SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Ok, this is kinda a mk2 spaceplane. Missing a few things, but still I got 4.5t tank inside a cargo bay into orbit with 25t spaceplane.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/534018071206922903/8C58AF189E7F312CE376907215FC6B7AAC196B53/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/534018071206923264/2CC1F32526D764B53B018EC2ADAD188362B8DE9B/

7760195D2823A8FCD8CEBC069C407AC2651855AF

No fins, no frontal intakes... Mechjeb is reporting this has drag coefficient of 4.

Edited by Radam

She's not the prettiest lady in the hangar, but the Onager C flies with only turbojets and LV-45s and can still get your satellites to orbit reliably. Works with new 1.0.1 lift/drag model :)

Barely breaks 600 kelvin on the way up, engineer is crediting the pointy nose.

CfnOB2u.jpg

Edited by eddiew

So I got a mk3 spaceplane into orbit in 1.02. I had to do a drag reduction by clipping some adaptors. Otherwise the drag would be twice as much. And I had to jump over the mach wall by climbing to 11k and dropping down for speed.

Curiously this lifts off at the middle of the runway. Too many wings I guess.

85E938ACF1B3C538464B4D4AB1F3DF7AB4429423

This is Space Turtle for!, a very streamlined craft for a mk3. It has like drag coefficient of 6 on the runway. Cannot break the sound barrier without dropping from 11k with some help. But I havent yet managed it to get into orbit with a full orange tank inside the hull.

Anyone wanna try? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6nxlhq2hYQ5VEZ6WGNRY0NOeEU/view?usp=sharing

6F091F0D5D32537F9EC38CF3AC9A00760D1030C5

Btw, I took my liberty of clipping the engines as thats the least I can do to fight the soup.

Remember what I said about rocket SSTOs in 1.0 being easier? Well, they are. 40mT to orbit at 12.5% payload fraction, √150K, 88 parts without payload. And a lot of cheap fuel.

SYNSY0f.png

Rune. Coming Soonâ„¢.

Edited by Rune

Remember what I said about rocket SSTOs in 1.0 being easier? Well, they are. 40mT to orbit at 12.5% payload fraction, √150K, 88 parts without payload. And a lot of cheap fuel.

http://i.imgur.com/SYNSY0f.png

Rune. Coming Soonâ„¢.

Whoa, that's big! Would it be able to glide it's way back down or something?

Whoa, that's big! Would it be able to glide it's way back down or something?

Sure, it's balanced to fly perfectly fine when empty of all fuel, and being so big and light, that's always incredibly easy to achieve. I went the extra mile and put a couple of auxiliary turbojets in case you come out of reentry really far away from KSC.

Rune. At least that's the idea, up like a rocket, down like a feather.

Something before I get into nuFAR, which would probably throw a hissy fit over this one :)

Vjpcw5U.jpg

Respectable dummy payload carried on this run; add the satellite of requirement, or swap it for a couple of fuel cans and it'll just about make Munar orbit and back. I think. Maybe.

Hi All ...

This is the K 176 (188) SSTO, 176 ton Wetmass (188ton with Sparetanks).

It pulls a 36ton Payload (Orange Jumbo Tank 64) to 85x85km LKO easely. If you dare take off the Sparetanks, it still reaches 85x85km,

the amount of Fuel remaining depends then only on your flightskills... :wink:

CAUTION: this Craft requires "SUPERDUCTTAPE" provided by

KERBAL JOINT REINFORCEMENT MOD, without spontaenious

disassembly will happen...

Sorry Vanilla-users, the responsible Kerbal engineer has been put to

lawn mowing to overthink his unreasonable failure not to communicate

this... important detail. Snacks while mowing have been deleted also.

a8bct4I.png

The Craftfile is here, Stockparts 1.0.2, you can download and try

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot5pi8qv2ejuu88/MIKKIs%20K%20176%20%28188%29.craft?dl=0

How to fly:

Hire some unwilling Kerbonauts of your choice, maybe Jeb should do the Job...

Raise the Ladder, hit spacebar, throttle up the Ramjets, climb with 300m/s at 35 degrees till 12500m,

keep the ascend path at 30-40 degrees and reach 1000m/s at 20000m,

hit spacebar, the Mainsail kicks you outside the Soup, when the Rams top off at 25000 hit 1,

the Rams shutdown.

Activate RCS, go Prograde, open the Map and cutoff the Mainsail (2) at Apo 75 or 85Km.

Create a Manouver to circularise, engage Mainsail (2), open Solarpanels (4).

Go EVA with Jeb and let him clean the Mainsail from Spacegunk.

Release the Jumbotank and well... Happy Landing.

Transfer some Liquids to the Front before descending.

Disable SAS when reaching the Runway and hit the Brakes, or Jeb will have a serious accident at KSC, again.

Edited by Mikki
Picture, Typo, HowtoFly, Lawn mowing issue

Hi All ...

This is the K 176 (188) SSTO, 176 ton Wetmass (188ton with Sparetanks).

It pulls a 36ton Payload (Orange Jumbo Tank 64) to 85x85km LKO easely. If you dare take off the Sparetanks, it still reaches 85x85km,

the amount of Fuel remaining depends then only on your flightskills... :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/a8bct4I.png

The Craftfile is here, Stockparts 1.0.2, you can download and try

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot5pi8qv2ejuu88/MIKKIs%20K%20176%20%28188%29.craft?dl=0

How to fly:

Hire some unwilling Kerbonauts of your choice, maybe Jeb should do the Job...

Raise the Ladder, hit spacebar, throttle up the Ramjets, climb with 300m/s at 35 degrees till 12500m,

keep the ascend path at 30-40 degrees and reach 1000m/s at 20000m,

hit spacebar, the Mainsail kicks you outside the Soup, when the Rams top off at 25000 hit 1,

the Rams shutdown.

Activate RCS, go Prograde, open the Map and cutoff the Mainsail (2) at Apo 75 or 85Km.

Create a Manouver to circularise, engage Mainsail (2), open Solarpanels (4).

Go EVA with Jeb and let him clean the Mainsail from Spacegunk.

Release the Jumbotank and well... Happy Landing.

Transfer some Liquids to the Front before descending.

Disable SAS when reaching the Runway and hit the Brakes, or Jeb will have a serious accident at KSC, again.

The craft is nice and all, but I am finally going to ask this to someone, if you don't mind, and you are close at hand: which country are you from? See, I have noticed quite a few people making compound words like you do... ("Sparetanks", "flightskills") and now my curiosity is piqued. German or Russian? Honestly, I have no idea, but you are not the only one.

Rune. Non-native english speaker here too, but I don't know what my tell is :)

Getting there with being able to put more than just a Kerbal into space. Can now do 7-8t with this aptly named Space PLANE 7t. I really need to work on my naming, but it's more of a tech demonstrator so I can have some pre-cooked stuff for my career save. Although the more I tinker in Sandbox, the less I want to continue with the Career.

Now that they can get up there, time to make it more pretty. And I should stop doing it all at sunset. Always circularizing in the dark. And the Ap/Pe are shot to crap, because I was browsing the forums while coasting to AP and missed the manoeuvre node by about 60seconds...

n9PgYLS.jpg

zaFbXJu.png

d28F2fI.jpg

what the....

1) CoM ahead of the CoL at all fuel levels; check.

2) Decent wing surface; check.

3) TWR > 1.5 at mach 0.9 and 10km; check.

That's all you need for nuStock :) The landing was a bit of a nose dive; need to move the chutes forward, clearly they're behind the dCoM, hence the destroyed intakes.

All of a sudden I'm loving 1.0.2 for the silliness factor. I suspect 1.0 would have been just as good, but at least this sort of nonsense is still viable :cool:

Edited by eddiew

The craft is nice and all, but I am finally going to ask this to someone, if you don't mind, and you are close at hand: which country are you from? See, I have noticed quite a few people making compound words like you do... ("Sparetanks", "flightskills") and now my curiosity is piqued. German or Russian? Honestly, I have no idea, but you are not the only one.

Rune. Non-native english speaker here too, but I don't know what my tell is :)

Ah yes, hi Rune

Youre right, im not english native, and my writing is maybe simple/silly because im not used to it a lot...

I hope nobody feels disrespected about that... i am able to speak about seven latin or indogerman languages and

one exotic. I am from Finland, and my head is sometimes confused about... the right words and... grammatics.

So i take it easy and say as i feel.

I can hardly differ english slangs from each other, but americans are allways fun to read.

I try not to judge People, neither for actual behaviour nor generally... or other subjectiv impressions.

Greetings MIKKI

- - - Updated - - -

Edited by Mikki
weird double post (updated?), ...Typo... yes sorry, i should keep my mouth shut...:)