SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Built this before work this morning...

That's genuinely astonishing... more than half its weight must be engines, surely? :o

How did you attach to the middle of a bi-adapter like that? I keep seeing it done but I can't work out the trick...

That's genuinely astonishing... more than half its weight must be engines, surely? :o

How did you attach to the middle of a bi-adapter like that? I keep seeing it done but I can't work out the trick...

Several ways, actually:

1) Turn part clipping on, use the middle node (the one on the front when the part is picked up in the SPH), move stuff to their final places with the translation gizmo, and run fuel lines because clipping nodes breaks the fuel flow.

2) Grab a cubic strut, surface-attach it to, well, anywhere really, then stick the nuke to that and move it around as you need to, while you stick the cockpit on the tank's node. It will feed fuel fine without fuel lines.

3) Install Ed Tools (I don't build without it), turn on surface attachment in either the nuke or the cockpit (or both, and leave the nodes free) by pressing T, and do the same as before but without the strut. It will still feed fuel fine without the fuel lines to the surface attached parts, but not from them. You can do the same thing by turning on surface attach in the part config file, but it's a hassle.

4) Probably the most elegant one, and the one with less drag for sure: Stick the cockpit to the end of the tank, and the nuke to the end of the cockpit. Move the cockpit inside the tank with the translation gizmo, and perhaps the nuke inside the cockpit if it is still too long. Feeds perfectly fine, and you create no extra drag due to surface attachment. Forget that, I forgot about the front docking port, you need at least one surface attachment or node clip to do that.

Rune. I think he used #1.

Edited by Rune

Hum, I thought that double-attaching to nodes was a good way to summon the kraken? Or is that less of a problem now? I'm not against creative clipping, I just don't want stuff to kersplode :)

Is there any easy way to centre surface attached objects? I've tried it in the past and never quite felt sure that they were aligned properly...

Thank you! I'll probably work on it a bit more tonight but just wanted to see if I could get there without using oxidizer.

As far as I can remember I simply surface attached the bi-adaptor to the rear of the MK1 inline and then used the offset/rotation tools to move it into it's final position. If you are persistent you can actually get it to pretty much snap into place and it'll take minimum adjustment (if any) to get it into final position, I mainly adjusted fore and aft till the intakes were in a position that looked OK.

Normally I do use the "cubic strut" method when need to do something like this though, that's how I did the engines and nose cone "fairings" for them.

I'll be glad to help if you need to know more.

:)

First SSTO using the new aero! I call it the "Pike." Had to balance out the oxidizer due to the extra fuel in the wings. Even though it's certainly not the most efficient design, it will indeed make orbit.

5Gx0LFc.jpg

NbzpjvO.jpg

Nkx7BUn.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck!

Hum, I thought that double-attaching to nodes was a good way to summon the kraken? Or is that less of a problem now? I'm not against creative clipping, I just don't want stuff to kersplode :)

Is there any easy way to centre surface attached objects? I've tried it in the past and never quite felt sure that they were aligned properly...

No, that one is clipping parts with moving collision meshes (docking ports, legs) inside other parts. Stacking nodes only breaks fuel flow, which is why it's not advisable for a newbie, but if you are smart about it you can actually use it to create weird, controlled fuel flows around your ship (i.e: having all your engines the same number of nodes away from all tanks so they draw fuel evenly).

Rune. That one should help a lot. I recommend searching for the thread where user Kashua dissects fuel flows, you can learn tons of useful stuff.

First off sorry about the wall of images I couldnt work out how to embed imgur albums

Im a long time reader and first time poster so i figured i would start with my latest accomplishment;

qp3jtu4.jpg4yCizK7.jpg

this is the first space plane ive ever gotten to work in all my hundreds of hours. i was able to get it up and dock with my space station. from there it can be refueled to go further

hmrhhyd.jpg

ZeFopBe.jpg

I i wanted to make this as an interplanetary tourism shuttle in my career as a cheep way to get passengers around.

3RIx2RQ.jpg

Pmfjo4M.jpg

it has something like 4000 dv on its nukes when its fully fueled however it has practically no cargo capacity when i replaced the passenger module with 2 more small cargo bays i was only about to put about 8 tonnes of cargo in it

First SSTO using the new aero! I call it the "Pike." Had to balance out the oxidizer due to the extra fuel in the wings. Even though it's certainly not the most efficient design, it will indeed make orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/5Gx0LFc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NbzpjvO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Nkx7BUn.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck!

Nice little ship, remarkably similar to one of my other designs (great minds think alike) but we differ in the way we do the tail sections. Yours is probably a lot easier to land than mine too as you have airbrakes!

Here's my version anyway...

E9A49F542527C023720CFA75C66B4115EFDCEF47

How crazy, gmiddlemass! Excellent work I must say. Great minds must indeed think alike :). I like the low profile tail. Less drag than mine, I would think.

The speed brakes on mine do help to combat the extra lift from those thick wings during landing. Also helps slow reentry, if you ever have a need ;).

How crazy, gmiddlemass! Excellent work I must say. Great minds must indeed think alike :). I like the low profile tail. Less drag than mine, I would think.

The speed brakes on mine do help to combat the extra lift from those thick wings during landing. Also helps slow reentry, if you ever have a need ;).

Yep, mine was a bit of a nightmare to land to be honest... keep forgetting that we have airbrakes now!

I added a set to a modified version of the one I posted this morning, they help you to stop and make a nice fairing for the nuke engine. Switched out the Turbojets for Rapiers and added a bit more fuel to compensate, it's much easier to get into orbit now with the extra kick that the Rapiers give but they do use more fuel. Here's the latest version...

289BA98B8A43255500BABC0D50ABB5012D39365B

Sorry, guys, I have one more here I want to post. I've actually been working on it for a bit and finally put the finishing touches-ish on her earlier this morning. Still might expand the design to do more, but for now it can make a pretty high orbit and, despite its looks, remain stable (again-ish when full of fuel) through most of the flight envelope.

I call it "Fireball," because, well, let's just it was a fun testing process. It also represents the reason why there is currently a maximum landing weight restriction.

Cheers!

P6EAeZg.jpg

5gvbp35.jpg

xBUjTce.jpg

Edited by Rezolution

A tip for the landing: try to keep vertical velocity low and do S-turns in the early parts of the reentry. Airbrakes really aren't needed for reentry TBH.

Also deploy your rudders if you have two or more, gives some good drag.

Sorry, guys, I have one more here I want to post. I've actually been working on it for a bit and finally put the finishing touches-ish on her earlier this morning. Still might expand the design to do more, but for now it can make a pretty high orbit and, despite its looks, remain stable (again-ish when full of fuel) through most of the flight envelope.

I call it "Fireball," because, well, let's just it was a fun testing process. It also represents the reason why there is currently a maximum landing weight restriction.

Cheers!

http://i.imgur.com/P6EAeZg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5gvbp35.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xBUjTce.jpg

Love the look of this one... I'm very much a fan of the smaller spaceplane designs and this is quite an unusual one.

Well done sir! :)

A tip for the landing: try to keep vertical velocity low and do S-turns in the early parts of the reentry. Airbrakes really aren't needed for reentry TBH.

Sure they're not needed but they're much easier than making heading changes and much more fun to look at than control surfaces (though in a sense I suppose they are a type of control surface, but you get what I mean). Trying to keep the Kerbal spirit in my designs, after all ;).

It's not a bad tip, though, if you don't go that route.

One final one from me too... this was the logical conclusion for my "flying wing" SSTO design and, along with the many others posted on here it shows that we don't all have to make "hot dog" designs.

3560725822D646905BC385F2AA937AFD1F1ADF44

Edit: Made it to Mun and back with a fair bit of fuel to spare.

Edited by gmiddlemass

Still under refinement, but turbojets and nukes only; carries a full T400+T200 tank to LKO. No oxidiser except for the cargo. Makes 1100-1200m/s and 65km apoapsis on air. Bit of aesthetic polish and it could be a very satisfying little lifter :)

TZbaVhF.jpg

Very cool and cute. :D

One final one from me too... this was the logical conclusion for my "flying wing" SSTO design and, along with the many others posted on here it shows that we don't all have to make "hot dog" designs.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/37497016214899225/3560725822D646905BC385F2AA937AFD1F1ADF44/

Edit: Made it to Mun and back with a fair bit of fuel to spare.

Another good one. Nice job on the long legs.