realistic rockets and unrealistic airbreathers. Turbojets are so OP it's scary. And his is a perfectly reasonable 100% rocket SSTO, would work the same on Tylo. Actually it is a bit more difficult to engineer than yours, and a hell of a lot more difficult to fly a successful mission with return if he doesn't do it with mechjeb's autopilot. Try landing on an almost-empty SSTO if you don't believe me.

Rune. Then again, with mechjeb (as i suspect is the case), things are much easier.

Thanks. I use MechJeb ...

http://i.imgur.com/QPVYQA1.jpg

13.jpg?ver=0

screenshot62.jpg?ver=0

fot1.jpg?ver=0

landing an almost empty SSTO ? Most SSTO's are "almost empty" when the come back down. Oh and FYI. MULLET was built TO be basic. Also I've landed, Mmm countless SSTO's, most "almost empty" and while I dont have and mods to make it more realistic or any mods at all atm I do understand that that landing that massive amount of tanks without parachute's would be a challenge not that I ever said it would be infact I never mentioned anything about the flight difficulty.

Oh and Rocket only SSTO challenge accepted Rune :)

Thank you for the inspiration