SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Hi all, I am currently playing a new career game (new mod setup) and I had a try with something at an average tech level.

I came up with a quite uncommon ramjet/terrier setup that has good advantages - a couple of tourists to LKO are enough to pay for it and you do not need to reach too far in the tech tree to be able to launch it to say the least.

You will need both the SPH and the strip upgraded to tier 2. Being tier 2 the action buttons are absent, intakes and engines need to be manually operated.

5 kerbs crew - 30239$

38 parts (1 ramjet/2 terriers)

24.4t

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft file >>>HERE<<<

EDIT: to take off and reach orbit just pitch 4°. Stage to light the terriers @20000m, the ramjet will go out around 24500m. Manually close the intakes and switch off the ramjet. The RCS action button will then switch on the jet and turn off the terriers when RCS is ON. (tier 2 workaround attempt)

Edited by Signo

Hi all, I am currently playing a new career game (new mod setup) and I had a try with something at an average tech level.

I came up with a quite uncommon ramjet/terrier setup that has good advantages - a couple of tourists to LKO are enough to pay for it and you do not need to reach too far in the tech tree to be able to launch it to say the least.

You will need both the SPH and the strip upgraded to tier 2. Being tier 2 the action buttons are absent, intakes and engines need to be manually operated.

5 kerbs crew - 30239$

38 parts (1 ramjet/2 terriers)

24.4t

http://imgur.com/a/mmmzi

Craft file >>>HERE<<<

EDIT: to take off and reach orbit just pitch 4°. Stage to light the terriers @20000m, the ramjet will go out around 24500m. Manually close the intakes and switch off the ramjet. The RCS action button will then switch on the jet and turn off the terriers when RCS is ON. (tier 2 workaround attempt)

That looks very much like the last SSTO I did in career before pretty much maxing out the science tree and being able to roll out my big guns (i.e: the longsword). This lil' thing made literally millions hauling satellites and passengers up there:

kabaa9K.png

Rune. The Turbo+Terrier used to be one of the most efficient combos before the RAPIER, you could call it an old classic.

Rune. The Turbo+Terrier used to be one of the most efficient combos before the RAPIER, you could call it an old classic.

Yes, it is indeed.

I love that design of yours, I think I will give a try to something similar.

That looks very much like the last SSTO I did in career before pretty much maxing out the science tree and being able to roll out my big guns (i.e: the longsword). This lil' thing made literally millions hauling satellites and passengers up there:

http://i.imgur.com/kabaa9K.png

That is one sharp looking little ship

Yes, it is indeed.

I love that design of yours, I think I will give a try to something similar.

Thanks! It's a bit lighter than yours (~18mT) and thus has a tiny bit less payload, but that gives you a faster ascent and as long as you can pack a probe and capsule in the cargo bay to do a couple of sat contracts every time you rescue a kerbal...

That is one sharp looking little ship

Yup, I thought so. I'm tempted to still use it even now that I have RAPIERs... it gets much less top speed on airbreathers before you run out of air, but to balance that it has quite the respectable rocket dV.

Rune. And more importantly, I can't get a small RAPIER design the looks as good, with that much payload and so few parts.

Nice to see a change from the usual flat backed delta :)

I am experimenting with shapes to save fuel, so I am currently flying a few weird things: according to MJ tools the one you can see below is the least draggy thing I have in my hangar - almost 50% less than the Morgaine... Stock aero always finds new way to surprise me...

ISzARs2.png

This SSTO is so simple it'd be a waste of time uploading a picture. It can carry 2.5t to LKO. Top to bottom, it is built as follows: 1x Probe Body, 1x 2.5m Fairing, 2x Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank, 8x AV-R8 winglets, 1x Rockomax Mainsail engine.

Latest in my Gliido series: 2xNERVA and 2xRAPIER in airbreathing mode only--carries no oxidant. Meant to ferry passengers around in Kerbin SOI but could easily do long haul interplanetary with refueling.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

In the last album image the Gliido is arriving at an orbital station 400km up with 99m/s deltaV to spare. I think I was not climbing fast enough in the 30-55km region and wasted some fuel fighting drag longer than I had to; I'll squeeze a bit more out of it next time.