SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

"Trudyaga" - low tech SSTO launcher for career mode: 20t payload + 4 passengers to 100x100 km orbit.

Low parts for SSTO, only 80. Low cost - only 74000$ and low launch cost - ~4000$. Big space for payload.

For launch you need SPH and runway with level 2. Need only 2 tech with 300SP: High Altitude Flight and Heavy Aerodynamics.

LG2dnhB.jpg

Download link: http://kerbalx.com/Mesklin/Trudyaga

It looks so sad :( two turbojets/nukes, 35t at take-off. So far it does LKO with about 250∆V remaining. Can haul up 10 Kerbals in total. Needs tidying. Uses adjustable landing gear (makes taildraggers much easier), B9 pwings, and either (or both) quiztech and Mk2 expansion - nose and tail adapter.

Need to find a way of storing the fuel somewhere less aesthetically offensive...

yo1HKCE.png

Because the turbojets don't care about fuel lines, but nukes do...

m6KoNnB.pngrhAfcAy.jpg

I designed this to retrieve Kerbals from orbit. It's the earliest SSTO I can manage in the tech tree.

Basically what you need to research is the Swivel engine, the FL-T400, the HECS command unit, the reaction wheel, the radial chutes, the nosecones and the Fuel Ducts. Although you could actually do this just as well without the FL-T400 tanks, and use the smaller ones.

It has about 4100 D/V, which will get you to a 100k orbit with basically only enough fuel left to de-orbit.

pwVFpwm.png

Edited by RocketBlam

I've been experimenting with Mk3 lifters too, and by necessity they are quite similar looking!

I started with a shape I liked:

eq1OGIK.png

But found out it was just to darn draggy, so it's slimmed down to this:

yxV8IYF.png

...which has its own charm. I've really been trying to put the airframe on a diet, reducing it's frontal area drastically:

DpnkRIp.png

The lifting surface is also drastically reduced meaning that it is quite a handful to fly. I'd love to get rid of the canards for aesthetic reasons, but i don't think that's going to happen. They are heavily relied upon on takeoff and re-entry.

N1CYua1.png

Right now it can easily lift hefty-sized space station parts, but struggles with a Jumbo-64 Orange tank. Once I've tinkered it to death and it can barely get a -64 to LKO, I will probably release the craft file.

Edit:

This is a minimalistic masterpiece:blush:

Edited by Exothermos

"Trudyaga" - low tech SSTO launcher for career mode: 20t payload + 4 passengers to 100x100 km orbit.

Low parts for SSTO, only 80. Low cost - only 74000$ and low launch cost - ~4000$. Big space for payload.

For launch you need SPH and runway with level 2. Need only 2 tech with 300SP: High Altitude Flight and Heavy Aerodynamics.

http://i.imgur.com/LG2dnhB.jpg

Download link: http://kerbalx.com/Mesklin/Trudyaga

I tried this, I couldn't get it into orbit. Can you provide a quick guide to getting it into space please?

That looks sick. But hose wings in the middle are tweakscaled, procedural, or what? They seem a tad too thick for stock...

Rune. But I'll be glad to stand corrected

I'm pretty sure he was clever with the big Delta wings. I think what we're seeing is the inside edges of the wing, with the wider segments clipped into the fuselage.

I'm pretty sure he was clever with the big Delta wings. I think what we're seeing is the inside edges of the wing, with the wider segments clipped into the fuselage.

I don't think so, look at the rear control surfaces. He's almost certainly using tweak or procedural.

I tried this, I couldn't get it into orbit. Can you provide a quick guide to getting it into space please?

You can find ascent instruction in download link aka "Flight guide", follow this instruction by exactly manner and you should have no problem with ascent to orbit. This craft has tight margins for piloting errors with full load.

Edited by Mesklin

Oh, I get it now. Yup, it could be. If it isn't, I'm doing it at some point anyway, because it should work. :)

I don't think so, look at the rear control surfaces. He's almost certainly using tweak or procedural.

Those I have no issue with, actually. They look like standards BigS elevons.

Rune. Can we hear form the man himself?

Sleek low-drag stock SSTOs

Chibi Skylon Mk.1

Iv7Iq6j.png

Chibi Skylon Mk.1a

yv3OR70.png

[TABLE=width: 300]

[TR]

[TD]Max take-off weight[/TD]

[TD]65 t[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Max cargo weight[/TD]

[TD]17 t[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Approximate dV in LKO[/TD]

[TD]400 m/s[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Ascent Profile instructions and Craft files are available in the Imgur Album.

Edited by Val
Stock

I'm intrigued by the delta-v budget of the command pod once separated... and whether it's for re-entry, or just for show :)

It's a WiP, and meant to be a sample payload. Since then, I've had a rough encounter with gravity losses, and the whole thing is undergoing extensive redesign, with the idea of modular payloads being the first thing thrown out of the window, unless I give it a small boost stage.

Rune. I think I shouldn't be surprised, it's pretty much Heinlein 2.0.

Does anyone have an SSTO that can ferry passengers to the Mun and back? The best I can do so far is 8 passengers, in a 100 x 100 orbit, with about 900 delta-V. Which I think is about minimal needed just to do a Mun fly-by, not get into orbit. I was really hoping for something that could do a dozen or so Kerbals to low Mun orbit, and then return. Which means having about 1200 or even 1500 delta-V capable from 100x100 orbit. Is this impossible in stock KSP? Am I asking for too much?

It's a WiP, and meant to be a sample payload. Since then, I've had a rough encounter with gravity losses, and the whole thing is undergoing extensive redesign, with the idea of modular payloads being the first thing thrown out of the window, unless I give it a small boost stage.

Rune. I think I shouldn't be surprised, it's pretty much Heinlein 2.0.

Success! And 2.5mT payloads if you rip out the cabin are not out of the question. I'm a happy kerbal, it even floats upright. And all of ~150m/s as margin in 75x75km LKO!

FA7UCF1.png

lN1MtL9.png

0C8xpWN.png

Rune. Fuel routing was more than troublesome.

Edited by Rune

Why's that man?

Well, in order for it to remain stable, fuel has to flow upwards, so the CoM moves forward. Otherwise I would have to make it too stable to fall ass-first afterwards, during reentry. But when I set the fuel lines accordingly, I got like a gazillion symmetry bugs that made the tanks drain unevenly. It's the part of the design that actually took me more reverts until I finally got it right.

Rune. And a symmetry fuel drain bug mean pretty much a full rebuild because they are almost untraceable.