SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Quite honestly... I'm about to give up on turbos and nukes as a thing that can do anything useful. Sure, it works as an LKO delivery mechanism, but you're totally reliant on a high apoapsis out of the ascent. Might retrofit this one with a couple of 45s instead and fill up on oxidiser.

Kind of like the look though :)

8ePavwl.jpg

Love the look of this one... I'm very much a fan of the smaller spaceplane designs and this is quite an unusual one.

Well done sir! :)

Did somebody say smaller spaceplane designs?

First functional spaceplane I've made in 1.0, the Wasp:

Wasp_Reentry_1.png

As you can see by the image, there's only one problem, which is that the front canards overheat. This wouldn't be so bad if they weren't the only source of lift on the front half of the plane. I'm going to swap them out for some more heat-resistant ones, if there are any.

EDIT:

Just realized it's actually pretty hard to see the plane. Here's a better one:

Wasp.png

EDIT2: Link!

Edited by Brownhair2

While Laythe-return SSTO flights appears to be out of range in 1.0.2 (except perhaps for ion or ISRU based SSTOs), getting an SSTO to Duna and back is possible with good margins.

This craft has about 5.3 km/s delta V available from LKO, carrying a fair bit of unnecessary oxidizer.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I wasted large amounts of fuel during the trip, and still had 1.5k delta V to brake with when returning to Kerbin.

Unfortunately, the plane turned out to be completely unmanageable on empty tanks, which resulted in a very Kerbal landing back at Kerbin. Back to the drawing board, I guess..

Edited by Chronosheep

While Laythe-return SSTO flights appears to be out of range in 1.0.2 (except perhaps for ion or ISRU based SSTOs), getting an SSTO to Duna and back is possible with good margins.

This craft has about 5.3 km/s delta V available from LKO, carrying a fair bit of unnecessary oxidizer.

http://imgur.com/a/ql1aG

I wasted large amounts of fuel during the trip, and still had 1.5k delta V to brake with when returning to Kerbin.

Unfortunately, the plane turned out to be completely unmanageable on empty tanks, which resulted in a very Kerbal landing back at Kerbin. Back to the drawing board, I guess..

Alternately, you could download TAC Fuel Balancer, which will automatically balance your fueltanks for you.

Just a suggestion.

Like your design by the way. :)

Alternately, you could download TAC Fuel Balancer, which will automatically balance your fueltanks for you.

Just a suggestion.

Like your design by the way. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it won't help.

Because of the absurdly high lift of the mk2 parts, the center of lift will be too far to the front when there is little fuel left, even if you put all the fuel in the frontmost tank.

Did I say delta wings were boring? I'm just finding excuses not to do the gardening, tbh. Pretty impressed by how smoothly this flies, it would have been laggy as hell in 0.9...

YxuXfrO.jpg

5oc7Wyu.jpg

Edited by eddiew

Time to stop posting silhouette pictures and unveil the super duper secret squirrel SSTO that barely makes it into orbit with enough fuel to de-orbit (1.0 Aero). The best part is, it's balanced in such a way that you can change it by putting something between the cockpit and docking port depending on the mission. Crew cabin, another small cargo bay. There's space underneath for a decoupler + Droptank for more fuel for long atmospheric only flights

5JNQr9c.jpgLbJ48my.jpgmrPC8X1.jpgY7DCQ9N.jpgiCPXpd2.jpg

72 Parts, The Advanced Canard has had Tweak Scale applied to make it larger (But doesn't use Yaw/Roll/Pitch) and 2 Infernal Robotics hinges so that the wings sweep, other than that it's all stock

Edited by Sabor

Time to stop posting silhouette pictures and unveil the super duper secret squirrel SSTO that barely makes it into orbit with enough fuel to de-orbit (1.0 Aero). The best part is, it's balanced in such a way that you can change it by putting something between the cockpit and docking port depending on the mission. Crew cabin, another small cargo bay. There's space underneath for a decoupler + Droptank for more fuel for long atmospheric only flights

http://i.imgur.com/5JNQr9c.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/LbJ48my.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/mrPC8X1.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/Y7DCQ9N.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/iCPXpd2.jpg

72 Parts, The Advanced Canard has had Tweak Scale applied to make it larger (But doesn't use Yaw/Roll/Pitch) and 2 Infernal Robotics hinges so that the wings sweep, other than that it's all stock

Looks awesome, man! :)

Sure you can't cram a few more experiments in there? :sticktongue:

Edited by Jan Gaarni

Never made an SSTO pre-1.0 but with the new aerodynamics I thought I'd try them out. I've been having a lot of fun playing with them in sandbox mode last couple days. Here are the ones that didn't get stuck on the sound barrier, blow up in atmo, or run out of gas.

obCRzWN.jpg?1

Mark 4 was my first successful SSTO space plane. 2 crew, 4 passengers, 4 Rapiers, 4 turbo-ramjets, 76 tons, kinda ugly & pretty much useless (no docking port, RCS, power supply, etc.) but it did make it to orbit & back!

nW0BFnM.jpg?1

Mark 6B, single-seater, 2 turbo-ramjets & 1 T30. Wanted to see if I could do it without Rapiers. Had some CoG issues while low on fuel, went into a spin after reentry & only recovered by transferring all the fuel forward.

uDCXXyE.jpg?1

Mark 7, trying to make something halfway useful. 4 crew, 32 passengers, 7 Rapiers at the back + 4 jets. Much to my surprise it actually made orbit & returned (on the second try; first try dismantled itself on the runway due to lack of struts). Think this is the only one with a mod part (the Rapiers are mounted on the thrust plate from Procedural Fairings).

jinp4cF.jpg?1

Mark 8, another single seater. I like this one, stupidly overpowered, handles pretty well in atmo & only has 13 parts. Not sure if the pre-cooler actually does anything or not.

3piDnEl.jpg?1

Mark 12, think this is my favorite so far. Mostly mid-game tech (except the shock cones, but I bet it would still work with ram inlets), 4 kerbals to LKO in a fully-reuseable 30,000-spacebuck ship (vs. 42,000 for my current 3-kerbal expendable career-mode workhorse), handles reasonably well considering its lack of wings.

Looks awesome, man! :)

Sure you can't cram a few more experiments in there? :sticktongue:

Heh, I've modified it and have several different version for several different uses. One for Kerbal transport/station rendevous, One for small probes to LKO, One without oxidizer and an extra drop tank for long atmospheric only flights, and an unmanned drone one with BD Armory weapons for debris clean up

ï ÿрþÑÂтþ ÑÂтþ тут þÑÂтðòûю ;)

eE5bSjf.png

Hi All

Not long ago our Kerbal Chief Engineer Bi... err..., i actually forgot his name, no matter now,...

Okay, after he finished mowing the Lawn to north side of the KSP Runway, he has been attacked by a...

Cow, and he was put to the hospital to investigate the insuries... finally he is all well and his latest

drawing are verry... weird.

CAUTION: KERBAL JOINT REINFORCEMENT MOD IS MANDATORY

"RAPID SPONTAENIOUS DISASSEMBLEMENT ON THE RUNWAY"

Stockparts 1.0.2, no mods, except KJR, no clipping, no snacks

H.O.L.Y.C.O.W. SSTO Spaceplane refurbished

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=440606125

The Craftfile is here, you can download an try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3cterhnkysvrsf/H_O_L_Y_C_O_W_.craft?dl=0

When you fly with it... make a nice aerobrake. Nothing more to say...:cool:

DANGEROUS LANDING BEHAVIOUR... NOT REALY RELIABLE ...USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

SEE FURTER FOR H.O.L.Y.C.O.W. 2

Edited by Mikki
Picture, Warning for carreerusers

That... that can't be! I made the calculations and checked them twice! IT CAN'T BE THAT SUCH A GOOD LOOKING SSTO STILL GETS INTO SPACE?! WHAT IS THIS MAGIC?!
A considerable amount of clipping is the 'magic'.

A considerable amount of clipping is the 'magic'.

I just tried the engine part with all the clipping. It literally breaks everything apart when trying to lift-off.

Edited by cpt_nosh

About spaceplanes, are aerospike engines viable now?

They were perfectly fine before (though probably best to use vertical takeoff and horizontal landing), but with their awesome thrust curve now and the more modest budget to LKO, they should be much more of a cakewalk to build. Of course I am assuming you will use them for what they are meant to be used, 100% chemical SSTOs to take advantage of their awesome sea level isp and flat thrust curve. For upper stage use, they have always been kind of crappy. I have a couple on the big chemical flyback SSTO I showed a few pages back (which is suffering some pretty massive redesigns, BTW).

Rune. Haven't played for a weekend and already I have the urge to dive back into the SPH.

Edited by Rune

I just tried the engine part with all the clipping. It literally breaks everything apart when trying to lift-off.

Yeah that thing is an overkill, I got the orange tank to orbit with like half as many rapiers. Actually I used 10, or actually 6 rapiers, 4 turbos and 2 nukes.

But that thing has 26!