SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

And for the pointlessness of it all... this worked MUCH better than expected!

http://imgur.com/a/0FGSO

Rune. It was a very stylish way to get to orbit and back, I must admit that. :)

Hey that looks like the rocket form the tin tin comic

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01175/arts-graphics-2007_1175942a.jpg

These are my most recent creations. I'm no expert in building SSTOs, in fact, these are my first 2 successfull creations.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This one has been tested with and without cargo. It flies reasonbaly well, but has this constant urge to pitch down. And looks like I'm not good at landing lol

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This one has not been tested with cargo yet, and I suspect it has more cargo bay space than it can actually haul lol

Flies much better and stable than the previous model, but tneds to pith up. Has an escape system that proved useful...

This 2 designs of mine have been built with help of, and are "beeing discussed" on this thread, where you can also find the .craft files for them ;)

edit: note that these crafts are all in experimental stage, so they don't have docking ports and other systems. For example, I forgot to add RCS ports on the rear of the first craft, wich makes it hard to execute some maneuvers in space. The engines on the second design overheat until they completely shut down, but can be reactivated a few seconds later in rocket mode.

Edited by PCanas

I like the forward swept wing design of the new stock plane, but I wasn't a fan of the staged engines and thought it could be done a lot better, so I tweaked it a lot, redesigned the wings, removed the 909s from the back and threw on some rapiers. This was the result:

The Karbonite here is accidental. I forgot to tweak the fuel in the two tiny flat LF cans I use for extra jet time.

3tIGhvz.jpg

Around 26km at 1500m/s is when the plane autoswitches to closed cycle. You CAN manually do it and coax it faster and higher with some throttle management, but I more or less set it at a constant low angle at 13km and let it do its thing.

qT0XGJJ.jpg

goMWxgI.png

All stock save for a couple added features you can easily do without or imitate with stock parts.

On the underside are 4 5-way retractable RCS jets from Bahamuto Dynamics (linear jets for downward thrust on the top of the wings), as well as a couple low profile LF cans designed to offset the 60-ish LF you burn in jet mode on ascent.

I'm using B9 landing gear because... it's just better. Less weight, motors, steerable...

You can elongate this and bring in a cargo bay, it has more than enough oomph to get some cargo up to orbit. I just wanted a nice compact design.

Edited by Immashift

qromodynmc, you can probably get away with 2 RAPIERs on that thing and switch the other two out for turbojets. The thing looks like a featherweight so I doubt you actually need 4 RAPIERs worth of rocket power to achieve orbit. 2 RAPIER, 2 turbojet might be a more efficient way to go for you.

Immashift, I replicated that as a trainer. Replacing the docking port with a Mk 2 fuselage short LF gives me a big margin of error on fuel with all tanks full and boy does she handle like a jet fighter when the fuel is out. Almost put her into a flat spin spiraling down to the runway just west of KSC.

Wanderfound, your stuff never ceases to amaze me. Do those work stock or are they only FAR compatible. I ask because they're the first real SSTOs I've seen of that size that don't appear to have blatant air hogging.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Got round to finishing the rebuild of my SSTO from 0.24. I'd had a lot of trouble getting it to work in 0.25 and its performance was awful. I've finished getting it back to its original standard and it can once again get to a much higher orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/XgOcDrO.png

Ooh, nice! It looks even better now with the SP+/0.25 wings. :)